Cast & Credits

Actor                                              Character

Roger Moore                               James Bond

Barbara Bach                              Anya Amasova

Curt Jurgens                                Karl Stromberg

Richard Kiel                                  Jaws

Directed by Lewis Gilbert

Original Running Time 2 hours and 5 minutes

Up until and including the Man With The Golden Gun, the Bond films were produced by two men, Albert R. Broccoli and Harry Saltzman.  Unfortunately, Harry Saltzman ran into a bunch of financial problems unrelated to the Bond films and was forced him to sell his share of the Bond franchise to United Artists.  After the lukewarm reception of The Man With The Golden Gun, Brocccoli and United Artists decided to take a huge gamble with The Spy Who Loved Me.  The production on it was over twice that of Brocoli and Saltzman's last project.  Basically they went all in on this film and the entire franchise's fate was held in the balance.  Another performance at the box office like the Man With The Golden Gun and the franchise probably would have died right here.  Many fans were concerned when it was announced that this was to be the first Bond film that wouldn't use any of Ian Fleming's material.  Why, you ask.  It's because Mr. Fleming couldn't stand his novel, The Spy Who Loved Me, and agreed that the title may be used, but not any of the story.  It was very up in the air how things were going to turn out for the Bond franchise in 1977, the year that this movie was released in theaters.  

After the ever present gunbarrel opening we see a British Naval crew in a nuclear submarine.  The vessel starts to shake, red lights flash , and alarms start to blare.  The ship's captain looks into the periscope and can't believe his eyes.  We are left in the dark about what is seen...  Apparently the British Navy aren't the only ones having trouble.  The head of Russian intelligence, General Gogol, tells Agent XXX, AKA Major Anya Amasova (played by Barbara "Mrs. Ringo Starr" Bach), that their battleship Potempkin has been abducted and puts her on the case.  Next, we see M asking that 007 pull out of his mission in Austria immediately.  After receiving his message, Bond skis off from a lovely young lady that happens to be a Russian spy.  Several adversaries tail Bond.  It's a good thing that Q equiped James with a ski pole that shoots rockets.  We are once again witnesses to Bond's other wordly skiing talents, but all of the ability in the world won't stop that cliff from coming up.  Instead of stopping and giving up he just keeps sprinting forward and blasts off into the great blue yonder like a bird without wings.  Bond's good but he can't fly, can he?  No he cannot, but he can still make his escape with a little help from the Union Jack.  I am not exaggerating when I say that not only is this my favorite Bond opening, but my favorite opening in any movie ever.  The credit sequence that follows is every bit as good.  It is  is wickedly clever.  Among the highlights are a female gymnast twirling around on a pistol like a high bar.  The theme song Nobody Does It Better by Carly Simon is wonderful.  It gives the film a classy and romantic feel.  The soundtrack this time is done by Marvin Hamlisch.  It's probably the top Bond score not done by John Barry.  It keeps the Barry feel, but Mr. Hamlisch adds his own style and while updating it for the times without making it sound of the times.  In other words, it's timeless just like Barry's scores.

As we return to the film, we find out that MI6 (mainly Q and Bond) have deduced that someone has invented a tracking system that can pinpoint the precise location of their subs.  Leads suggest that this was done in Egypt.  Meanwhile, Anya is informed that her boyfriend Sergei Barzov was murdered by a British spy.  A British spy that shot him with a rocket out of a ski pole...  We then are introduced to Karl Stromberg (Curt Jurgens).  Information about the tracking system created for him was leaked and he is not very happy about it.  He knows that it's his assistant that's responsible for the leaks so he drops her down into a tank with a shark.  The sicko watches as he listens to classical music and takes in the beautiful azure blue that surrounds his underwater lair named Atlantis.  He then blows up the helicopter that's leaving with the two scientists that came up with the tracking system.  Two men are called in.  One is a stocky bald man named Sandor and  the other is a 7 foot 2 inch giant named Jaws (Richard Kiel) that has steel teeth.  They are ordered to get the microfilm copy of the tracking system and to kill anyone that comes in contact with it.

Bond is sent to Egypt and comes up with a lead on an Aziz Fekkesh.  It is said that he is a contact of Max Kalba who just may happen to have the same microfilm that was just mentioned.  After a close call at Fekkesh's place and disosing of Sandor, James learns that Fekkesh will be at the Pyramids of Giza.  While viewing a show there we see that Agent XXX is also there looking for the microfilm and we find out that Jaws' teeth can bite through metal chains as well as flesh.  Shortly after this, Bond and Agent Amasova find out that Kalba is at the Mujamba Club and they both try to schmooze up to him for the microfilm.  While getting a phone call, Kalba doesn't return because he runs into Jaws.  Bond and Anya eventually hop into the back of his van, get into a fight with him for the microfilm, destroy a construction site, and barely escape while watching Jaws tearing the van to shreds.  They get back to Cairo and with a little help from modern Soviet gadgetry Anya gets away with the information that both were fighting for.

