By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Who's joining the new site Gamewise?

ioi said:
happydolphin said:
ioi said:

The site has doubled every year for the last 5 years so I'm not sure how the benefits are questionable? If the site had remained identical to how it was in 2007 it would likely still be an amateur thing that I was doing for 2-3 hours per day after work. So from my point of view the benefits are definitely not questionable. Same, I imagine, with the 40-50 people who have worked for the site in that time - had the chance to attend events like E3 to meet their heroes, play the latest games and in many cases get a foot into the industry.

It all depends on your point of view and how you measure "success" I guess.

What of the pro numbers, I don't fit in any of the categories mentioned and don't dare apply for pro? I'm not a journalist, not an analyst, I'm just an amateur on the only sales-dedicated video game website on the planet (as far as I know). Why don't you offer us some kind of package and capitalize on the lower bracket? Don't be like Nintendo, be smart!

The main difference between Pro and the standard site is that you see all 4000 games each week rather than just the top 100. I'm not against providing a low-level paid package but at what level do you suggest? Top 200 games? Is it really worth paying for vs top 100 games then?

A bunch of free graphing tools will be coming back to the standard site in good time - if these are the things you feel are lacking then let me know what you'd like and we can prioritise them.

Yes! Ioi, we desperately need to be able to track Console performance over time, and individual game performances over time.

When I argue with some of my peers on titles like Mario, with the current tools I can in all feasibility only work with final sales numbers (if I wanted weekly trends I would have to compile the data over 5 years myself). For example, my peer tells me 3D Mario sells less well than 2D Mario. I want to track Super Mario 3D Land over the weeks and compare that to how NSMB tracked in its first weeks. Having two curves to work with and being able to export the data in excel so as to place them on one graph would really help alot.

If this comes standard in the next version of the site I'm very glad, but if it requires a premium, I think I would be more than willing to give 5$ a month for some advanced tools and a dedicated feedback section, and I'd be surprised to think I'm the only one to think so. (btw I really appreciate you hearing our requests)

Around the Network
ioi said:
Dr.Grass said:

Well, a ton of work must've gone into the constant revisions to the site. From a casual user's perspective the benefits have been questionable. I just get the impression that the success (i.e. user count etc.) of the site wouldn't have differed drastically if the site still exactly resembled the site I discovered in 2007.

The site has doubled every year for the last 5 years so I'm not sure how the benefits are questionable? If the site had remained identical to how it was in 2007 it would likely still be an amateur thing that I was doing for 2-3 hours per day after work. So from my point of view the benefits are definitely not questionable. Same, I imagine, with the 40-50 people who have worked for the site in that time - had the chance to attend events like E3 to meet their heroes, play the latest games and in many cases get a foot into the industry.

It all depends on your point of view and how you measure "success" I guess.

Fair I guess.

But when I referred to 'benefits' I was talking about the user's benefits.

Still, I take it back.

ioi said:

A bunch of free graphing tools will be coming back to the standard site in good time - if these are the things you feel are lacking then let me know what you'd like and we can prioritise them.

That's where the initial appeal was. Kewl.

I shall be joining the new site certainly!

I don't like change. It makes me uncomfortable. I'll likely stay here.

Around the Network
ioi said:
Dr.Grass said:

That was my point, it depends on your point of view on the whole thing.

Which user benefits in particular would you like to see on VGChartz for you to feel the experience exceeds what you had 5 years ago?

Anyway, do keep us posted on the sales tools. The changes that you brought to VGChartz over the years are really excellent. The forum buddy is super helpful, the front page is exciting the logos and graphics are really good, much better than in 1.0. There are always new ideas we could give you to make the social side of VGChartz grow (the most important in my eyes right beside sales expertize within the community), but what you've done so far vastly improves over the first config.

What you probably should do is offer customization options right out of the box and very easy to configure for things like image control(click this link to see image), change the theme to something less graphics intensive (for people on slow PCs). Allow the users to choose their look and feel for vgchartz and even allow it to get as simple as drupal or some basic bb like gaf, if they really wanted that look and feel on vgchartz. Then nobody will ever complain about latency on vgchartz again, it'll be up to them to choose it or not. I hope my ideas don't offend you I know the community is and will thrive but some ideas will just remove some hurdles to the site being even more successful on the long run!

I'll probably stay here, but I won't know for sure until I've checked the new site out :)

ioi said:

The main difference between Pro and the standard site is that you see all 4000 games each week rather than just the top 100. I'm not against providing a low-level paid package but at what level do you suggest? Top 200 games? Is it really worth paying for vs top 100 games then?

*cheers*

And i'll keep my promise and buy a gamrprint t-shirt if they do. (although I vaguely remember you saying they were coming back shortly after they were taken out for VGC 2.0)

ioi said:
Dr.Grass said:

Which user benefits in particular would you like to see on VGChartz for you to feel the experience exceeds what you had 5 years ago?

This is good customer service :)

I'll think about it, but all that really springs to mind is access to raw data. Chartz everywhere would be pretty.

ioi said:
Dr.Grass said:

I detailed the sales info stuff here in this post: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4485782

Ultimately if you brought back the old hardware graphs from 2008, and the software comparison graphs that had the same functions (I think they were introduced in late 2008 but were taken down along with HW graphs when VGC 2.0 launched), I would be quite happy as it just makes being able to use the site data much easier. The rest of the stuff like top 200 charts and being able to organise weekly charts I miss, but ultimately are no where near as useful as the graphs.

--

For the main forums (which i now understand are remaining with VGChartz) it would also be nice to regain the ability to colour our own text without resorting to clumsy html editing... I never really saw the validity of taking that feature out, it's a public forum it doesn't have to follow a consistant colour scheme (whatever you do adverts will negate any colour scheme you try to keep to) Being able to manipulate colour in tables is useful to help show trends and categories in a set of data.

--

Not sure what is going to happen regarding personal profiles... I'm not really fussy about most of the social networking stuff myself, however I do like the game collection side of things. It would be nice to have more ways of organising our collections if they stay here on VGC (sort by A-Z/date added/release date in addition to the platform) Also there was a VGC 2.0 feature that enabled me to easily find other users who have a specific game in their collection.