By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Why I am reminded to avoid political threads on the Internet now...

badgenome said:
Mr Khan said:

The point is that there is the idea that this particular incident was preventable, because it is likely that Zimmermann would not have used deadly force if he hadn't thought the law was on his side. Though he seems like the kind of person prone to abuse of power, so he may have done so anyway and just come up with some other statute that he thought was applicable, because it's fairly clear even under stand your ground that he started this altercation, so who knows...

It's possible that Zimmerman instigated it, but far from clear that he did. If what Zimmerman claims is true - and so far his injuries seem to be consistent with his story - then Martin was the one who flipped and attacked him. Despite all the uproar, nobody was there so nobody knows.

Aye, but if the attack occurred at the end of the confrontation after Zimmermann had been pursuing him, then wouldn't Treyvon actually be under the protection of Stand Your Ground? I've got this shady looking kinda hispanic guy chasing me, he may be threatening my life :P

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network

i hope things get better for you. i hate politic's. it's the number one thing that would get me PB.

Mr Khan said:

Aye, but if the attack occurred at the end of the confrontation after Zimmermann had been pursuing him, then wouldn't Treyvon actually be under the protection of Stand Your Ground? I've got this shady looking kinda hispanic guy chasing me, he may be threatening my life :P

I don't think so. According to Zimmerman, he lost sight of Martin for about a minute. Then Martin came up from behind him, and they spoke briefly before Martin asked if he had a problem. Zimmerman said no, and Martin said, "Now you do," and proceeded to jump him.

richardhutnik said:

I am going through a lot of personal stuff, including a need for surgery again, an a car that doesn't work (hundreds of dollars in repair work needed, and the money isn't here now).  And there is a lot more stuff, with a narrow hope of getting stuff published in a magazine, and hoping that acts as a break.  Life gets reduced to doing game designs and trying to find an edge anywhere.

Well, I had seen what happened after the shooting of the congresswoman and how it turned into a political football to score points.  And now, there is the shooting of Trayvon Martin, which has a lot of issues associated with it, from stand your ground, to a rash of burglaries in a neighborhood, to it now being a rallying protest point of the moment, and more.  

What is seen in this?  Like with the shooting of the congreswoman, it would be a good time for people to stop and assess where things are, and maybe their values.  Is it that?  No it isn't.  What it is, is a place to position oneself and score points for one's cause.  A death is turned into a political tool.  Considering the issues I am looking at, I really don't want to think on this now, and engage with people at random.  People don't seem interested in finding common ground, just justify what they know is right.  I need to keep reminding myself of this to back away.  Life's too hard to end up trying to go this route.

As a parting shot, I swear there are people who would think a Hunger Games reality show, with real deaths would be an awesome thing to have, particularly with those you disagree with being the contestants.  

Good luck to you, hope things work out for the best. I'm not too keen on politics or watching the news either. It's just too damn depressing half the time.

badgenome said:
Mr Khan said:

I don't think so. According to Zimmerman, he lost sight of Martin for about a minute. Then Martin came up from behind him, and they spoke briefly before Martin asked if he had a problem. Zimmerman said no, and Martin said, "Now you do," and proceeded to jump him.

Dangerous if true. I would suppose the phone records wouldn't indicate what his girlfriend actually told him to do, or what he had been planning?

And odd that these facts are emerging only now. You would think Zimmermann would have made it clear that he had been jumped at the scene, to better reinforce the idea that he was being substantively threatened right off the bat?

Around the Network
Mr Khan said:

Dangerous if true. I would suppose the phone records wouldn't indicate what his girlfriend actually told him to do, or what he had been planning?

And odd that these facts are emerging only now. You would think Zimmermann would have made it clear that he had been jumped at the scene, to better reinforce the idea that he was being substantively threatened right off the bat?

He did, I imagine. That's probably why he wasn't arrested, although the police did confiscate his gun. I'm not sure why his side of the story is just now coming out, but it sounds like Zimmerman's lawyer was making the media rounds today and the cops finally released some information that seems to - for now, at least - corroborate elements of his story.

badgenome said:
Mr Khan said:

He did, I imagine. That's probably why he wasn't arrested, although the police did confiscate his gun. I'm not sure why his side of the story is just now coming out, but it sounds like Zimmerman's lawyer was making the media rounds today and the cops finally released some information that seems to - for now, at least - corroborate elements of his story.

Which would show that the speed of the justice system needs to better-adapt to the speed of the mass-media if they want to protect the innocent. No way he's getting a fair trial at this point, because of all the protests and such that have already ocurred...

Mr Khan said:

Which would show that the speed of the justice system needs to better-adapt to the speed of the mass-media if they want to protect the innocent. No way he's getting a fair trial at this point, because of all the protests and such that have already ocurred...

Not to mention he's had to go to ground with the New Black Panthers putting a bounty on his head and people publicizing his address, and the police still said nothing for a very long time.

Still, the media seems basically thrilled to have a racial controversy to play around with, is trying very hard to spin Zimmerman as white (as if such a thing really matters), and generally doesn't seem to give a tinker's damn about the facts, so I'm not so sure how much it would have helped if law enforcement had done a better job of communicating. As usual, people seem to have formed a conclusion within seconds of hearing about the story, and everything from here on out is just a matter of looking for facts to confirm what they already believe to be the case when even the solitary eyewitness doesn't know whether Zimmerman is telling the truth or just started a fight he couldn't finish.

badgenome said:
mrstickball said:
But instead, you have all the "Civil rights" people jumping into this tempest in a teapot. Bad things happen all the time, yet why is it only now anyone cares?

40 something shootings on the south side of Chicago during St. Patrick's weekend alone.

One kid is shot by someone who may be sort of white, kind of. Almost.

But that was most likely black on black or black on white or white on white crime, so it's a non-issue, right?

I also like how some media outlets are resorting to calling Zimmerman a "white Hispanic" just so they can try and keep this race issue alive.  Lol, whatever that term means.  Does that make Obama a "white black?"  Also, I would like to see some pics of the 6'3" 17 year old Trayvon, instead of the 5'3" or so 13/14 year old Trayvon.

thismeintiel said:

Also, I would like to see some pics of the 6'3" 17 year old Trayvon, instead of the 5'3" or so 13/14 year old Trayvon.

That's a fine example of the media doing a shitacular job on this. Martin was a 6'3" football player but they've been relentlessly showing pictures of him when he was 12, and so everyone seems to think, "This big fat guy couldn't defend himself against this scrawny little kid? Bullshit."

There are some pictures floating around that are supposedly much more recent ones of Martin, but I haven't seen it confirmed anywhere that they're actually of him. They're almost comically thuggish looking, though, so I'm skeptical.