By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What do you hate and love most in this gaming generation?

I hate so much about this gen but its given me so many good games. I guess video games will just become more like music and movies where you have to dig deep to find the diamonds in the rough.

ǝןdɯıs ʇı dǝǝʞ oʇ ǝʞıן ı ʍouʞ noʎ 

Ask me about being an elitist jerk

Time for hype

Around the Network

What I hate:

- The milking of franchises: We have seen some franchises get milked to the bones this gen, some more successful than others. I mean Street fighter 4 coming out like 5 different times is just ridiculous and AC also suffered from its yearly releases.

-Timed Exclusives: One thing is to have exclusive DLC or something on a certain game but something about TIMED exclusives just rubs me the wrong way, especially since the PS3 gets the the boot.

-The infatuation with FPS: Call of Duty. That is all.

- Sales obsession: It seems like everybody is more worried about sales now a days than the quality of a game/consoles. We argue about it endlessly and become blind idiots and bigots if our console/franchise of choice out does the other. It's sad to see gamers get divided on such a stupid topic like sales. 

What I love:

- Innovation: Games like Heavy Rain and LBP show that taking risks pay off and that developers should work on trying new things and avoid sticking to the same formula just for the revenue.

- Uncharted: Ever since I first got Uncharted 2 as my first PS3 title, I became a uncharted junkie. I cannot get enough of this game and franchise and I'm glad that Naughty Dog is taking care of it. Even with its universal success, they have taken their time making the games and I cannot wait for Drake's triumphant return. Uncharted 3 multiplayer is the online multiplayer which I have played on the PS3 for long periods of time. I usually ignore the mutiplayer side of most of my games (Resistance, MvC3, Motorstorm)

- The RPGs: This gen has had some of the most fun RPG I have ever played. Fallout New Vegas, KH: BBS, Eternal Sonata and FFXIII just to name a few. I can't wait to get my hands on KH: 3D, The last story and xenoblade chronicles.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

Hate: Fanboys.

Love: Playing wii games with my girlfriend.

Things i hate
- lack of fantasy/sci fi adventure games
- DLC which should have been part of the retail game.
-Too many FPS and general war based games
- lack of original non licensed games for young kid
- Narratives and story telling still suck.
- The of growth and progression in japanese games (style >>>substance).
- games getting 8-9's for simply beng solid and enjoyable instead of the 7s they deserve.

Things i love-
The merge between cinematic scenarios and actual gameplay (uncharted in particular).
The rise of western RPGs in their influence in all genres.
there are others but i can't think right now.

What I hate : Microsoft, Japanese developers siding with Microsoft, Japanese developers trying to westernize their games.

What I like : Valkyria Chronicles, Hyperdimension Neptune 1&2, trophies, online gaming (FPS & fighting games), Japanese developers not siding with Microsoft (understand : NIS America), Japanese developpers not trying to westernize their games (understand : NIS America).

Around the Network
ryuzaki57 said:

What I hate : Microsoft, Japanese developers siding with Microsoft, Japanese developers trying to westernize their games.

What I like : Valkyria Chronicles, Hyperdimension Neptune 1&2, trophies, online gaming (FPS & fighting games), Japanese developers not siding with Microsoft (understand : NIS America), Japanese developpers not trying to westernize their games (understand : NIS America).

That's because you don't like Xbawks 360? It's a neat machine for Japanese games.

Hyperdimension Neptunia is quite mediocre.

Love:

Bioshock (the original), the DS Lite, the Virtual Console, Nintendo's success with the Wii and DS, HD graphics

Hate:

The control in the DS Zelda games, Nintendo hardly releasing VC games anymore, the Wii not being HD

Love: Innovation in smaller budget games and retro games making a comeback. For example last year Terraria, Catherine, El Shaddai, To the moon, Dark souls were all very welcome surprises.

Hate: Action (and shooting) becoming the main focus of big budget titles. It ruined Dragon age for me and to a lesser extent Mass Effect as well. Batman AC was good but my hands ended up hurting from all the fighting all the time. Good pacing is dead nowadays, good writing is even further to be found.

Love: The fantastic quality of gaming overall, the resurgence of the 2D platformer.
Hate: Downloadable content, the ability to patch games which leads to devs shipping broken software.

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."

What I hate the most in this gaming generation is:

1. Games being generally simplified to attract a bigger crowd. If a game is too complex to play, less people will be interested in playing it, so the income is lower. Well I hate that, I like thinking when playing videogames. So if a game is simplified for the sake of MP it's fine by me, but when they touch SP I rage. I feel stupid doing simple things and I don't like it. I like the feeling of accomplishing difficult stuff. Examples of this: Command & Conquer 4, Dawn of War II, Call of Duty, Sim City Societies. Luckily there's still game series like Starcraft, Anno... bright stars shining in the darkness.

2. People that play casual games thinking they're gamers. The concept of 'gamer' was originally conceived having certain aspects in mind, and casual players do not apply to any of those. So redefining the concept because more people want to fit into it is logically invalid.

3. The Call of Duty craze. Some time ago, shooters used to have substance, difficulty. Like Half Life, FEAR (the first one), and many others. CoD games simplify very much the player's sequence of actions to achieve goals and even though they're exciting at some points, they're still simpler. I understand that there are games made for MP, and CoD is perfect for that, but since CoD is such a gold farm, more companies are making games trying to follow the CoD way, and that is really fucking up the FPS genre.

4. DLC, DRM and all that crap. As in companies wanting to fuck with you to get more money from you and to control you, that is so not cool.

5. People buying the X360. I understand that the X360 is a nice electronic entertainment device now, but it was not when it launched. The X360 followed Microsoft's tradition of being launched as an unfinished product. I would feel betrayed if I bought one back then, and I can't tolerate companies that fuck with me like that. So, for the sake of principles, I wouldn't buy an X360 at all even nowadays, because of what it means. This includes the online Xbox Live subscription, because it's like paying twice for the same. I buy a game that was meant to be played in MP like CoD, and I pay for that, and yet I still have to pay to be able to play it. It's ridiculous.

6. Last but not least. Since the games are made nowadays to appeal to a bigger crowd, making them simpler, containing more cliches, etc etc, then there's more stupid people playing them, and I can't stand playing with stupid people. Let's make an example out of League of Legends. If a player dies in it's lane and later got ganked when in its own jungle, for example, then he automatically becomes a "noob", a "feeder", an unskilled player. Same the other way around, if a player manages to get a few kills.

That is incredibly stupid. There are several factors to take into consideration before jumping to conclusions, and any logical conclusion without a logical process leading to it is invalid. For example, it takes less skill to dominate another champion if yours deals 1/3 x damage when the other champion's hit points are x, and he doesn't deal 1/3 y damage to you, your hp being equal to y. And that is just one of 1000 different aspects of the game, like the tactical developpment of a match, the champions, the runes and whatnot.

What I would like it to be? More choices for the players. And:

A. No simplifying shit.
B. No buying unfinished products.
C. No stealing the consumer or making him pay twice for the same.
D. No stupid people. I don't mean unskilled, no, just stupid people. There's a difference.

I know that won't happen though.

edit: Oh and I forgot fanboys and their fanwars, but I guess that's included in the stupid people point.