By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Origin refunding Mass Effect 3 purchases

Tagged games:

badgenome said:

d21, don't read these spoilers! Seriously!

I read something about that. Were you able to make peace between the geth and quarians? From what I gather, I did it just by the skin of my teeth (I guess I had 5 out of the 5-7 points you need to be able to do it). I really felt like I was pushing my luck and that Tali might turn on me; I had no idea that she would just off herself in front of me if I'd failed. And then, since the geth were now peaceful and sentient individuals, I had to choose the Synergy ending because I couldn't kill the geth after all that! I've been a dirty geth sympathizer since ME2. Which ending did you get, btw?!

Yeah, I made peace between them pretty hard. In subsequent run-throughs, though, I'm going to do things differently. In my complete asshole Renegade runthrough.... I don't know. I don't know if I can shoot Mordin. I might not have the heart. As to my ending? Destroy, because I didn't believe that little bastard starchild and that's the only one where I can yell "Yeah, FUCK THE REAPERS" after being caught in an explosion

Around the Network

EA must be happy since origin subscription will sky rocket by now.

Bet with gooch_destroyer, he wins if FFX and FFX-2 will be at $40 each for the vita. I win if it dont

Sign up if you want to see God Eater 2 get localized!! https://www.change.org/petitions/shift-inc-bring-god-eater-2-to-north-america-2#share

-first the ending doesn't make sense
-second the choice you made trough the trilogy are discarded with 3 very similar ending you get a red,blue or green colored ending
-third you get no closure for your companions and your lover if you did pursue a love story in the game
-fourth a new major unexplained antagonist is introduce in the last 5 minute of the game, imagine playing the halo serie fighting against the convenants and in the last minute of halo 3 some random guy wearing black appear and tell you 'mouhahahaha am the real bad guy' then you get the end credits, you probably would get pissed.
I don't agree with the refunds but I get why the fans are mad

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.

Khuutra said:

Yeah, I made peace between them pretty hard. In subsequent run-throughs, though, I'm going to do things differently. In my complete asshole Renegade runthrough.... I don't know. I don't know if I can shoot Mordin. I might not have the heart.

Let me know if you manage to do it. I can't even bring myself to watch it on the YouTubes.

So many spoiler tags! I gotta finish this game!!

Around the Network
chapset said:
-first the ending doesn't make sense
-second the choice you made trough the trilogy are discarded with 3 very similar ending you get a red,blue or green colored ending
-third you get no closure for your companions and your lover if you did pursue a love story in the game
-fourth a new major unexplained antagonist is introduce in the last 5 minute of the game, imagine playing the halo serie fighting against the convenants and in the last minute of halo 3 some random guy wearing black appear and tell you 'mouhahahaha am the real bad guy' then you get the end credits, you probably would get pissed.
I don't agree with the refunds but I get why the fans are mad

those points sound pretty bad. So how does this game keep getting such high review scores? Is it the Multiplayer? I tried the demo/beta but really did not enjoy it. The MP felt rather slow and boring to me personally

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

That's ridiculous and it's the consumers trying to benefit from the situation.

I don't like EA or many of it's unfair tactics, but this is too much pressure from the consumers.

If I buy a game and I didn't like it, it's my issue and unless the game is broken or barely playable, the publisher or the developer should not take any blame, especially if, as many people say, the overall package is pretty good and your only problem is the ending.

I had a ton of games that had a pretty average ending, or that were terrible from start to finish, but it was my problem as a consumer for buying the game in the first place, or actually, overhyping it or having my expectations too high.

It's the same example as some user I don't remember said a while ago. If you go to a restaurant, you always have to pay, even if you didn't like the food or the service. They are not going to refund you because you didn't like the food, or in this case, the dessert.

zero129 said:
morenoingrato said:

That's ridiculous and it's the consumers trying to benefit from the situation.

I don't like EA or many of it's unfair tactics, but this is too much pressure from the consumers.

