By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The iPad could be the future of games consoles, say Epic and EA

blkfish92 said:
NEveR!!

I don't get the odd capitilization.

Around the Network
NintendoPie said:
blkfish92 said:
NEveR!!

I don't get the odd capitilization.

Just to add to the crazyness =p

pezus said:
thranx said:
pezus said:
thranx said:
sethnintendo said:
thranx said:
i only agree because i think tablets will take the place of pc's over the next decade or so. I think tablets will be powerful enough to not really need a desktop anymore. Just a bigger screen to plug your tablet into to. I dont know very many people with full home desktops anymore any ways. Usually no pc and use their phone, or a tablet.

You don't know any true PC gamer and if they were then they aren't now.

that is true i do not. But i feel i am a pc gamer as most of my games are there as well as my play time. Tablets do not mean no keyboard  and mouse or controller. I just thik that tablets will really replace desktops as i think they will be able to fit enough power in them to be able to run good games.

Consoles have enough power to be able to run good games but they don't replace desktops

they are trying too (ms and sony at least) consoles right now though do not perform the internet and office funtions of a pc, tablets do. Very different. its more like an evolution, pc-laptop-tablet. Laptops how ever were limited as they did not have good cost to power ratio compared to pcs. for tablets/smartphones it may not matter as people will buy them with phone contracts making the price appear better.

More like a devolution if you ask me...desktops are capable of far more than laptops or tablets. It's sort of like consoles vs. handhelds. Handhelds will not suddenly replace consoles just because they're portable.

once windows 8 is in full swing there will be little distincition between a a tablet a pc and maybe even a  mobile phone. even now, what can pcs do that tablets can't.  its nothing like consoles vs handhelds, i am not saying they will overtake because they are portable. I am saying they will because people will buy them with phone contracts making them just as cheap as a pc and if you have a device that can do all the functions of a pc, why buy a pc? I think over the next decade this switch will happen, at least in the United States.

I agree. I know many people who play games with each other via Ipad, Iphone, Ipod etc... These are people who would never otherwise play games.

I never knew this until recently but someone who owns an ipod can play against someone who owns an iphone and an ipad.

pezus said:
thranx said:
pezus said:
thranx said:
pezus said:
thranx said:
sethnintendo said:
thranx said:
i only agree because i think tablets will take the place of pc's over the next decade or so. I think tablets will be powerful enough to not really need a desktop anymore. Just a bigger screen to plug your tablet into to. I dont know very many people with full home desktops anymore any ways. Usually no pc and use their phone, or a tablet.

that is true i do not. But i feel i am a pc gamer as most of my games are there as well as my play time. Tablets do not mean no keyboard  and mouse or controller. I just thik that tablets will really replace desktops as i think they will be able to fit enough power in them to be able to run good games.

Consoles have enough power to be able to run good games but they don't replace desktops

they are trying too (ms and sony at least) consoles right now though do not perform the internet and office funtions of a pc, tablets do. Very different. its more like an evolution, pc-laptop-tablet. Laptops how ever were limited as they did not have good cost to power ratio compared to pcs. for tablets/smartphones it may not matter as people will buy them with phone contracts making the price appear better.

More like a devolution if you ask me...desktops are capable of far more than laptops or tablets. It's sort of like consoles vs. handhelds. Handhelds will not suddenly replace consoles just because they're portable.

once windows 8 is in full swing there will be little distincition between a a tablet a pc and maybe even a  mobile phone. even now, what can pcs do that tablets can't.  its nothing like consoles vs handhelds, i am not saying they will overtake because they are portable. I am saying they will because people will buy them with phone contracts making them just as cheap as a pc and if you have a device that can do all the functions of a pc, why buy a pc? I think over the next decade this switch will happen, at least in the United States.

Play PC games for one. Be much more powerful than tablets. Have keyboards and mouse. The possibility of connecting an endless amount of accessories (controllers). Much bigger (and better) screens. Much, much, much more programs available so you can do almost anything you imagine. You don't need to bend your neck down to see the screen (and suffer possible neck injuries). Again, play PC games (hey, Diablo 3 is coming out). 

you can connect almost any device to a tablet, wether it be a keyboard and mouse, or a game controller. you can also connect them to many tvs. PC games are making their way to tablets just like console games will. Everything is there, you should just think of the tablets as a personal computer, thats what they are. I am simply saying once people buy a tablet they really have no reason for a pc. Sure pc's may exist, but they wont be the main computing devices used in home in a decade in america. That is all i am saying. Tablets and pc, just like consoles, are all not very different. and if unlocked from the hardware manufactuers os can be essentailly a pc. Also once windows 8 comes out as far as i know almost all if not all programs that run in windows 8 will run on any device wether it be a tablet, phone or pc. So they will all be on equal playing field and it will come down to cost/performance, which will be better on a tablet as you can get a contract discount on them.

