By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Official Xenoblade thread- Opinions, thoughts and questions inside! Can it hit 1mil in sales next year? Sequel coming for Wii U???

What is the best 'major' area in the game?

Colony 9 39 12.34%

Bionis' Leg 83 26.27%

The Marsh 20 6.33%

The Forest 17 5.38%

The Sea 24 7.59%

The Mountain 13 4.11%

The Valley 5 1.58%

Fallen Arm 22 6.96%

The Field of Metal 9 2.85%

See results! 73 23.10%

Total:305
Pineapple said:

I think I got slightly past Prison Island before I gave up on the game. It's easily one of the games I've enjoyed playing the least, mostly because the main character (Shulk?) is incredibly annoying. He's easily the most annoying main character in a game I've played. The evil metal faced person whose name eludes me was ridiculously annoying too. And the plot so far being mostly "I want revenge on the person who killed the girl I liked" was quite horrid too.

Apart from that, it's a nice game.

Then you should play  a little more in the story, and you will see it's no simple "I want revenge". Really the story gets SO MUCH better.

Conegamer said:
Right, so I just got to the Marsh again. 13 hours now. Still loving the game, and forgot how great the night-time music is...it just feels so...right...

Yeah, the music in that area is epic, and the ether flowing... I remember when I first got to Satorl Marsh, I was like "Meh, I prefer Bionis Leg and it's music", and then Nightime came...

Plezbo said:
MRKs said:

To anyone who is in the first 20hrs ~ 35hrs of the story, please wait to get to Prison Island and every moment in the story will be epic. The final part of the game is truly mindblowing, so just wait :)

Ok, Hold on here, I am only 15 hours in, and I love this game already.  You are telling me it gets MUCH better?  See I don't know if I can handle that.  I feel the sense of wonderment that I did the first time I played Earthbound.  OH man 5 o'clock can't come fast enough, SOOOOOOOO psyched to rip through some more Xenoblade.  

Thanks Operation Rainfall. 

Yes, you will love it MUCH more, the story gets epic and the places gets bigger. Altough I still prefer the early zones, maybe because I spent half of my playing time in there :P

3DS FC :  4339 - 3326 - 7693. Add me :) Nickname Tin

Around the Network
Pineapple said:

I think I got slightly past Prison Island before I gave up on the game. It's easily one of the games I've enjoyed playing the least, mostly because the main character (Shulk?) is incredibly annoying. He's easily the most annoying main character in a game I've played. The evil metal faced person whose name eludes me was ridiculously annoying too. And the plot so far being mostly "I want revenge on the person who killed the girl I liked" was quite horrid too.

I agree that Shulk's movtivation is lame in the beginning. I mean, we're on this grand adventure for the first ~30 hours because the character's motivation is to destroy a bunch a robots (I'm mad and have no actual plan! Let's kill them all!)? Definitely not the best way to start things off. You definitely notice the story start to drag at Makna Forest, just because the whole "revenge" theme is so shallow and straight-forward. Thankfully there's some subplots along the way, like the High Entia subplot before Prison Island, that keep things from getting too stale.

However, you said that you ended right after Prison Island? Because that's where I found myself actually interested in the main story again. Shulk finally stops being Kratos (You bad! I kill you!) once you realize who the silver faced Mechon is. I mean, I'm definitely a lot more interested in pushing further into the story to find out more. Before all this I actually wondered if XenoBlade would have made a better anime than a game (because let's face it, this is one cut-scene happy game...), but now I'm finally on a point in the game that I can get behind (I'm in the mountain area) and am excited to play more.

Smeags said:
Pineapple said:

I agree that Shulk's movtivation is lame in the beginning. I mean, we're on this grand adventure for the first ~30 hours because the character's motivation is to destroy a bunch a robots (I'm mad and have no actual plan! Let's kill them all!)? Definitely not the best way to start things off. You definitely notice the story start to drag at Makna Forest, just because the whole "revenge" theme is so shallow and straight-forward. Thankfully there's some subplots along the way, like the High Entia subplot before Prison Island, that keep things from getting too stale.