If I buy a game and I didn't like it, it's my issue and unless the game is broken or barely playable, the publisher or the developer should not take any blame, especially if, as many people say, the overall package is pretty good and your only problem is the ending.

I had a ton of games that had a pretty average ending, or that were terrible from start to finish, but it was my problem as a consumer for buying the game in the first place, or actually, overhyping it or having my expectations too high.

It's the same example as some user I don't remember said a while ago. If you go to a restaurant, you always have to pay, even if you didn't like the food or the service. They are not going to refund you because you didn't like the food, or in this case, the dessert.

The only problem with that is we where lied to. We where made believe we would get an ending that suited our choices we made in the last 2 games and this one, Instead we where giving 3 choices that's all the same pretty much, that has so many plot holes, and just doesn't fit in with the rest of the game/series. let me show you some of the things we where lied to about.

Official Mass Effect Website
http://masseffect.com/about/story/

“Experience the beginning, middle, and end of an emotional story unlike any
other, where the decisions you make completely shape your experience
and outcome.”

Interview with Mac Walters (Lead Writer)
http://business.financialpost.com/2012/03/05/qa-mass-effect-3s-mac-walters-on-how-the-game-tries-to-reach-all-audiences/

“I’m always leery of saying there are 'optimal' endings, because I think
one of the things we do try to do is make different endings that are
optimal for different people “

Interview with Mike Gamble (Associate Producer)
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/334598/interviews/mass-effect-3-weve-brought-back-a-lot-of-what-was-missing-in-me2/

“And, to be honest, you [the fans] are crafting your Mass Effect story as
much as we are anyway.”

http://www.360magazine.co.uk/interview/mass-effect-3-has-many-different-endings/

“There are many different endings. We wouldn’t do it any other way. How
could you go through all three campaigns playing as your Shepard and
then be forced into a bespoke ending that everyone gets? But I can’t
say any more than that…”

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-02-02-bioware-mass-effect-3-ending-will-make-some-people-angry

“Every decision you've made will impact how things go. The player's also the
architect of what happens."

“You'll get answers to everything. That was one of the key things. Regardless
of how we did everything, we had to say, yes, we're going to provide
some answers to these people.”

“Because a lot of these plot threads are concluding and because it's being
brought to a finale, since you were a part of architecting how they
got to how they were, you will definitely sense how they close was
because of the decisions you made and because of the decisions you
didn't make”

Interview with Casey Hudson (Director)
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2011/04/28/casey-hudson-interview-mass-effect-3.aspx

“For people who are invested in these characters and the back-story of the
universe and everything, all of these things come to a resolution in
Mass Effect 3. And they are resolved in a way that's very different
based on what you would do in those situations.”

http://venturebeat.com/2012/03/02/casey-hudson-bioware-co-created-mass-effect-3-with-the-sometimes-cranky-fans-interview/

“Fans want to make sure that they see things resolved, they want to get
some closure, a great ending. I think they’re going to get that.”

“Mass Effect 3 is all about answering all the biggest questions in the
lore, learning about the mysteries and the Protheans and the Reapers,
being able to decide for yourself how all of these things come to an
end.”

Interviewer: “So are you guys the creators or the stewards of the franchise?”
Hudson: “Um… You know, at this point, I think we’re co-creators with
the fans. We use a lot of feedback.”

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2012/01/10/mass1525-effect-3-cas5ey-fdsafdhudson-interviewae.aspx?PostPageIndex=2

Interviewer: [Regarding the numerous possible endings of Mass Effect 2] “Is that
same type of complexity built into the ending of Mass Effect 3?”
Hudson: “Yeah, and I’d say much more so, because we have the ability to
build the endings out in a way that we don’t have to worry about
eventually tying them back together somewhere. This story arc is
coming to an end with this game. That means the endings can be a lot
more different. At this point we’re taking into account so many
decisions that you’ve made as a player and reflecting a lot of that
stuff. It’s not even in any way like the traditional game endings,
where you can say how many endings there are or whether you got
ending A, B, or C.....The endings have a lot more sophistication and
variety in them.”

