By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The iPad could be the future of games consoles, say Epic and EA

happydolphin said:
kitler53 said:

"The market experienced stronger-than-expected growth across many regions and at many price points, leading to a full-year 2011 total of 68.7 million units. Based upon the markets' strong 2011 finish, and the clear demand expected in 2012, IDC has increased its 2012 forecast to 106.1 million units, up from its previous forecast of 87.7 million units.source

"Apple will sell 55 million iPads this year, with sales driven by a "significant" upgrade in the shape of the iPad 3, an analyst has predicted."  source

..anyone who has their head in the sand enough to think console gaming isn't going to be significantly impacted in apple/smartphones/tablets should ask themselves questions like what happend to the dedicated cd/mp3 player??  what's behind the garmin stock crash??  how come camera sales are down so much??  gaming is next i tell you.  yes, there are those (like you can me) that would by dedicated games devises but i'm quite sure that the size of the market isn't big enough to be able to withstand (finacially) loosing 25-50% of it's market.  the dedicated gaming machine concept is already crashing all around us. 

I think you're right, and I believe the big differentiator will be dedicated, exclusive content. I believe these emergent platforms will be so submerged with shovelware, consumers will be lost, unless Apple or Google come up with some branding strategy. Right now, the one thing you get from a dedicated consoles is working games out of the box. No need to buy a bluetooth controller to play games properly. All you need is games and you're good to go.

Anyway, I think the player in the best situation against this is Nintendo, but Sony is on the right path with Uncharted on the Vita and how it's making its brands more recognizable. Gran Turismo is sadly being met by Forza.

disagree - apple has that and even one ups it 'cause they already have your credit card info.  buying off the app store is too easy actually.  exclusive content will work for a while but when EA, Ubisoft, ect defect not even nintendo's first party will save them imo.  things will be good enough on smartphones/tablets to make a dedicated device unjustifyable just like how i decided not to replace my cannon as my iphone 4S's camera is more than good enough to me.

Around the Network
kitler53 said:
happydolphin said:
kitler53 said:

"The market experienced stronger-than-expected growth across many regions and at many price points, leading to a full-year 2011 total of 68.7 million units. Based upon the markets' strong 2011 finish, and the clear demand expected in 2012, IDC has increased its 2012 forecast to 106.1 million units, up from its previous forecast of 87.7 million units.source

"Apple will sell 55 million iPads this year, with sales driven by a "significant" upgrade in the shape of the iPad 3, an analyst has predicted."  source

..anyone who has their head in the sand enough to think console gaming isn't going to be significantly impacted in apple/smartphones/tablets should ask themselves questions like what happend to the dedicated cd/mp3 player??  what's behind the garmin stock crash??  how come camera sales are down so much??  gaming is next i tell you.  yes, there are those (like you can me) that would by dedicated games devises but i'm quite sure that the size of the market isn't big enough to be able to withstand (finacially) loosing 25-50% of it's market.  the dedicated gaming machine concept is already crashing all around us. 

I think you're right, and I believe the big differentiator will be dedicated, exclusive content. I believe these emergent platforms will be so submerged with shovelware, consumers will be lost, unless Apple or Google come up with some branding strategy. Right now, the one thing you get from a dedicated consoles is working games out of the box. No need to buy a bluetooth controller to play games properly. All you need is games and you're good to go.

Anyway, I think the player in the best situation against this is Nintendo, but Sony is on the right path with Uncharted on the Vita and how it's making its brands more recognizable. Gran Turismo is sadly being met by Forza.

disagree - apple has that and even one ups it 'cause they already have your credit card info.  buying off the app store is too easy actually.  exclusive content will work for a while but when EA, Ubisoft, ect defect not even nintendo's first party will save them imo.  things will be good enough on smartphones/tablets to make a dedicated device unjustifyable just like how i decided not to replace my cannon as my iphone 4S's camera is more than good enough to me.

Hey, Nintendo can survive off 1st party, and that's a fact, sorry N64, GC and GB/GBA tell the story. But let's put that aside.

For bold, I was mostly referring to future AAA games, which will likely require a controller of sorts (one would imagine). Since OP is really referring to the future of the iPad in terms of its graphical capabilities and the compatibility of that with AAA 3rd party offerings. That would require a controller. What A dedicated console offers is a package, one the consumer can trust. I believe that same level of trust is not present with the Android/iOS platforms. No controller, and submerged with so many offerings, they could get lost (unless some branding measure is taken). That's one downside I see to all this.

kitler53 said:
happydolphin said:

You're comparing the convenience of carrying around one device that accomplishes many things for the general consumer with a home game console that can easily reside in your entertainment center; they're two different things.  And remember, game consoles aren't limited to only games anymore, either... even the Wii has Netflix.

thranx said:
i only agree because i think tablets will take the place of pc's over the next decade or so. I think tablets will be powerful enough to not really need a desktop anymore. Just a bigger screen to plug your tablet into to. I dont know very many people with full home desktops anymore any ways. Usually no pc and use their phone, or a tablet.

You don't know any true PC gamer and if they were then they aren't now.

superchunk said:
This idea is sort of true while at the same time false.

Dedicated gaming consoles are merging with media/web devices in the long run. This is why MS entered the home console market and this is why the rumor of the neXtBox not having an optical media drive may have some weight.

Some of you already know my argument on PSV and smartphones, well its the same idea here.

In portables, the market is moving towards the smartphone and tablet simply being the one device type to rule it all. In a year's time their hardware capabilities will enable them to be equal or greater than anything in the dedicated gaming market, except built in controls. However, any of these devices can easily be paired with bluetooth controllers. This is the exact reason MS never made a dedicated portable console, MS fully intends Windows8 phones and tablets to be that device.