However, you said that you ended right after Prison Island? Because that's where I found myself actually interested in the main story again. Shulk finally stops being Kratos (You bad! I kill you!) once you realize who the silver faced Mechon is. I mean, I'm definitely a lot more interested in pushing further into the story to find out more. Before all this I actually wondered if XenoBlade would have made a better anime than a game (because let's face it, this is one cut-scene happy game...), but now I'm finally on a point in the game that I can get behind (I'm in the mountain area) and am excited to play more.

Yeah it doesn't seem to make sense. The issues he had were non-issues for me (Shulk's motivation was actually there rather than just a mopey kid)

You in the mountains now? Nice! Did you like the stuff on Prison Island then? Interesting to say the least, and the music which played during the scene with Metal Face and the Emperor is awesome!

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Conegamer said:

Yeah it doesn't seem to make sense. The issues he had were non-issues for me (Shulk's motivation was actually there rather than just a mopey kid)

You in the mountains now? Nice! Did you like the stuff on Prison Island then? Interesting to say the least, and the music which played during the scene with Metal Face and the Emperor is awesome!

Yeah, at least he wasn't whiney. Still a good guy (which is nice), but his motivation for such a grand adventure was pretty meh overall.

But now, now I'm really interested to see what's happening. There are bigger things going on in this world than I was initially aware of, and it's definitely interesting. The story has definitely picked up, which I'm glad to see.

Those giant manta rays in the initial parts of the mountain are tough (I was level 43 when I started, and even one of them gave me trouble). It's amazing what 1-2 level boost (now level 45) can do to change a battle.

Smeags said:
Pineapple said:

Uh, I haven't found out who the Silver Faced Mechon is. It's possible I didn't finish Prison Island, then. All I remember is deciding to stop the game unless Prison Island was interesting, and then it just ended up being Shulk screaming at Metal Face again, so I stopped playing. Mind you, I haven't played the game since a month after the EU release, which is nearly half a year now, so my memory might be slipping a bit.

You've convinced me, though, I'll play the game again later at some point. I have other games now, but when they're done, it's Xenoblade time.

Edit: No, wait, a quick check tells me I did finish Prison Island (presuming the scene with the prison island scene ends with the emperor and metal face, and the Silver Faced Mechon has a 5-character name).

Around the Network
Pineapple said:

Uh, I haven't found out who the Silver Faced Mechon is. It's possible I didn't finish Prison Island, then. All I remember is deciding to stop the game unless Prison Island was interesting, and then it just ended up being Shulk screaming at Metal Face again, so I stopped playing. Mind you, I haven't played the game since a month after the EU release, which is nearly half a year now, so my memory might be slipping a bit.

You've convinced me, though, I'll play the game again later at some point. I have other games now, but when they're done, it's Xenoblade time.

Yeah. I would just suggest going back and watching that whole cut-scene again. When Shulk (yes it's Shulk, and yes it's a silly name ) realizes who the Silver Faced Mechon is, his movitvation (as well as the game's focus) changes from a lackluster one to one that actually suits the game quite well. There are bigger things going on in this world than Shulk realizes, and now he's going out to try and make sense of things... which befits a game which takes place on two collossal deceased gods.

I mean, it's a pretty incredible setting, yet all we got was some thinly veiled revenge plot? XenoBlade deserved better... and I think (as I've just started this new twist in the story) that we're starting to get the story that fits such a mysterious yet compelling world.

Soriku said:

Shulk's motivation is to get revenge but also find out the truth about the Mechon. I mean, what other motivation could he have had? Most people are in the shadow about the reasons for the attack by that point, and it's not even explained till a little later from where you're at now Smeags.

It's still a shallow one, that's all I'm saying (and to be clear, you're probably right. It may not be shallow for Shulk as a character, but for the player, and the whole of the XenoBlade universe... it's not the best motivation to go out on). I mean, it's kind of silly when Shulk is talking to the Emperor when he's try ing to gain access to Prison Island. "So why do you want to go there?" "Revenge.". That's it. No more, no less. And like I said before, the different subplots througout the first 30 hours (Sharla and Juju, Melia's assassination attempt) helped to hold up the story... but you know something's a bit off when the subplots are much more interesting than the main plotline... which is that Shulk is mad and wants to kill Metal Face. That's it. It wasn't even "find out the truth about the Mechon" until the events at Prison Island (which I agree have made the main story much more intriguing), and at that point there's also the mystery about Alvis (the dude hasn't been trustworthy since his first apprearance ), Zanza's true intentions, and the mysterious characters on Mechonis (including the Silver Faced Mechon).