Soon Bond meets up with M who is actaully now working in conjuction with General Gogol.  Anya is also there.  After examining that the micofilm actually had the vital details removed from it, Bond and Anya figure out that the photo copy was taken at Stromberg laboratories in Sardinia.  Their superiors send them out to meet Stromberg together undercover.  The secret agents are quickly found out and as soon as they leave Atlantis, the malevolent Stromberg orders Jaws and his assistant Naomi (has anyone ever noticed what happens when you spell that name backwards?) to kill them both after the get ashore.  Bond gets chased down in his Lotus Esprit by a rocket shooting motorcycle, Jaws hanging out of a car with a machine gun, and Naomi in a helicopter yet more machine guns.  It's a good thing that the Lotus has a smoke screen, cement sprayer, and when things get to be to much can turn into a submarine.  That's right!  The car turns into a sub when driven into water.  While being chased underwater by Stromberg's men, James shows them and Naomi that the auto-sub has torpedoes, mines, and suface-to-air missiles.  After getting away, Bond and Anya look at Atlantis more closely.  The whole sequence with the Esprit shows that unbelieveable gadgets can work if used properly.  A later Bond film was bashed for having an invisible car.  It wasn't the invisible car that was bad.  It was the movie that was bad.  Anyway...

Soon after learning that it was in fact Bond that killed her lover, Anya and 007 put their differences aside for the time being and work together with the US Navy in their sub the USS Wayne in order to attack Stromberg.  Before you know it, Stromberg's massive sub, the Liparus, swallows the USS Wayne up and they see the missing British and Soviet subs.  Stromberg explains that he is going to blow up both Washington DC and Moscow with nuclear missiles and start World War III while he lives safely underwater and start the world anew while armageddon happens.  Will Bond and Anya stop the madman?  If they do, will they kill each other?  

I absolutely adore this movie.  It is infinitely better than the two previous films.  While it might be a bit on the wacky side, it is tailored to Roger Moore's strengths.  While many Bond purists may not care for Moore's interpretation of Bond, it's hard to find much wrong here.  The opening sequence was perfect, the soundtrack was great, the micofilm being used as a plot device reminded me of use of the Lector in From Russia With Love, Anya is the best Bond girl since Tracy DiVicenzo, Stromberg is an absolute lunatic, Jaws is one of the best henchman in the history of the series, and Roger Moore (love him or hate him) is allowed to be himself.  Roger Moore is much better at being Roger Moore than being Sean Connery.  Needless to say, this film was a massive hit and the series is still going strong today.

5 out of 5 - Great for a Bond movie.  This is by far my favorite of the Moore films and it is actually is one of the best in the entire franchise.  It may be a bit more a comic book than Ian Fleming's work, but it is as fun as most any of the film in the franchise.

Cool thing to know:  In the Spy Who Loved Me is the only time M is referred to by his first name.  It's Miles.

James Bond will return next Monday in Moonraker.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

Around the Network

ow gat please skip moonraker.. anyway nice review, best Moore movie and the Lotus submarine is classic!

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

NiKKoM said:
ow gat please skip moonraker.. anyway nice review, best Moore movie and the Lotus submarine is classic!

I can't skip any of the movies and I have to put one up every Monday morning because of my big mouth.

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

amp316 said:
NiKKoM said:

I can't skip any of the movies and I have to put one up every Monday morning because of my big mouth.

I bow to your dedication.  I am somewhat of a Bond freak myself.  I tend to favor 'Live and Let Die' of the Moore-Bond movies.  I am biased here though, my mom is from Baton Rouge (for those not in the know a good chunk of the movie is set in Lousiana) and I SOOOOO have the hots for 70's Jane Seymore. My god was she hot in that movie!  Also, Yaphet Kotto is a fantastic actor, and Kananga is one of my favorite Bond Villains.  I also have a special place in my heart for Baron Samedi as his portrayal is one of the better supporting roles in all of Bond movie history.  

I need to go back and read your take on 'On Her Majesty's Secret Service' now, that is the true devisive Bond film (OK, maybe Never Say Never Again, but why would anyone ever question Connery as Bond?)

Amp, did you reviewed Goldfinger yet? I saw it this weekend, and thought it was great, very clever plan!

Around the Network

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

VicViper said:
Amp, did you reviewed Goldfinger yet? I saw it this weekend, and thought it was great, very clever plan!

Oh man... Goldfinger.  That is one of my favorite movies of all times.  If you can, check out From Russia With Love as well.  Another classic.  Those two Bond movies are my personal favorites. 

VicViper said:

Yes, I've reviewed all of the Bond movies up until this point in the series.  I come out with one every Monday morning.

Here's the Goldfinger review: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=139654&page=1

spurgeonryan said:
amp316 said:
VicViper said:

Yes, I've reviewed all of the Bond movies up until this point in the series.  I come out with one every Monday morning.

Here's the Goldfinger review: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=139654&page=1

Now if there was a movie that should get a 5/5, Goldfinger is it!

...and it did.  How do you feel about The Spy Who Loved Me, Spurge?

I hardly remember The Spy Who Loved Me. It's been too long since I've since it. Reading your review I'm eager to see it again.

I do remember this bit a trivea:

The metal teeth Richard Kiel wore were so painful that I could only wear them for a couple minutes at a time.

Signature goes here!