By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Why I am reminded to avoid political threads on the Internet now...

thismeintiel said:

You mean like many impugned Zimmerman when they thought he was white?  Trust me, this has already hit rock bottom.  Well, I guess absolute bottom will be if there are riots, even if the evidence supports Zimmerman's story and/or he gets a lesser charge (maybe involuntary manslaughter, instead of the 1st degree many of these people want.) 

As for the Facebook comment, why would I take it down if I had nothing to hide about my son?  I'm sure many of his friends would probably like to go on there and leave last messages to him.  And then keep it up as a tribute to him

The "if i had nothing to hide" argument is a fast slippery slope. Some families value privacy, some may not value privacy but may not want a relic of their child's life being caught in a shitstorm. The presumption of guilt is just as fallacious when you poo-poo the people who were mad at the PATRIOT act.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network
Kasz216 said:
richardhutnik said:
Kasz216 said:
For the Trayvon Martin case...

I'd say it sounds like a pretty shitty case for self defense, so the guy should be looking at charges however 90% of what i've read has seem to have been discounted at later dates.

Don't think there is really any room for "Self reflection".... yet.

Though people hate to do this... the smart thing to do would be to wait two months... wait for all the facts to be settled and THEN protest if nothing has been done.

People are taking this as an open and close racist white guy shoots black kid and racist cops let it go...

even though the guy who shot him is half Hispanic... and from pictures looks noticeably Hispanic.

Not saying that can't be an aspect, but it seems a lot more complicated then that, especially considering the guy's general background which apparently included tutoring black children.

If I was going to jump to any conclusion it would be that he was a crazy overzealous wanna be cop who probably grabbed the kid, got his face knocked in a bit then shot the kid. Which he should go to jail over, but really that's a whole different argument and national discourse if that's what happened.

In the world of the Internet, you have 15 minutes of fame break out.  People look for anything to jump on and it blows up too early.  Look into Linsanity as an example of this.  Jeremy Lin of the Knicks had a real good early run as a starter and made the cover of Sports Illustrated two weeks in a row.  He tailed off a bunch since then, but became the top selling jersey in the NBA for a brief stint and it went nuts.

The case actually took like a month to blow up, and then became flavor of the week.

I don't know.  Jermey Linn is actually playing pretty damn good still if you ask me.   The hype died down when the Knicks went on a loosing streak, but Lin's numbers didn't really suffer during that streak.

Really it was blame pointed at carmelo, for what seemed like Amare indecisiveness/inability to be agressive.

Last couple games were bad, but i mean.  He's injured.

Lin has tailed off for a number of reasons.  The reality is though, he shouldn't of gotten hyped to the level he did.  Knicks are now winning again, with the coach being fired, and Lin is in a role player roll.  Knicks won like double digits a large number of games, getting score over 20, without Lin being a factor.   But, it isn't Lin at the Jordanesque level that he was at during the start of Linsanity, where he was transcending the NBA and becoming the story.  I follow the Knicks actually.

The point anyhow is that, in the age of the Internet, things will blow up in a hurry and go nuts, for no logical reason.  Occupy did this, for example, and you have Kony 2012, which happened with certain celebrities being targeted to tweet.  Did Kony 2012 deserve what it got attentionwise?  No it didn't, but it happened.

The main reason not to engage in political threads is because no one's views ever change in those threads. So there's no true discourse on any subjet. Same goes for God / religion threads. They're pointless.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

richardhutnik said:
Kasz216 said:
richardhutnik said:
Kasz216 said:
For the Trayvon Martin case...

I'd say it sounds like a pretty shitty case for self defense, so the guy should be looking at charges however 90% of what i've read has seem to have been discounted at later dates.

Don't think there is really any room for "Self reflection".... yet.

Though people hate to do this... the smart thing to do would be to wait two months... wait for all the facts to be settled and THEN protest if nothing has been done.

People are taking this as an open and close racist white guy shoots black kid and racist cops let it go...

even though the guy who shot him is half Hispanic... and from pictures looks noticeably Hispanic.

Not saying that can't be an aspect, but it seems a lot more complicated then that, especially considering the guy's general background which apparently included tutoring black children.

If I was going to jump to any conclusion it would be that he was a crazy overzealous wanna be cop who probably grabbed the kid, got his face knocked in a bit then shot the kid. Which he should go to jail over, but really that's a whole different argument and national discourse if that's what happened.

