By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Do you believe there´s some truth to the anti used games rumor?

Yes and I think it stinks. I love the used game market and to me its no different than used cars or any other viable used product market. It also kills the ability to take a game to your buddies house to play, etc.

I don't think this will have an overall affect as people who buy new and sale, still go buy other new games. All this will do is reduce their buying habits as they have to spend more money overall. I'll still wait for cheap sales as I almost never pay $50 to $60 for a game... either used or if it has digital options, it will be on sale sometime or simply many months later when it has naturally dropped in price.

Around the Network

If this comes true, Gamestop will simply refuse to sell the systems. Basically, Sony/Microsoft would be screwed.

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."
thekitchensink said:
If this comes true, Gamestop will simply refuse to sell the systems. Basically, Sony/Microsoft would be screwed.

Yeah no, that wouldn't happen. If they did that, they would go out of business as there are plenty of other retailers out there.

Plus, any anti used game strategy will have a lower priced way to use the used game similar to EAs $10 online voucher system.

making people keep there games! interesting concept i guess?

There is not much more to say on this subject that has not already been said, but the more I hear about this kind of stuff the more depressing it gets. It seems like in just two short generations gaming has gone from a fun hobby to a sad shadow of what it used to be as game publishers refuse to adapt while opting to sell an inferior product at a significantly higher price.

How can anyone be blamed for choosing used games over new when most games released nowadays are a buggy mess that require day one patches and DLC just to make them up to par with the full games we received a generation ago?

This month alone we had ... Mass Effect 3 (day one DLC, an online pass, and plenty of bug issues), Ninja Gaiden 3 (no bugs to my knowledge, but it has a totally unecessary online pass, and a completely new take on the series that, like many games released in the last few years, dumbs down the series in a sad effort to gain a few dollars from the casual crowd), and there was also Resident Evil ORC (lots of day one DLC garbage as is now a staple of Capcom's bussiness model, and another serious drop in quality as the game was outsourced to a developer that is barely fit to make SOCOM psp titles, let alone a Resident Evil game. Lets also not forget Silent Hill HD which proves that big publishers not only fail to produce quality new games, but they also can not even handle rereleasing old games.

If both of the rumors are true and Nintendo will really be the only system to still have physical games that are not bound by activation codes and ect, then they will certainly have my bussiness almost exclusively for the next generation. Third party support or not, I will gladly support a company that doesn't need to hide behind DLC, patches (aside from isolated screw-ups like Skyward Sword), and activation keys, and instead still prefers to sell video games and gain profit by producing quality games, and not by shackling customers with DRM and games that become useless when their activation code is used up. 

Around the Network
DarthVolod said:

How can anyone be blamed for choosing used games over new when most games released nowadays are a buggy mess that require day one patches and DLC just to make them up to par with the full games we received a generation ago?

Because buying used is stealing from the poor mouths of baby developers.

I mean, stealing from developers' babies' mouths.

Baby mouth developers.

Something like that.

I certainly believe that yes in some form they will begin to destroy used game sales.

And to people saying, "No company would be that stupid", your hilarious. The PC market has already completly eliminated used games, consoles are next.

i think it is possibly and probably more likely now that everything is going digital. I would only tolerate it if games prices were cut to around 30 or 40 dollars.

I got a ps3 last summer and have only paid full price for gran turismo, have not paid over 30 dollars for any other game new. its not worth 60 dollars for a 10 hour campaign

With many brick and mortar electronic retailers going out of business (here in the US...Circuit City, Compusa) and many more with one foot already in the ground (Best Buy, HHgregg, Radio Shack), many publishers will find themselves dealing with fewer and fewer outlets to sell, so they will be moving to a digital platform. There will still be just enough stores around to have physical media but I am sure they will be with caveats for them to sell.

Publishers and distributors will be able to control more and more of their supply chain, and this includes cutting out used video game retailers as they know they get no kick back from it. So yea, from a margin prospective, I can see Sony and MSFT putting anti used mechanisms into their next gen systems and institute a on-use/time policy like they have for the 3DS and other current gen systems.

RolStoppable said:
BenVTrigger said:
I certainly believe that yes in some form they will begin to destroy used game sales.

And to people saying, "No company would be that stupid", your hilarious. The PC market has already completly eliminated used games, consoles are next.

That would explain why the market shifted to the HD consoles while PC gaming is crumbling. Of course, a lot of people don't really see it, because the overall revenue of PC gaming has remained stable due to the gains of flash game portals and Facebook stuff in recent years.

Regardless its coming.  And I work for Gamestop you think I LIKE that its going that way? 

Trust me next-gen you will see the beginning of getting rid of used games, they won't be gone entirely next gen but they will be phasing out.