So yes, the story definitely picks up after the events of Prison Island... it just took us 30 hours to get there. Also, I won't pretend that the story is the only reason I'm playing this game, as the enviornments and battle system are definitely great and worthy of praise. I play games to play games, and I wouldn't continue if I wasn't having a good time with it (Example: I ended up just watching YouTube videos of Metal Gear Solid 2 because I didn't like playing it ). So I've enjoyed myself. So even if I wasn't totally satisfied with the story at first, I was still enjoying everything else. Now the story has caught up with the rest of the game, and the experience is that much better.

Smeags said:
Soriku said:

Shulk's motivation is to get revenge but also find out the truth about the Mechon. I mean, what other motivation could he have had? Most people are in the shadow about the reasons for the attack by that point, and it's not even explained till a little later from where you're at now Smeags.

It's still a shallow one, that's all I'm saying (and to be clear, you're probably right. It may not be shallow for Shulk as a character, but for the player, and the whole of the XenoBlade universe... it's not the best motivation to go out on). I mean, it's kind of silly when Shulk is talking to the Emperor when he's try ing to gain access to Prison Island. "So why do you want to go there?" "Revenge.". That's it. No more, no less. And like I said before, the different subplots througout the first 30 hours (Sharla and Juju, Melia's assassination attempt) helped to hold up the story... but you know something's a bit off when the subplots are much more interesting than the main plotline... which is that Shulk is mad and wants to kill Metal Face. That's it. It wasn't even "find out the truth about the Mechon" until the events at Prison Island (which I agree have made the main story much more intriguing), and at that point there's also the mystery about Alvis (the dude hasn't been trustworthy since his first apprearance ), Zanza's true intentions, and the mysterious characters on Mechonis (including the Silver Faced Mechon).

So yes, the story definitely picks up after the events of Prison Island... it just took us 30 hours to get there. Also, I won't pretend that the story is the only reason I'm playing this game, as the enviornments and battle system are definitely great and worthy of praise. I play games to play games, and I wouldn't continue if I wasn't having a good time with it (Example: I ended up just watching YouTube videos of Metal Gear Solid 2 because I didn't like playing it ). So I've enjoyed myself. So even if I wasn't totally satisfied with the story at first, I was still enjoying everything else. Now the story has caught up with the rest of the game, and the experience is that much better.

glad to hear all of you enjoying the game. i'll get it later.

Smeags!! i don't think revenge is that bad of a plot, unless it's being told poorly/tedious, which is what i think you're saying. but you also say the plot changes a bit, which breaths life back into the story.

Smeags said:
Conegamer said:

Yeah, at least he wasn't whiney. Still a good guy (which is nice), but his motivation for such a grand adventure was pretty meh overall.

But now, now I'm really interested to see what's happening. There are bigger things going on in this world than I was initially aware of, and it's definitely interesting. The story has definitely picked up, which I'm glad to see.

Those giant manta rays in the initial parts of the mountain are tough (I was level 43 when I started, and even one of them gave me trouble). It's amazing what 1-2 level boost (now level 45) can do to change a battle.

It's pretty much the story of the game. But I'm glad you've got the motivation back! There's more plot points coming out of the next area, including THE big bad guy

Also, you'll be returning to Valak quite a lot through the game, as it's home to a lot of the big enemies (i.e. Lv.99-120) and also where quests end. Have you found all of the hidden areas? I doubt it!

Smeags said:
Soriku said:

Yeah, the game is very good. The stuff about Alvis won't be reveleaed until the very last moments of the game. Zanza's stuff will be revealed a bit later, and the mysterious Mechonis characters will also be revealed soon! 

Also, when you reach Mechonis field (4 areas after the mountains), you'd best make sure your affairs are in order on the two areas after the Mountains. I won't say any more, but something from WAAAAY at the beginning at the game comes back up. You'll see what I mean