By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft: Xbox 720 with built-in Kinect is a good idea

Carl2291 said:
UltimateUnknown said:

I don't see why it has to be built-in. It could just be a separate unit that comes in the box, like the Wii's infra red sensor.

Wouldn't that essentially be the standard 360 Kinect bundle?

No.

PrimeSense (maker of "the tech") just fired 50 of their 190 employees. From an article (on a Israeli webpage) it is pretty clear that MS is currently devolping their own "Kinect" and PrimeSense is somewhat in doubt whether they will make it past 2013-14 if they can't get more customers but clinge to MS.

And for a powerful new console generation, the current hardware is just not good enough (so roughly 25mio Kinect users will be pissed once the new "thing to have" appears on the market - with hopefully appropriate software).

Around the Network
Carl2291 said:
UltimateUnknown said:

I don't see why it has to be built-in. It could just be a separate unit that comes in the box, like the Wii's infra red sensor.

Similar to it, and as I said I don't see the problem with that. No one complained when the Wii shipped with the infra red sensor, the kinect 2.0 might be a bit bigger but its nothing to cry to mommy about. Plus as long as MS are fine with development costs, it should be all good. I would love to see kinect in the box for next gen, so developers would take the device as part of the entire control scheme rather than just an optional peripheral.

Think about it, Xbox 720 with the classic controller for physical controls, built in HD touch screen for touch-screen controls and Kinect 2.0 for very accurate motion and voice controls. Developers could go absolutely ape/bat-**** crazy with the console and we could see some very VERY innovative games. Well at least a man can dream.

spurgeonryan said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
Seece has already stated how stupid that idea is. the thing is, i've never seen Kinect placed on top of anyones TV.

it's always siting in front of there tv on top of there 360 while playing (think about a group of former choir members singing) Michael Jackson experience.

doesn't have to be on top of the tv from what i've seen. the one thing they could do is expand the depth and range.

maybe having the ability to scan the room no matter where you put it, while tracking movement after scanning the gamers playing.

just a thought.

@bold

Oh in that case problem is solved! :P

I would assume that it will be smaller, and they will work with all the issues when they get to it, if they get to it. Are they really going to reuse the Kinect technology for the Durango though?

yes, cause the system may very well sell on that same premise. 

i think the idea in my first post would work.

Then they should ship one version without it as well, there are a lot people who simply want the x-box without Kinect (people like me).

UltimateUnknown said:
Carl2291 said:
UltimateUnknown said:

Similar to it, and as I said I don't see the problem with that. No one complained when the Wii shipped with the infra red sensor, the kinect 2.0 might be a bit bigger but its nothing to cry to mommy about. Plus as long as MS are fine with development costs, it should be all good. I would love to see kinect in the box for next gen, so developers would take the device as part of the entire control scheme rather than just an optional peripheral.

Think about it, Xbox 720 with the classic controller for physical controls, built in HD touch screen for touch-screen controls and Kinect 2.0 for very accurate motion and voice controls. Developers could go absolutely ape/bat-**** crazy with the console and we could see some very VERY innovative games. Well at least a man can dream.

Although that seems good on paper, in a world where 3rd party exclusives have became a rarity developers are probably not going to go crazy at all. The WiiU will have a year head start guaranteed, and the extra price tag on all that tech will slow down the adoption of the 720. So even though every 720 will have kinect this time, it will still maybe only be a third of your total possible audience.

But maybe MS doesn't care about that, they have been opening a lot of new studios after all. Maybe they want to go the Nintendo route and go heavy first party on the 720 and think it will be the next Wii. Will people still be as crazy about Kinect for a higher price in 2013 though? Move isn't doing all that well as Wii 2.0

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:
UltimateUnknown said:
Carl2291 said:
UltimateUnknown said:

Although that seems good on paper, in a world where 3rd party exclusives have became a rarity developers are probably not going to go crazy at all. The WiiU will have a year head start guaranteed, and the extra price tag on all that tech will slow down the adoption of the 720. So even though every 720 will have kinect this time, it will still maybe only be a third of your total possible audience.

But maybe MS doesn't care about that, they have been opening a lot of new studios after all. Maybe they want to go the Nintendo route and go heavy first party on the 720 and think it will be the next Wii. Will people still be as crazy about Kinect for a higher price in 2013 though? Move isn't doing all that well as Wii 2.0

Well I can only imagine those first party studios will be there to demostrate to 3rd parties what could be done with the new and improved tech and control schemes. And really developers like to see new control schemes, it gives them more options and they have better incentive to make something innovative that could go big and differentiate them from the crowd. But what developers truly want nowadays is to be able to port their games between platforms, and I can see that being a possibility with WiiU's tablet and 720's HD touchscreen. Plus I imagine 720 will have motion controls closer to 1:1 built in, so developers will know that whatever they make WILL be used by everyone who buys the game, so they don't need to make alternate control schemes.

With any new console, you will see a slow adoption and hence 3rd parties will make games closer to current gen towards the beginning. But as some time passes, we will start to see first parties roll out some cool games with the new tech and then the onslaught of awesome quality 3rd party titles harnessing the raw power of the new consoles.

I think it would work really well for everyone if they decided to release all consoles with a Kinect 2.0 someway or another. That way developers don't have to worry about small attach-rate and everyone will have the technology so you don't have to worry about splitting the userbase.

Even if your a "hardcore" gamer and don't care for 90% of what Kinect offers there will be some games out there that you may want to play, so atleast you'll have the option to play them.

They obliviously are saying every nextbox would come bundled with a Kinect sensor..

I can't think of such thing being built-in the Xbox, how? put the lens next to the power button? What if I wanna put my Xbox on the bottom shelf of my entertainment center?

Such thing would not be so practical....

It would be, move your Xbox towards the center and upward . no,no, to much, now to the left ..oh, ok now focus.

My Trigger Happy Sixaxis controller

Bad idea. I don't want to pay for something I won't use.

I think it will be included.

Even if you just use the speech abilities of Kinect, it's a very nice gadget it use. I don't quite understand all the hate towards it, because nobody is going to force you to exercise.

When looking for a movie the voice search is so much nicer than flipping through a search on a remote with a Ruku or Blu-ray. Kinect expands so much of the person/console interface.

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!