By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Tablets killing consoles? How can consoles be saved?

I think I'm going to lock this thread for false accusations.

I have owned a few tablets, currently rocking Xoom ICS, G1, & K-Fire, and I can safely say the ($0.99 to $6.99) games on the tablets are not going to stop anyone from buying a console. Thats like saying remote control cars will destroy the car industry.

Controls on tablets suck, take racing games, majority are just the cars driving and you tilting the tablet and applying the break. Even MMO's like O&C the WoW clone gets old quick. MW3 clones suck unless you have a blue-tooth controller connected.

Not to mention, try holding a 10in tablet in your hands while playing games for long periods of time, if your laying down, your dropping that shit on your face.

Now don't get me wrong, I LOVE games on my tablet, but it's not taking away from my PC/Console gaming, it just adds to it when I'm out and about, sitting on the shitter, or getting ready for bed.

PS4 Preordered - 06/11/2013 @09:30am

XBox One Preordered - 06/19/2013 @07:57pm

"I don't trust #XboxOne & #Kinect 2.0, it's always connected" as you tweet from your smartphone - irony 0_o

Around the Network

So the Wii U controller will be portable and enable people to read material, edit documents and do computing on the go?

As far as the iPad and gaming goes, wake me up with it at least resembles a Wii U controller.  End result is that consoles remain and do gaming their way, while tablets end up doing gaming their way.  Well a WiiU can get a bunch of tablet games, if that means anything.

Roma said:
hmm where did you get this "tablets killing consoles" from?

if a console sells less at the end of its life then its because its at the end of its life so i don't see how the consoles are dying because of tablets

http://venturebeat.com/2011/03/16/angry-birds-tablets-console-games/ 

"I think the center of gravity [in gaming] has really shifted so it’s now clearly mobile. That’s where most of the innovation, most of the growth is. Consoles are really a dying breed, I think. And a good example — again, you can’t do one of these without mentioning Apple and the iPad. You see the lines outside the store here … They launched that a year ago, or less than a year ago, now you have the iPad 2, then 3, then 4, and so on. … The thing is, it’s very competitive. And then you have all of the other tablets, all of that.

I think that tablets are killing the consoles. That’s where games will be played. … We will see probably four generations of tablets before there is a new console, if ever there is a new console."

Level1Death said:
You should be banned for this awful attempt.

Banned for what? For making a thread? What's wrong with you dude....

Don't tell me you haven't seen these articles around the web about how tablets and mobile gaming are killing consoles... don't shoot the messenger.

BTW, I'm not one of those who thinks tablets are killing consoles. I think that people who think so probably have never played a AAA console game.

Rather take my ipad to school or work to type notes as opposed to a Wii U controller. If you mean gaming wise the only sales consoles are losing to tablets are casual gamers, and I don't mean Harvest Moon or Rhythm Heaven casual (those are the good types of casual), I mean Farmville and Angry Bird casual, and to that I say good riddance.

Around the Network

Im gonna disagree with haters. The thread is fine, although it could make do with a little more context.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

VGKing said:
Roma said:

if a console sells less at the end of its life then its because its at the end of its life so i don't see how the consoles are dying because of tablets

"I think the center of gravity [in gaming] has really shifted so it’s now clearly mobile. That’s where most of the innovation, most of the growth is. Consoles are really a dying breed, I think. And a good example — again, you can’t do one of these without mentioning Apple and the iPad. You see the lines outside the store here … They launched that a year ago, or less than a year ago, now you have the iPad 2, then 3, then 4, and so on. … The thing is, it’s very competitive. And then you have all of the other tablets, all of that.

I think that tablets are killing the consoles. That’s where games will be played. … We will see probably four generations of tablets before there is a new console, if ever there is a new console."

Lol you should have added that in the OP from the beginning

Gamers will most likely not buy a new tablet every year just to play games. Tablets have games as an extra feature so people don’t buy them for the games.

Why do analysts think that just because one market is growing it is automatically killing another?  They should look up the word “coexist” before dooming one of the markets

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

Angry birds creator is delusional

VGKing said:
Roma said:

And the types of games people want to play, like Modern Warfare, end up being doable on tablets how?  Tablets stink at games using normal controls.  Do you think the WiiU wouldn't have its side controls if people didn't want these games?  People calling for the death of consoles seem to think all gaming will shift to tablets, which is seriously pushing it.

that's not true at all. consoles will always be around. There not the same kind of thing.