In home consoles, MS is forcing the market to be a fully integrated Web centric, media/gaming device. Apple and Google are doing the same thing with their respective TV based products. From iTV to GoogleTV to the rumored Apple actual television sets, by next year all will have high end gaming products from 3rd parties as well as standardized bluetooth enabled controls.

The only difference in all of these scenarios is first party content. MS, Sony, and Nintendo will still have their respective edges in this category, however 3rd party content will be essentially equal across all platforms, including Apple and Google's. (Apple already has strong and steadily growing 3rd party support and Google had a presentation last week stating they will have a unified large gaming division in 2013)

As for the big players; Apple, MS, and Google all stand to win big with this as this type of environment IS their bread and butter. Nintendo will largely be unaffected solely due to their amazingly recognized and desired first party products. They will move to continue to expand their media capabilities along with gaming, but they will remain the only fully gaming centric provider and will do well.

Sony on the other hand has the hardest route. They are not a PC/OS maker, they are a general electronics producer. They will continue their Android linkage and continue to keep the Playstation environment separate from general Android offerings, but PSN won't survive as Sony will be forced to continue to offer its massive nonGaming IP library to the general Apple/MS/Android stores. They can't leverage it in their market only and on top of that, unlike Nintendo, their gaming IPs, while many are very good, are simply not in the same league as Mario, Zelda, Kart, etc. They cannot hold up their hardware solely on their software when everything else is available everywhere else. Sony's best bet, to me, is that they make the PS4 as a GoogleTV device (to gain all it has and will continue to offer) with an obvious Playstation unique modification for gaming.

So back to the OP. It is right in that general media devices like the iPad will be the future of this market, but it is wrong in that it will be the "iPad" itself. Personally, I will own the Nintendo devices and likely a GoogleTV device. The latter will heavily depend on what actually emerges with Windows8. As I will continue to own Windows PCs and if the integrations is simply too superior, I may go that route and potentially even forgo Android as a platform I use. But that would require Windows8 being integrated with Google's services in some for as well. (i.e. Chrome, gmail, G+, etc)

This is almost exactly what I feel is going to happen. I think you are right about Sony, and that is why they making stong efforts to make SEN a bigger platform than Playstation. In a world were being King in hardware means next to nothing, Sony's biggest asset is content. The Playstation Certification program is the most important Playstation related inituative Sony has going right now. It gives them a single closed arcitecture to build software to, while alloing anyone to produce the hardware.

One to good to be true scenario I am thinking about is MS and Sony software on one device. Sources have claimed Sony Windows Mobile Phones are on the way. Could a Sony, Playstation Certified Windows Phone be in the works? Gears and Uncharted on the same platform? To good to be ture, but you never know.

Loose ends from other users

Limited controls on Tablets
-PS3/360/Wii have no controls at all (sorry, had to). With Logitech, Madcatz, Nykon, and others input devices are not an issue for these blue tooth devices.

Prices
-Once they reach the point of competeing with these closed platforms, kids won't need the latest and greatest. Every year the price will drop on the previous model, and manufactures will focus on profits from the new hot devices.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Around the Network

Well they use 'could' and not 'will' so can't disagree but what is happening for sure is that people are spending more money on games on IPAD/Iphone etc than before. This year alone I spended more on games on my iphone than I did last year (chrono trigger/Secret of mana as an example)

sethnintendo said:
thranx said:
i only agree because i think tablets will take the place of pc's over the next decade or so. I think tablets will be powerful enough to not really need a desktop anymore. Just a bigger screen to plug your tablet into to. I dont know very many people with full home desktops anymore any ways. Usually no pc and use their phone, or a tablet.

You don't know any true PC gamer and if they were then they aren't now.

that is true i do not. But i feel i am a pc gamer as most of my games are there as well as my play time. Tablets do not mean no keyboard  and mouse or controller. I just thik that tablets will really replace desktops as i think they will be able to fit enough power in them to be able to run good games.

The IPad possibly spells the end of high budget video game developments. Apps and games can be made very accessible on IPad and Tablet devices. Low cost developments are produced quickly and efficiently and are profitable. High cost developments must sell a higher number of units to break even on development costs and other costs.

Oh man, the opinions. But seriously when will a 9.7 inch screen with a wireless controller be better than any tv you own and a chair? Sure they can make it stream/plug in to your tv, but there is the issue with technology and size limitation. Micro computation will reach an apex, like we have with batteries. It still has a way to go and there are amazing ways to reduce energy consumption that will even break the limitations of batteries. Larger devices will always have an advantage, but I understand that there will be a time when people are satisfied with graphics...maybe we don't know yet. We haven't reached that point, sure there is a market for it, look at the Wii. Riding high on last gen graphics, even though its suffering a premature death (in context to other consoles). It will be the same with Wii U (maybe even xbox 3, gasp! haha, I have no clue). Great games are being made with current technology why advance? It's not like we are jumping from 2d to 3d graphics like we did after SNES.

Regardless though, there is a still a horizon for console hardware. And maybe instead of Tablets threatening consoles, maybe consoles will threaten tablets by becoming out of home portable. What if console developers created portable gaming devices that were internet browsers with various applications......oh wait...I think they are doing just that. Tablets might be the ones who have to bring something new to the table. No?

Before the PS3 everyone was nice to me :(

Before anyone says it.  What about that Sega gensis sonic game that had 3d graphics (among others)?  Well all I have to say is, What about that Sega genisis sonic game that had 3d graphics?

Before the PS3 everyone was nice to me :(