In the world of the Internet, you have 15 minutes of fame break out.  People look for anything to jump on and it blows up too early.  Look into Linsanity as an example of this.  Jeremy Lin of the Knicks had a real good early run as a starter and made the cover of Sports Illustrated two weeks in a row.  He tailed off a bunch since then, but became the top selling jersey in the NBA for a brief stint and it went nuts.

The case actually took like a month to blow up, and then became flavor of the week.

I don't know.  Jermey Linn is actually playing pretty damn good still if you ask me.   The hype died down when the Knicks went on a loosing streak, but Lin's numbers didn't really suffer during that streak.

Really it was blame pointed at carmelo, for what seemed like Amare indecisiveness/inability to be agressive.

Last couple games were bad, but i mean.  He's injured.

Lin has tailed off for a number of reasons.  The reality is though, he shouldn't of gotten hyped to the level he did.  Knicks are now winning again, with the coach being fired, and Lin is in a role player roll.  Knicks won like double digits a large number of games, getting score over 20, without Lin being a factor.   But, it isn't Lin at the Jordanesque level that he was at during the start of Linsanity, where he was transcending the NBA and becoming the story.  I follow the Knicks actually.

The point anyhow is that, in the age of the Internet, things will blow up in a hurry and go nuts, for no logical reason.  Occupy did this, for example, and you have Kony 2012, which happened with certain celebrities being targeted to tweet.  Did Kony 2012 deserve what it got attentionwise?  No it didn't, but it happened.

And i've noticed that Kony 2012 is basically gone already as well. Linsanity could return if the Knicks make the playoffs or something, but this Treyvon Martin thing will stick around until the end of Zimmermann's trial. If he's innocent he gets a book deal and fades into obscurity, if he's guilty he rots in jail, but either way, forgotten.

richardhutnik said:

Did Kony 2012 deserve what it got attentionwise?  No it didn't

Why not? The way a Facebook campaign was able to instantly turn people who were unable to point out Uganda on a map into experts on the country (albeit experts who were still unable to find Uganda on a map) could have major implications for the future of education.

Around the Network
badgenome said:
richardhutnik said:

Why not? The way a Facebook campaign was able to instantly turn people who were unable to point out Uganda on a map into experts on the country (albeit experts who were still unable to find Uganda on a map) could have major implications for the future of education.

My problem with it is that Kony's largely harmless now. Certainly he needs to be brought to justice, but that isn't the sort of thing people should be donating for, unless the Kony 2012 donations were going towards direct aid to the victimized peoples in Uganda. Seems like it all ran rather behind the times...

Mr Khan said:

My problem with it is that Kony's largely harmless now. Certainly he needs to be brought to justice, but that isn't the sort of thing people should be donating for, unless the Kony 2012 donations were going towards direct aid to the victimized peoples in Uganda. Seems like it all ran rather behind the times...

My problem with it is that it exposed how many people don't know the difference between Joseph Kony and Carl Weathers. How is that even possible? Are there any movies besides Rocky and Predator? And even if there are, why would you watch them?

It may not be popular to say but the only reason any of us know who Trayvon Martin's name is presidential politics ...

Barack Obama has been a pretty poor president in general, and (based on results) an awful president for minority groups (especially black people). While I would agree with people who claim that it is not within his power to do anything about this, from a political perspective it doesn't matter. No matter how he tries, Barack Obama will have difficulty pandering to minority groups based on performance; and there will be an increased emphasis on racial incidents from the media to gin-up racial conflict to scare minority groups into continuing to support Obama.

Mr Khan said:
badgenome said:
richardhutnik said:

What it reminds me most of is Carlos Santana.  When he had one huge hit and suddenly everyone thought he was a new star. 

I'm pretty sure you just missed badgenome's sarcasm though.

Hell it's all a part of what may be my biggest pet peeve "Documenteering" made popular by Michael Moore, or probaby someone else before him I don't know.

Hell for another recent example look at Mike Daisy on "This American life."

Or that recent documentry on Sarah Palin.

Someone makes a documentary that's awful and often filled with lies to fit a certain viewpoint, it's passed around like it's true and presented like it's true, the author gets some backlash and falls behind "It's meant to envoke an emotion on the issue, not be 100% factual."

90% of docuemntaries made today would better fit under the label "Propaganda."

Yeah... envole a fake emotion based on your premanufactured garabge.  IE meant to be Propaganda.

Mr Khan said:
badgenome said:
richardhutnik said:

The United States created a 100 man task force to go hunt him down, and were addressing it.  Kony fits into the usual category of a warlord, but ended up being the issue of the month earlier this year.