By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony just might close their Zipper.

badgenome said:
Munkeh111 said:

God of War !!! (admittedly, they have just made the same game 3 times, but it is still a really good game)

Yeah, thatgamecompany are going multiplatform aren't they? I assume they have got enough money from their previous games to give them enough time to make another interesting game, so I think they will be okay

They are, yeah. And they're hiring. I suppose they'll have to beef up a bit to make up for the loss of Sony Santa Monica's support.

Yeah, I also fear without Sony's support their games might get a bit lost in all the digital content avaliable, as I am fairly sure most don't make much money

Around the Network

No Mag 2 ever? D:

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." -My good friend Mark Aurelius

Unit 13 sold well enough for a launch title, I remember day 2 on the leaderboards there were about 130k people registered. I think the problem was that Socom 4 underperformed so severely sales and critic wise. MAG at least became a million seller.

While it's always sad to see a developer potentially go under, it does make some sense financially.

If Zipper really has ~200 employees, that is just to big for the kind of sales and scores their games are currently getting.

If they do stay open, it would be smart for them to lay off a fair amount of employees ( :( ) and restructure their development model.

Mr Khan said:
One does wonder who is to blame, however. If Zipper failed only after Sony bought them outright, was it an issue of the kind of games Sony was making them make? Is it a casualty of poor publisher strategy or a death brought on by studio rot?

Sudio rot. Sony let them make anything they wanted to make. They just pumped out lackluster games. 

Around the Network

Good. SONY may be gettin serious about it's 1st party performance. Those who cannot sell Playstations. Those who cannot strengthen Software sells, most importantly those who cannot make games ppl want to play. Be gone.

Hopefully Sucker Punch is next.

Xxain said:
Good. SONY may be gettin serious about it's 1st party performance. Those who cannot sell Playstations. Those who cannot strengthen Software sells, most importantly those who cannot make games ppl want to play. Be gone.

why sucker punch ?

they should clcose zipper , evolution ,

Xxain said:

They just acquired Sucker Punch dumb***t.

Anyways, I'm not sure if Zipper is entirely to blame, as they've made design choices that cropped in other titles (Uncharted 2's infamous 1.05 update and Killzone 3 before all the patches).  SOCOM 4 is just another example.  However,  I suspect they'll keep all the talented people in Zipper(new job offers elsewhere) and oust the rest. 

Check us out at the Vindication Gamer Network on Youtube. 

not surprised. one crapy game after another and it was bound to happen.

they could become a B studio to Guerrilla games, or just make down loadable games. less funding likely more profit. 

According to their website, they're still hiring. They're over 100 people strong for no reason. I want to see them cut down to 40-50 and given some focus. I'm tired of this dev just blatantly ignoring what their fans want.

4 ≈ One