end Q2-3 2013 193 31.33%

end Q4 2013 165 26.79%

by october 2012 43 6.98%

Total:616
Jay520 said:
Wh1pL4shL1ve_007 said:
ZaneWane said:
maximrace said:
Ah the ps defence force! I think it took the ps3 quite long considering the superior brand name and ps2 dominance... Who should have thougt this 7years ago. But in the end it doens't matter... Only the true fanboys kick on this sort of gap philosophy... What matters is that both consoles were immensely popular and got awsome games ;) (coming from a big xboxfan... I just don't care about sale places... I only care about the games...

quoted for truth

Quoted for awesomeness. 

Why would you focus on such an old breakthrough (MS competing with the PS brand) when a more recent breakthrough is happening right now (the PS3 possibly catching the 360)?

Sure, the latter is a little old too, we saw that the PS3 was catching up since 2010. But it's still more relavent than something that was established in 2007/8

Because some people rather judge an overall situation instead of a few years. I think that the fact that microsoft realy competed with sony this gen is much more important than a stupid gap. Both are winners ( looking at the games, but one won more than the other)

Around the Network
pezus said:
ZaneWane said:
maximrace said:
Ah the ps defence force! I think it took the ps3 quite long considering the superior brand name and ps2 dominance... Who should have thougt this 7years ago. But in the end it doens't matter... Only the true fanboys kick on this sort of gap philosophy... What matters is that both consoles were immensely popular and got awsome games ;) (coming from a big xboxfan... I just don't care about sale places... I only care about the games...

quoted for truth

Nice of you to admit Playstation is a superior brand name. Didn't expect that

Well, I don't know for USA and UK but here in mainland Europe the playstation name is still far more powerfull than the xbox name. I know much people who bought a ps3 for the playstation in it and not for the games ( something I find too bad)

maximrace said:

Because some people rather judge an overall situation instead of a few years. I think that the fact that microsoft realy competed with sony this gen is much more important than a stupid gap. Both are winners ( looking at the games, but one won more than the other)

It may be more important but it's not really interesting right now. We all knew that Microsoft could compete with Sony long ago. That fact was established in 2007. It was solidified in 2008. People have already talked about it in 2007-9. Talking about it now doesn't make sense imo.

What's happening now though, although it may be less important, is more interesting at the moment. We still don't know when, or if, the PS3 will catch the X360. Will it be before the PS4 & 720 launches? It's more fun to speculate that than it is to discuss something that's been established since 2008.

lol before opening the thread i knew the thread is from turkish. this playstation obsession is serious business^^

maximrace said:
pezus said:
ZaneWane said:
maximrace said:

quoted for truth

Nice of you to admit Playstation is a superior brand name. Didn't expect that

Well, I don't know for USA and UK but here in mainland Europe the playstation name is still far more powerfull than the xbox name. I know much people who bought a ps3 for the playstation in it and not for the games ( something I find too bad)

yeah in germany EVERYONE knows playstation and not many parents as example know xbox and if they talk about a console they say "playstation" and not "console". it's a huge brand at least here in germany. no wonder with the football advertisement in championsleague games for a decade or so but still impressive.

Around the Network

well this thread really riled up the xbox fanbase didn't it?
now i'm not one to care much about gaps or sales or whatever but the meltdowns in this thread are amusing though

Ah, after 7 years of arguing this generation, hardware sales finally no longer matter to detractors of the PS3.

Such a surprise.

(You can bet that when 360 gets that Halo 4 boost the raw numbers will start to matter all over again though)

Where did the adjustments happen, because 2011 sales look very similar today compared to when I last checked them? I thought as at 1 Jan 2011 the VGC LTD sales totals looked pretty reasonable in comparison to each company's LTD shipped totals.

Personally I hope next gen sees all 3 consoles taking around 33% market share. If the home console market is around say 240 million then I think each of the big 3 getting around 80 million in sales is fantastic. I think Nintendo fans are fortunate that PS3 and 360 is dogging Wii's tail more than any 2nd and 3rd placed consoles have in past generations. It's put Nintendo on notice that it can't take its market for granted, a lesson hard learned by Nintendo and Sony in the past. MS has hopefully learned that first to market is only a winning advantage if you have a durable product, who knows how much RROD hurt 360's fortunes, but I think MS squandered much of its 1 year head start because of RROD.