Around the Network

The day when IPad becomes the future of gaming and games like Angry Birds/Cut the rope are all that are left to play, I'll quit gaming for good and look for a new hobby.

So I'll need to pay $600 for the latest iPad
Buy a wireless HDMI adapter for the tv. (extra lag?)
Buy a wireless toss link or AC3 adapter for the amplifier
Buy a wireless controller for buttons
Buy a separate network drive for storage
Buy a more expensive internet subscription or pay $1 extra for every Gb over 60 to download new games.
(Buy a separate blu-ray player)

Although might as well go with cables since it will probably need to be hooked to a power adapter when playing a demanding game for hours at a time.

Sounds a lot more convenient then a $300/$400 console...

pezus said:
thranx said:
pezus said:
thranx said:
pezus said:
thranx said:
pezus said:
thranx said:
sethnintendo said:
thranx said:

Play PC games for one. Be much more powerful than tablets. Have keyboards and mouse. The possibility of connecting an endless amount of accessories (controllers). Much bigger (and better) screens. Much, much, much more programs available so you can do almost anything you imagine. You don't need to bend your neck down to see the screen (and suffer possible neck injuries). Again, play PC games (hey, Diablo 3 is coming out). 

you can connect almost any device to a tablet, wether it be a keyboard and mouse, or a game controller. you can also connect them to many tvs. PC games are making their way to tablets just like console games will. Everything is there, you should just think of the tablets as a personal computer, thats what they are. I am simply saying once people buy a tablet they really have no reason for a pc. Sure pc's may exist, but they wont be the main computing devices used in home in a decade in america. That is all i am saying. Tablets and pc, just like consoles, are all not very different. and if unlocked from the hardware manufactuers os can be essentailly a pc. Also once windows 8 comes out as far as i know almost all if not all programs that run in windows 8 will run on any device wether it be a tablet, phone or pc. So they will all be on equal playing field and it will come down to cost/performance, which will be better on a tablet as you can get a contract discount on them.

Better on a tablet? Tablets are so far behind PCs in power. Nowhere near really. They aren't even as powerful as the 6-7 year old consoles. Handhelds will never replace consoles and tablets will never replace PCs. Sure, tablets might steal some market share...but PCs will always be there. Maybe you're right, maybe I just don't understand American culture, but I am pretty sure this would never happen in my country or most other European countries for that matter. I don't like this direction one bit.

Cost/Performance, not raw power alone. tablets will basically be subsidized by phone contracts making them appear cheaper than they are. They dont have to be as powerfull, they just need to be powerful enough, which they are. I think this will take place in the rest of the world also, just probably longer out. I dont know about other countries, but in the US for a smart phone you usually sign a 2 year contract that cuts about 50-90% off the cost of the phone.

SvennoJ said:
So I'll need to pay $600 for the latest iPad
Buy a wireless HDMI adapter for the tv. (extra lag?)
Buy a wireless toss link or AC3 adapter for the amplifier
Buy a wireless controller for buttons
Buy a separate network drive for storage
Buy a more expensive internet subscription or pay $1 extra for every Gb over 60 to download new games.
(Buy a separate blu-ray player)

Although might as well go with cables since it will probably need to be hooked to a power adapter when playing a demanding game for hours at a time.

Sounds a lot more convenient then a $300/$400 console...

LOL. Couldn't have said it better myself.

thranx said:

Cost/Performance, not raw power alone. tablets will basically be subsidized by phone contracts making them appear cheaper than they are. They dont have to be as powerfull, they just need to be powerful enough, which they are. I think this will take place in the rest of the world also, just probably longer out. I dont know about other countries, but in the US for a smart phone you usually sign a 2 year contract that cuts about 50-90% off the cost of the phone.

I already have a phone, why would I want to sign a new 2 year contract when buying a tablet.