“We have a rule in our franchise that there is no canon. You as a player
decide what your story is.”

Taking from http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/355/index/10056886/1 .

All of them quotes are from 2012, so they knew they where lying all along.

Meanly that one about the we don't want an A,B,C ending, when thats exactly what they gave us -_- .

I can understand how its mostly us fans of the ME games that feel ripped off, and how other gamers wouldn't. But if you are a real fan of the series trust me, the is many reasons to feel ripped off.

So maybe if they where honest and said from the start the would only be 3 choices, and all you're choices you made up to this point doesn't matter, people wouldn't feel so pissed..

Is it fair to compare the situation to the situation with the LOST tv show finale? I remember there was a lot of anger surrounding that. one of my friends was a huge fan who followed the show from day one and the ending left him feeling betrayed. After so much commitment the ending just was a collosal disappointment and he was mad as hell

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

Ajescent said:
Zim said:
Ajescent said:

I liked the "good" ending of ME3...I admit I've never followed the ME stories I've played about 3hrs of all 3 games combined  but from what I saw of the ending it looked good no idea what people are complaining about. Were they expecting sunshine and flowers? Give over!

... so you admit you haven't really played the games but then decide to tell fans to give over? What an intelligent point. 

http://www.gamefront.com/mass-effect-3-ending-hatred-5-reasons-the-fans-are-right/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6M0Cf864P7E

Simple fact is the ending is a total train wreck. It doesn't fit in with the series at all. Your post just demonstrates the same attitude of Bioware, that is a complete misunderstanding of why fans are annoyed. It's nothing to do with it being sad. Fans are fine with a sad ending. It's to do with all the reasons listed at those sites. The plot holes, out of tone with the series, lack of conclusion etc etc. 

Even though I think ME3 as a whole experience as a game is fantastic I can kind of understand people asking for a refund. If you look at some of the quotes at the start of that video it's pretty clear Bioware outright lied about the game. ''Wildly different conclusions'' ''....it is an ending.... Will not [leave fans] with more questions than answers'' ''How could .... you be forced into a bespoke ending that everyone gets?'' as well as I remember them stating how the ending wouldn't simply be an A, B, C choice then is completely an A, B, C choice well or Red, Green, Blue choice.  

The reason I said "Give over" is most complaints I've seen are "there is no "happy ending" based on the "happy ending" I saw, I think it ticked most of the boxes for what constitutes a happy ending. It seems most people were expecting an "And they all lived happily ever after" ending and I hate those especially after a long arse epic trilogy which from my understanding is what ME is.

If after such going through such an epic journey, you get a happy ending, IMO there needs to be a "but" and I think this ending covered it well, the 30mins video for me covered everything I needed to know and I liked it.

Maybe I'm the only one and maybe that's because I never played any of the games from start to finish but surely you must conceed people asking for their money back to me is an over reaction and an unwarrented one. Hence the "give over"

''This right here is my main complaint with WRPGs. Oh yeah, we'll give you a choice in everything that happens, even what colour spoon your char eats his cereal with, but ultimately the ending is predestined.''

Seriously firstly you haven't played the games so you can't really comment. Secondly you have no idea about the community. The forums are FULL of people saying the fact it is sad is fine, it's the fact it's nonsense and how we played makes no difference that is the problem. Everyone was expecting the ending wouldn't be entirely happy given what was happening, however we did expect it to be at the bare minimum two things 1. An ending and 2. fit in with the other 100hours of content. It is neither of those things. 

The fact that an entire theory has had to be made up about the ending shows how ridiculous it is. Especially when the theory would actually mean the game didn't even end and we are still waiting for the conclusion. Which given the fact that the last thing we see is basically a ''Hey want to see what happens? Buy DLC'' is perhaps not far from the truth -_-

You haven't really played the games and aren't part of the community, yet the community is saying how it feels and you are saying ''No this is how you feel''. No-one cares it isn't a 100% happy ending.

