By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - If Nintendo played the Sony hype game.....

Should they?

Yes! Go into their house! 14 20.00%

No. Do not stoop to that level... 41 58.57%

See results 15 21.43%

Total:70

No, they shouldn't.

Simply because of hardware limitations.

Around the Network

If my memory still working. nintendo did the same with the "ultra 64" that deliver silicon graphic 3d

But we must first concentrate ourselves on the way to entertain people, for video games to live. Else, it's a world where sales representative will win, which has as effect to kill creativity. I want to say to the creators all around the world:"Courage, Dare!". Shigeru Miyamoto.

1. It is still a rumour that the WiiU will be Power7-based...

2. I never remembered in Nintendo's history that they ever talk about the hardware.

sam987 said:

2. I never remembered in Nintendo's history that they ever talk about the hardware.

C'mon... Nintendo changed a lot. They were never Sony level ("PS2 is not the future of videogaming entertainment. It IS the future of entertainment. Period.")  but they had their share of hyping the hardware too, specially in the SNES and N64 era.

RolStoppable said:
Is this actually serious? If not, good job. You got me.

The hype game only works, if you release after your competitor(s). Since the Wii U will launch first, the reality of things will be known before Sony and Microsoft bring their machines to the market.

But they did it after the PS2, too.  Sony gave out these crazy specs of what the PS2 would be able to do and Nintendo gave out some specs of what the Gamecube would be able to do.  People complained and Nintendo had to come out and say something like "Sony's specs while true are based on an ideal situation that it will never be able to achieve while the Gamecubes specs are based in reality with effects turned on" or something like that.  And when the 'Cube released, it was indeed more powerful.  

They did release this, though:

So I guess Nintendo isn't above hyping.

Around the Network
sam987 said:

Nintendo 64 says hi.

axumblade said:
NintendoPie said:
And look, we still don't have Toy Story quality graphics.

Ratchet & Clank graphics were up there around Toy Story quality imo....x.o

Otherwise, I don't think anything was trying too hard to get Toy Story like.

Uh.... What?  Where do you get your weed, because that is some good shit.  Nothing has touched toy story yet, not even the first one. 

Ninty would do well,not to mislead everyone.  That is Sony's game, ps2 was a world beating machine more powerful than supercrays. PS3 they tried to pass off the pre rendered movies as game footage.  

Ninty needs to have lots of tight demos ready with exciting game play.  Less Red Steel like tv spots, remember how epic that looked? 

No, I can't agree with that. Well, maybe if you are playing on a small SD TV. My buddy has that game, it is gorgeous, but not up to the level of a Pixar or Dreamworks film, that is hyperbole. The problem is movable joints, fluidity of surfaces, things that a game console can't recreate, the small details. It takes those film companies millions of dollars and huge server banks to render those animations. Perhaps the non-gameplay sections looked that good, but not the real gameplay sections. The lighting effects just aren't doable in real time on anything but the most custom tricked out PC (and honestly you would have to mod any existing game code to work solely on custom hardware, probably not even doable then).

Here is an HD video of Ratchet and Clank Crack in Time, in HD in action: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XV0fIcc1kaU

Here is Toy Story, in 360p, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zB2gPZRsz0Q. Even though the models arent as nuanced and detailed as they are now, the lighting effects blow anything that a console could do out of the water. The ray tracing algorithms that you need to run to get this kind of performance isn't doable in real time, not on a console.

iasta said:
If my memory still working. nintendo did the same with the "ultra 64" that deliver silicon graphic 3d

Kind of. If my memory serves me right, they mentioned movie effects seen in movies like Jurassic Park and Terminator 2. I think the T2 reference was about a level of mirroring in polygons, such as what's seen with Metal Mario in Mario 64. Somebody wish to enlighten me about the Jurassic Park effect, though?

amp316 said:
They need to hire Kevin Butler.

These are funny enough: