By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Now Wii U Is Less Powerful Than PS3/360? This Is Getting Stupid!

ils411 said:
some use of common sense would benefit this thread

1. the ps3 and x360 tech are 6 years old and are still selling at the current price they are now. if the tech inside the wii u is to be more powerfull than the ps3 and the x360, then expect the price to be significantly highter

The XBox 360 Arcade model is regularly selling for $150 bundled with games and Microsoft is likely still breaking even or turning a profit. 

ils411 said:

2. the controller is a tablet, which would mean that it would cost a whole lot more than a standard controller, a crapy china tablet can go for $50 or so but its crappy as hell. if Nintendo expects the tablet controller to perform like a decent tablet, expect the price to go up by $80-$150 more.

It is not really a "tablet" being that it is a dummy device that doesn't contain most of the components of a tablet ... It is essentially a controller with a relatively small, relatively low resolution touch screen. While I would expect it to be more expensive than a controller to buy (due to accessories being high margin products) I don't expect it to have that significant of an impact on the price of the system.

Around the Network
HappySqurriel said:
ils411 said:

1. the ps3 and x360 tech are 6 years old and are still selling at the current price they are now. if the tech inside the wii u is to be more powerfull than the ps3 and the x360, then expect the price to be significantly highter

The XBox 360 Arcade model is regularly selling for $150 bundled with games and Microsoft is likely still breaking even or turning a profit. 

ils411 said:

2. the controller is a tablet, which would mean that it would cost a whole lot more than a standard controller, a crapy china tablet can go for $50 or so but its crappy as hell. if Nintendo expects the tablet controller to perform like a decent tablet, expect the price to go up by $80-$150 more.

It is not really a "tablet" being that it is a dummy device that doesn't contain most of the components of a tablet ... It is essentially a controller with a relatively small, relatively low resolution touch screen. While I would expect it to be more expensive than a controller to buy (due to accessories being high margin products) I don't expect it to have that significant of an impact on the price of the system.

1. it still stands that if the price is to be competitive, dont expect the wii u to be a whole lota more powerfull than the ps360 if it even is more powerfull.

2. it will still have a gpu and a processor and a touch screen, however low end it may be which will still equate to it being more expensive.

like i said, competitive pricing = same ballpark in terms of power when comparted to the ps360, more power = more expensive.

how hard is that to understand?

ils411 said:

Not necessarily.   It depends on the vendor pricing that the MS and Sony are receiving for their old hardware.  If Sony and MS are the only customers for those componenents, prices may not drop very much at this point and newer technology can actually cost less because of bulk rate manufacturing.

This is why you can buy a 1 TB hard drive for the same price as an 80 GB hard drive.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

ils411 said:

1. it still stands that if the price is to be competitive, dont expect the wii u to be a whole lota more powerfull than the ps360 if it even is more powerfull.

2. it will still have a gpu and a processor and a touch screen, however low end it may be which will still equate to it being more expensive.

like i said, competitive pricing = same ballpark in terms of power when comparted to the ps360, more power = more expensive.

how hard is that to understand?

Actually, no.  The tablet screen won't ahve a GPU and processor as the data is just a video stream from the Wii U.

Bossman112 said:
you guys cant be serious can you? this gives no sources at all and lets not all forget some comments made on the Wii U

THQ: “WiiU is just alot more powerful than current HD consoles it does 1080p very easy.”

Epic: “It will do things current HD consoles simply cant do its going to be a powerful box.”

Epic #2 "That Zelda demo was gorgeous and we can do even more than that "

Crytek: “WiiU devkits are very powerful,the specs are very good”

Vigil Games: “We had the game at the same level as high end pc version in a matter of days and a few lines of code got the game up and running on tablet in 5 mins.”

EA: "Wii U is not a transitional platform, it is a true next generation system."

Yep, this guy is right. It's all speculation at this point but most sources seem to indicate the Wii U is more powerful than the PS360, as expected. No need to jump onto the hate bandwagon, guys. 

Around the Network
Viper1 said:

Actually, no.  The tablet screen won't ahve a GPU and processor as the data is just a video stream from the Wii U.

now, wouldn't that be kinda disapointing. i'm no techie but wouldnt it still need some sort of processor to translate the touch on the touchscreen? or could that be done through the wii u itself?

now, if its just a screen and the video streamed from the wii u, the rumored one tablet per wii u capacity makes sense now.

ils411 said:
Viper1 said:

now, wouldn't that be kinda disapointing. i'm no techie but wouldnt it still need some sort of processor to translate the touch on the touchscreen? or could that be done through the wii u itself?

now, if its just a screen and the video streamed from the wii u, the rumored one tablet per wii u capacity makes sense now.

Nah, I've been more dissapointed before.

ils411 said:
Viper1 said:

It's all streamed from the Wii U.  However, the 1 Wii U tablet per console thing is a financial decision, not technical.    Nintendo already stated the Wii U could stream to more than 1 tablet at a time.  But it's the costs to consumers for buying more than 1 tablet controller that is at the heart of their internal debate.

ils411 said:
Viper1 said:

There isn't much more processing required to determine where a touch happened on a screen than is needed to know that a button was pressed ...

From a cost-effective perspective it is very good that the Wii U controller doesn't have significant processing power. For the cost to have a single stand-alone controller Nintendo can probably increase the processing power of the Wii U console to support 2 to 4 controllers. The unfortunate side effect is that, since all controllers would share resources, even if the Wii U supported more than 2 controllers few games would ever support more than 2 controllers.

Viper1 said:
ils411 said:
Viper1 said:

It's all streamed from the Wii U.  However, the 1 Wii U tablet per console thing is a financial decision, not technical.    Nintendo already stated the Wii U could stream to more than 1 tablet at a time.  But it's the costs to consumers for buying more than 1 tablet controller that is at the heart of their internal debate.

I rarely disagree with you, but I wouldn't completely make that assumption.
We know that the WiiU is limited in the main display if the padlet is being used for heavy graphical display. Multiply the padlet number by 2 and it could significantly affect performance, probably more than Nintendo is willing to bend to.

It's obviously all handled by the system, and games will take the resolution given the conditions of resource usage, but I'd bet that for technical reasons Nintendo preferred to avoid limiting graphics even further in the step-down scheme in a hypothetical case of 2 padlets, just my opinion.