By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Tablets killing consoles? How can consoles be saved?

I'm looking forward to the day when Apple start their decline. Then we may finally stop seeing these kind of bullshit articles.

Around the Network

Tablets, consoles, phones, and PCs all have a place.

Tablets are for games that only need gestures, but when it comes to a FPS/TPS, and action-RPGs, tablets don't cut it... Even most driving games stink on tablets. With Windows 8 you will see tablets replace most home desktop PCs as you are already witnessing with iPad. And building controllers into tablets just aren't that comfortable. But if I was travelling, tablets would be perfect at airports, hotels, etc.

Consoles are great for the living/family room TV and to have more physical experiences like WiiMote/Nunchuk, Kinect, and Move. You wouldn't do any of those on a tablet.

Phones also have a place in gaming. For when you are out and about and don't want to carry a tablet sized device. But want to play tablet friendly games. Or a situation where you forgot your tablet.

And the PC will become more niche, for high end applications, precise movement applications, and very high end games.

What we are witnessing isn't the elimination of any specific devices, we are instead witnessing the growth of new technology devices, and the evolution of many currently awkward and un-productive games onto "fit for purpose application devices". Angry Birds would seem somewhat un-natural with a controller, but on a phone and tablet it rocks. But, it doesn't provide a deep game experience such as Mass Effect, Legend of Zelda, Unchartered, etc.

The question that comes up: As games evolve/move to the device it is most suited to, will this mean the death of certain game genres because potential buyers decide that device is not worth purchasing for one or two specific games? And as games find their best natural device interfaces, will this lead to the death of certain genres? And the growth of other Genres?

We are already witnessing the demise of the traditional JRPG. A genre that once dominated RPG gaming is being run over with action-RPGs because the devices now have the processing power to do RPGs in realtime.

Also, I doubt Angry Birds would have sold bizzilions if it started as a console game, nor would a game like Gears of War, Unchartered, Halo, or Killzone sold much if they started on tablets or phones.

Just in case nobody ever noticed, they are all smiling because they too are reading these same articles.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Tablets are for "techies" and Apple fanatics. Their place in the market is small, and shrinking. Laptops/notebook computers can and will take market share back as their capabilities expand(smaller, lighter, touchscreens, etc.), and they'll be squeezed from the other end from the increasing functionality of smart phones.

Plus there's the simple fact that PCs didn't kill off consoles as doomsayers predicted years ago. There's no reason for anyone to believe that more portable (and LESS game-friendly) PCs will put a dent in the market. Bad logic.

This again? We've been over this in countless threads these last few weeks, especially following the unveiling of the iPad 3. Consoles and PC's aren't going anywhere, and I'm damn glad they're not.

Around the Network

I should start herding crows so I can feed them to Peter Vesterbacka and his friends who keep predicting the end of console gaming.

Signature goes here!

handhelds and tablets such as the ipad/ipod will not kill console. it's stupid to think so.
even when we look at simple things like graphics.

the new ipad can compete with 360 graphics.
ok...
the 360 is like 10 years old now or something so why would people be surprised? i find it funny that so called experts make these predictions and anyone who would be classified as a gamer knows that consoles are here to stay.

to fit a high end PC graphics card in a handheld would be madness, so it won't happen, then there are issues in cooling, the ipad is like carrying a piece of paper.
home consoles do not have these issues, if you look at the 360's heatsinks they are about the size of an ipod touch.
lets not even get started on controls?

gamers will go to consoles
graphic whores and people who like player made content go PC
children, and people who are always on the move for work or school go hand held
average person who already wants a smart phone will probably go ipod

Mr Khan said:
Aj_habfan said:
Whatever the bar was set at for these threads, you just lowered it.

(here reiterates the desire for VGChartz to have a "like" button.)

Yeah, whatsap with 'at!? I want one!

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

IIIIITHE1IIIII said:
I'm looking forward to the day when Apple start their decline. Then we may finally stop seeing these kind of bullshit articles.

"Like"

I recently read a good article on IGN that discussed handhelds vs iPhones/Ipads. The article auther drew the comparison between digital cameras and handhelds: The sale for digital cameras have declined alot since the phones got decent cameras built in them - but at the same time the sales for more expansive system cameras have risen. In this example the system cameras are the handheld and the phoes are... well, the phones. And I think this applice to home consoles as well; people will play "quick" games on the iPads, but gotta turn to the console for a more deeper experience!