By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Now Wii U Is Less Powerful Than PS3/360? This Is Getting Stupid!

These Wii-U rumors of it being less powerful should be thrown out the window. The thing is already confirmed by numerous actually named developers to have more ram than the 360/PS3. Then IBM said the processor was more powerful than the one the 360 has (not sure compared to the cell) The processor will already have more cache. The thing can handle 720P while streaming to another controller which consoles nowadays can't properly do. Then we go to the graphics card, which if all rumors check out the graphics inside it will be numerous times more powerful than the 360/PS3. Spec wise, I don't see any physically possible way that the 360/PS3 can be more powerful and capable graphically than the Wii U. It just doesn't make sense.

Posting that from a previous thread.

Anyways, Nintendo has speculated on allowing the use of the 3ds as a controller in some situations. Which would be kind of cool.

Around the Network

Another source: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-04-02-wii-u-less-powerful-than-ps3-xbox-360-developers-say

"There aren't as many shaders, it's not as capable. Sure, some things are better, mostly as a result of it being a more modern design. But overall the Wii U just can't quite keep up"

VGKing said:
archbrix said:
Guys, the claims are almost certainly bogus. Gamesindustry.biz is the only site claiming these supposed two "anonymous" devs as a source. Every site reporting on this story is simply quoting this one site, and none of the major sites are reporting this in their news sections at all. Not IGN, not 1up, not Game Informer, not Game Trailers... that should tell you something right there.

It's two anonymous dev's claims against countless other REAL known developers including Crytek, Gearbox, THQ, Vigil, even freak'n Epic.

Seriously, anyone who thinks that an R700 GPU, POWER7 CPU and superior RAM/eDRAM equipped console won't be able to outperform the PS360 is in denial, plain and simple.

Gameindustry.biz isn't just some random site. It is a respectable site.(unlike Wii U Daily)

The reason these anonymous devs are anonymous is because they could get fired over saying stuff like this even if it is true.

I never said Gamesindustry.biz was "some random site"; what I said was it was the only site that received this information.  I will say that IGN is now running it in their news section as a rumor, but they are also pointing out contrasting statements from other devs such as Gearbox, meaning they're taking it with a grain of salt.  Point being, it's not the site's credibility that I'm questioning so much as it is their source.

Furthermore, I'm not confused as to why the developers would remain anonymous, but rather, why their comments seem to be in stark contrast with far more identified dev's opinions.  If we had no tech specs as of yet, and only two anonymous devs on each side, then it would be a 50/50 credibility issue.  But given the situation it just doesn't make sense.  I realize that you would like to believe it to be true, however the overwhelming majority of what we know so far says otherwise.

ethomaz said:
Another source: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-04-02-wii-u-less-powerful-than-ps3-xbox-360-developers-say

"There aren't as many shaders, it's not as capable. Sure, some things are better, mostly as a result of it being a more modern design. But overall the Wii U just can't quite keep up"

Nope, it's just the same source:  Gamesindustry.biz...

Here is something quoted from an IGN user quoting what devs have said which can be found on IGN

Now I have a good memory but some people need to format their brain just so they can fit in new info… preferable bad info

IGN = Shocking journalism.. very amateurish.
THQ: “WiiU is just a lot more powerful than current HD consoles it does 1080p very easy.”
Epic: “It will do things current HD consoles simply can't do, it's going to be a powerful box.”
Crytek: “WiiU devkits are very powerful,the specs are very good”
Vigil Games: “We had the game at the same level as high end pc version in a matter of days and a few lines of code got the game up and running on tablet in 5 mins.”
EA: “Wii U is not a transitional platform, it is a true next generation system.”
***IGN***: "Wii U 50% more powerful than PS3, twice as powerful as X360" !?!?!?! AMAZING!!!!

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

Around the Network

Roma said:

THQ: “WiiU is just a lot more powerful than current HD consoles it does 1080p very easy.”
Epic: “It will do things current HD consoles simply can't do, it's going to be a powerful box.”
Vigil Games: “We had the game at the same level as high end pc version in a matter of days and a few lines of code got the game up and running on tablet in 5 mins.”
EA: “Wii U is not a transitional platform, it is a true next generation system.”
***IGN***: "Wii U 50% more powerful than PS3, twice as powerful as X360" !?!?!?! AMAZING!!!!

And now we have one single anonymous developer saying the opposite, making everyone (or at least every website) shit their pants

Edit: Oh, plus that par rumor...

IIIIITHE1IIIII said:

Roma said:

And now we have one single anonymous developer saying the opposite, making everyone (or at least every website) shit their pants

Edit: Oh, plus that par rumor...

It’s stupid I tell ya!! HAHA

I call this “goldfish syndrome”

Roma said:

Lol! Why's that? XD

It is stupid though... really stupid.

NintendoPie said:

Lol! Why's that? XD

A goldfish's memory only lasts a few seconds (or maybe minutes, I dunno), meaning people only cares about the most recent rumors that they can remember :D

NintendoPie said:
Roma said:

Lol! Why's that? XD

Yup what THE1 said