By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - If Nintendo played the Sony hype game.....

Should they?

Yes! Go into their house! 14 20.00%

No. Do not stoop to that level... 41 58.57%

See results 15 21.43%

Total:70
fordy said:
Sal.Paradise said:
fordy said:

You obviously don't remember the pre-N64 hype do you? Project Reality ring any bells?

"The venture known as Project Reality, will create Nintendo's next generation gaming system and combine three-dimensional graphics of the quality seen in films such as Jurassic Park and Terminator 2, with high- fidelity sound and an interaction speed around 10-15 times faster than the current 16-bit games."

Project Reality, the first application of Nintendo's Reality Immersion Technology, will allow video game players to interact with virtual, infinitely evolving worlds which react instantaneously to their commands and whims."

"Nintendo reckons the work with Silicon Graphics will enable it to skip a generation "

The quote I saw didn't talk about graphics quality, rather graphic techniques used in such films. As I mentioned in an earlier post, the technique they were mentioning from Terminator 2 was polygon mirroring, the technique that makes Metal Mario look....metal. Not sure what technique they were talking about in Jurassic park, though

As for "allow video game players to interact with virtual, infinitely evolving worlds which react instantaneously to their commands and whims", that's called a state machine. They're in all games, so it's basically like saying "The Nintendo 64 can play games". 

I'd love to see the "skip a generation" quote. Not because I don't believe you, just for the fact that Sony thought they could do the same thing with the PS3.

So what you're saying is, apart from a single graphical effect that makes something look shiny, they're all BS :)

Quote here: http://www.cbronline.com/news/project_reality_nintendo_turns_to_silicon_graphics_for_mips_chips_graphics_engine

Around the Network
Sal.Paradise said:
fordy said:
Sal.Paradise said:
fordy said:

You obviously don't remember the pre-N64 hype do you? Project Reality ring any bells?

"The venture known as Project Reality, will create Nintendo's next generation gaming system and combine three-dimensional graphics of the quality seen in films such as Jurassic Park and Terminator 2, with high- fidelity sound and an interaction speed around 10-15 times faster than the current 16-bit games."

Project Reality, the first application of Nintendo's Reality Immersion Technology, will allow video game players to interact with virtual, infinitely evolving worlds which react instantaneously to their commands and whims."

"Nintendo reckons the work with Silicon Graphics will enable it to skip a generation "

The quote I saw didn't talk about graphics quality, rather graphic techniques used in such films. As I mentioned in an earlier post, the technique they were mentioning from Terminator 2 was polygon mirroring, the technique that makes Metal Mario look....metal. Not sure what technique they were talking about in Jurassic park, though

As for "allow video game players to interact with virtual, infinitely evolving worlds which react instantaneously to their commands and whims", that's called a state machine. They're in all games, so it's basically like saying "The Nintendo 64 can play games". 

I'd love to see the "skip a generation" quote. Not because I don't believe you, just for the fact that Sony thought they could do the same thing with the PS3.

So what you're saying is, apart from a single graphical effect that makes something look shiny, they're all BS :)

Quote here: http://www.cbronline.com/news/project_reality_nintendo_turns_to_silicon_graphics_for_mips_chips_graphics_engine

Nope, I'm saying that those quotes were based on the SE techniques used from those movies, not the actual grade.

The quote, by the way, states this:

"Nintendo reckons the work with Silicon Graphics will enable it to skip a generation and go straight to true 64-bit, three-dimensional video entertainment."

This quote does not mean it was thinking that it could survuve with the Nintendo 64 could go into the same generation as the PS2. It means that Nintendo skipped a generation beforehand, and they're right in a way. check the publish date of this article:

23 August 1993

In the years preceding the Playstation gen, console generations were commonly identified by the algorithmic bitrate of the CPU. Starting from the videogame crash, we had the NES, containing a MOS 65C02, an 8bit CPU. Sega upped the ante with the Motorola 68K, 16bit CPU in the Megadrive/Genesis, and Nintendo followed suit with the MOS 65C816 16bit CPU. Thus, the Megadrive and SNES were in the same "generation". 

The successor to the SNES, if the correct pattern was used, should have been a 32bit CPU, but they effectively "skipped a generation" and went straight to 64bit. This was what the quote was implying. Besides the failed Jaguar (which some have argued does not have a true 64bit CPU), a 64bit CPU was very unprecedented at the time, considering the PC itself was still in the 32bit era (some special instructions from MMX could process 64bit, but the main registers of the Pentium/Pentium II were still 32bit). The main CPUs at the time that ran 64bit were the IRIX workstations developed by Silicon Graphics. 

Nintendo doesn't need hype...just a demo of a hd zelda will make people have an organism