By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - The Hunger Games Early Reviews Are In: So What Are the Critics Saying So Far?

Zim said:
Boutros said:
PullusPardus said:
I keep hearing about these books but I am too much of a pussy to try to read them and then find out they're Twilight 2.0.
and thus wasted a good time on reading crap and buying a book.

People compare it to Twilight because it's a female lead. There's a bit of a love story but nothing out of the ordinary and it's not at all a big part of the book (at least the first one). More than Harry Potter but considerably less than Twilight.

...Surely it's more Battle Royale than Harry Potter. You know what with seeming to be a copy with the bare minimum amount of changes made. Like erm changing foreign people to Americans. 

I meant it's more like Harry Potter when it comes to the amount of a love story in the book.

But yeah the story is pretty much similar to Battle Royale (I haven't read the book but I've seen the movie). The perspective in The Hunger Games is completely different though.

I like to compare Battle Royale to the ones who invented motion controls and The Hunger Games to the Wii.

The Hunger Games might not have created the premise but surely it's the one who exploited it the best.

Around the Network

the plot looks very predictable...

Most R rated books get turned into PG-13 movies. I think "The Hangover Part II" is the only R rated movie in the world wide 100 highest grossing movies of all time. If you want your movie to gross over $500 million world wide PG-13 or lower is still the safest bet.

Chris Hu said:
Most R rated books get turned into PG-13 movies. I think "The Hangover Part II" is the only R rated movie in the world wide 100 highest grossing movies of all time. If you want your movie to gross over $500 million world wide PG-13 or lower is still the safest bet.

Is The Hunger Games really rated R as a book?

Boutros said:
Chris Hu said:

Is The Hunger Games really rated R as a book?

I haven't read the book but the opening post states "a film accurately depicting the events of the book would certainly carry an R.".  Also their are only two R rated books that I have read and completed that have been turned into PG-13 movies "All Quiet on the Western Front" in 1930 and 1979 and "Jurrasic Park" in 1993 but I don't read much and with a little more research I could site many more examples.

Around the Network

I loved the books and I can't wait to see the movie. I already have my opening night tickets.

Man...so excited....I haven't been sleeping very well the last couple of days XD

I just keep on thinking at particular scenes from the book that I'm excited to see in the movie. I haven't seen the trailer (it's been so haaard!!). But I know who the actors for Katniss, Peeta and Gale are. The rest will be a surprise!

spurgeonryan said:
kain_kusanagi said:
I loved the books and I can't wait to see the movie. I already have my opening night tickets.

Where did you get them from? Fandango?

My local theater presold the midnight show. It's pretty nice mom and pop cinema not affiliated with any chain of theaters. I bought my Hunger Games opening midnight show tickets the day they went on sale so now I just have to make sure to get to the theater early enough to get prime seats.

Chris Hu said:

Actually, there are two other R rated movies in the top 100 highest grossing movies of all time, Passion of Christ and Terminator 2: Judgment Day. But you're right, most R rated books do get turned into PG-13 movies, mostly to appeal to a much larger audience. 

Having said that, can't wait to see The Hunger Games. Haven't read the books myself (going to start next week), but I've only been hearing great things from it from my friends and collegues.

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

The Running Man?