I had to pull a quote from another of your posts. So your main complaint with WRPGs is that they say they will give you choice then the ending is predestined........ Mass Effect fans are complaining that the entire series has been about how player choice mattered, it was stated time and time again that the choices we made would have BIG effects on the ending and we then got a predestined ending with almost no variation based on how you played. So despite the fact it is your biggest complaint about the genre you don't care when it happens? 

People asking for their money back is fine if they feel they were deceived by the company. If a movie advertised itself as having mind blowing action the you went in and it had no action at all you would be in your rights to ask for a refund. Bioware told fans time and time again how the ending would take into account choices, not be an A, B, C type ending etc.... they lied about it. 

Oh and M.U.G.E.N it's a bit like Lost. Except Bioware stated it would totally not be like Lost, everything would be answered etc. And at least in Lost the ending although weird was still vaguely in tone with what the show had been. The Mass Effect ending is just bad in every single way. It is my favourite game series up until the last 20 minutes of the last game. 

Turkish says and I'm allowed to quote that: Uncharted 3 and God Of War 3 look better than Unreal Engine 4 games will or the tech demo does. Also the Naughty Dog PS3 ENGINE PLAYS better than the UE4 ENGINE.

Scoobes said:
ishiki said:

It has 2.1 or 2.2 stars on amazon. I don't think I've ever seen the public be this hard.

For instance some of the other most hated on games this gen FF14 has a 2.4 stars or Dragon age 2 with 3.3 stars.

Now I personally think FF14 is actually that bad, and Dragon age 2, I've never been sure how I feel about it (it's dumb downed yes, but I like the characters, and the gameplays still really fun), the dungeon re-use was quite inexcusable since they are in fact different dungeons, that are the same dungeon.

ME3 people I think aren't being so rational, and people are being big babies about it. Even if they are dissapointed (I am a bit). It's a videogame, things are not going to be exactly how you want them. Your desicions do affect the game, but don't affect the ending. I thought a lot of the things were taking the easy way instead of making your decisions more meaningful, but that's kinda the way Mass effects been the whole series. In ME2, killing the council has really no effect on the game.

I pretty much agree with everything in this post except for FF14 which I haven't played and cannot express an informed opinion on.

Yes the ending to ME3 was disappointing in some ways, but it was just different. It wasn't generic, and from a lot of comments, that's why they're disappointed. If they were given a generic and typical ending to a space odyssey, they'd be happier. For gods sakes get over it. You're not the games' developers. The fact that Bioware managed to create a game where players become that emotionally invested is a blessing.

At the end of the day, everyones journey through the Mass Effect universe has been different, yet still within the confines of the developers vision. That should be praised. Not all these complaints about what amounts to 15 minutes out of 60+ hours of gameplay.

@ Bolded, this I think is where the anger comes from. I haven't beaten ME3 yet, and guess I'm only roughly half-way, so I don't know any of the endings. However I think the attachment to these characters expecially for PC and 360 owners is huge and spans a console generation. While I do think some of the response might be unreasonable, I understand the investment many players have with this franchise.

I personally have played all 3 on PC, and that after not really feeling ME1 on 360 and then after playing ME2 going back and working my way through the series I became addicted. Sometimes I think with such a profound epic like Shepards's no ending can really ever satisfy. That said having not finished I can only offer my perspective in the moment. Planning on putting in a few hours tonight.

XBL: WiiVault Wii: PM me  PSN: WiiVault

PC: AMD Athlon II Quadcore 635 (OC to 4.0ghz) , ATI Radeon 5770 1GB (x2)

MacBook Pro C2D 2.8ghz, 9600m GT 512 iMac: C2D 2.0, X2600XT 256