By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - What do you think are the biggest problems of modern society?

I'd say a mentality that people deserve better jobs than they are actually qualified for, namely, when many unemployed people complain about a lack of job opportunities, now I know that there really aren't that many good jobs out there, but far too many people are only looking for good jobs when they should really be aiming a bit lower down the pay scale to average and even poor in some cases

Around the Network

Short term thinking. The pursuit of profits as the only goal that matters, and mostly short term profits at that.
Modern society is build like a giant pyramid scheme. There's no long term sustainability and at some point the cheap resources will run out. Just like the financial pyramid scheme was not sustainable and led to the financial crisis we will run into the same problems with the earth.

Capitalistic greed... Yup that about sums it up.

O you know what we should do ease up the taxes on big business to expand our economy. Yeah that sounds like it will work. This way big shot ceo's can inject more of that money to help expand our economy. Or what would really happen, these CEO's get an even larger raise, or fatter bonus check each quarter. Then again at least yacht sales would increase.

Clearly, the problem is, "stupidity."

Oh, I missed the "s," on problems, so, I guess I'll add,

"People not paying attention to things."

It's not really surprising anymore with how much you can get away with now because people's attentions have been focused on reality tv.  While, their world around them changes...  Do you know how many dams in the US are ill-maintained and are waiting to burst...  It's just going to take one good storm...  In many states, from florida to California..

The sewer systems are bad, too, and, I could just go on forever about all the problems.  But, then, i'd just go off on a ramble and not stop until somehow getting aliens into the conversation, and about how hollywood, and sarcastic people have altered their image...

I would love to have a conversation with one, and find out if my theories on life, death, higher dimensions, and all else is even correct.  Wouldn't that be better, than waiting around watching the newest episode of 16 and pregnant?...

+

Around the Network

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/15/world/africa/in-nigeria-a-preview-of-an-overcrowded-planet.html

Here's a fun problem.

ǝןdɯıs ʇı dǝǝʞ oʇ ǝʞıן ı ʍouʞ noʎ 

Ask me about being an elitist jerk

Time for hype

A culture that rewards exploitation and connections more than hard work and merit?

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

TeddostheFireKing said:
I'd say a mentality that people deserve better jobs than they are actually qualified for, namely, when many unemployed people complain about a lack of job opportunities, now I know that there really aren't that many good jobs out there, but far too many people are only looking for good jobs when they should really be aiming a bit lower down the pay scale to average and even poor in some cases

A lot of people can't aim as low as they would like. For instance, having a bachelor's degree more or less disqualifies you from working at McDonald's, even if you'd need a McD's employment opportunity while you look for a "real," job, because McD's will pass you over due to overqualification. Some people have pie in the sky expectations, to be sure, but my guess is relatively few people who are out of work *really* could be working but aren't, but are rather caught in the many, many blind spots of the existing employment system, a system that has only grown more twisted since the bubble burst (like the "unemployed need not apply" phenomenon).

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Mr Khan said:
A culture that rewards exploitation and connections more than hard work and merit?

Yup. It's not what you know. It's who you know.

Many things that bugs me but that probably has been around since forever.

Most obvious and you see dialy is that people generally just don't respect one another. They don't respect the public/shared space. They don't respect the nature.

What do you think are the biggest problems of modern society?

People

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’