It doesn't really matter what the final install base is. The fact of the matter is Sony managed to get PS3 to take off and be a globally competitive console just in time for it to have a significant role to play in the generation. A year later and it would have been too late. A year sooner would have been better obviously. Who knows how much 2008's financial meltdown affected PS3 and Sony, being the most expensive console on the market at the time. Is it coincidence that Sony was profitable up to 2008 and then has had losses every year since? I think the GFC was a big problem for Sony and they failed to move with the times? PS3 was coming close to making inroads into the console market in 2008, it wasn't timely for them to do much with PS3, but with everything else they make and do there should have been re-evaluations of how their brand could stay relevant in a world where wallets were being shut.

Will PS3 end up out-selling / out-shipping 360? Yes, especially if PS3 stays on the market for the same amount of time as 360, but probably it will even being on the market for 1 year less than 360. 360 will widen the gap again at Christmas, where Kinect moves a lot of consoles and USA's importance to console sales has its biggest effect. It's a significant achievement for PS3 to have started where it did, and eventually end up reigning in that lead, particularly after it ballooned to 9 million, and for it to be outselling Wii more weeks than not for the last year, and certainly all the way up to the launch of the Wii U (or until Wii's price drops to clearance sales levels).

Well done Wii for rehabilitating Nintendo in the home console market. Well done 360 for doubling (soon enough) the sales of Xbox. Well done PS3 for being a qualified success, staying relevant and giving PS4 a fighting chance. Well done gamers, it's been a great generation for us.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

binary solo said:
Where did the adjustments happen, because 2011 sales look very similar today compared to when I last checked them? I thought as at 1 Jan 2011 the VGC LTD sales totals looked pretty reasonable in comparison to each company's LTD shipped totals.

Personally I hope next gen sees all 3 consoles taking around 33% market share. If the home console market is around say 240 million then I think each of the big 3 getting around 80 million in sales is fantastic. I think Nintendo fans are fortunate that PS3 and 360 is dogging Wii's tail more than any 2nd and 3rd placed consoles have in past generations. It's put Nintendo on notice that it can't take its market for granted, a lesson hard learned by Nintendo and Sony in the past. MS has hopefully learned that first to market is only a winning advantage if you have a durable product, who knows how much RROD hurt 360's fortunes, but I think MS squandered much of its 1 year head start because of RROD.

It doesn't really matter what the final install base is. The fact of the matter is Sony managed to get PS3 to take off and be a globally competitive console just in time for it to have a significant role to play in the generation. A year later and it would have been too late. A year sooner would have been better obviously. Who knows how much 2008's financial meltdown affected PS3 and Sony, being the most expensive console on the market at the time. Is it coincidence that Sony was profitable up to 2008 and then has had losses every year since? I think the GFC was a big problem for Sony and they failed to move with the times? PS3 was coming close to making inroads into the console market in 2008, it wasn't timely for them to do much with PS3, but with everything else they make and do there should have been re-evaluations of how their brand could stay relevant in a world where wallets were being shut.

Will PS3 end up out-selling / out-shipping 360? Yes, especially if PS3 stays on the market for the same amount of time as 360, but probably it will even being on the market for 1 year less than 360. 360 will widen the gap again at Christmas, where Kinect moves a lot of consoles and USA's importance to console sales has its biggest effect. It's a significant achievement for PS3 to have started where it did, and eventually end up reigning in that lead, particularly after it ballooned to 9 million, and for it to be outselling Wii more weeks than not for the last year, and certainly all the way up to the launch of the Wii U (or until Wii's price drops to clearance sales levels).

Well done Wii for rehabilitating Nintendo in the home console market. Well done 360 for doubling (soon enough) the sales of Xbox. Well done PS3 for being a qualified success, staying relevant and giving PS4 a fighting chance. Well done gamers, it's been a great generation for us.

Haha. 

what i learned from this hread is that, if 6 yr.'s of talking about what a console can't/won't do, doesn't matter, then it shouldn't have been brought up in the first place.

then again, we are human, so i don't look forward to doing this next gen., cause by the time the 8th gen. ends, i'll likely be 35 and really won't care any more than i do now. and i don't.