By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What do you hate and love most in this gaming generation?

What do you hate and love most in this gaming generation?

I hate most a simple thing such as, installations/ patches.Remember how easy it was to go to shop, buy game, insert it to your console and maybe there was some bugs but they were mostly funny.Now we have games that can't be finished without downloading patch.Or played without installation (ps3).

I love games of this generation (tho there aren't Jprg:s on my ps3). I can play almost any old game released on my PC or buy it from PSN store and there are millions free games.FREE GAMES!.And the quality of today's games is amazing.

Take my love, take my land..

Around the Network

What I hate:

-AI that is still the same of PS2 era games

-The fanboyism that started popping up back in 2006, no one would deny wich side attacked wich side, the media that decided to choose sides, the PS3 songs that were made etc.

-shooters, everything has to be shooter, last geenration there was a healthy balance between the shooters, platformers, action games, rpgs etc, now we get countless unnecessary shooters like Homefront, Brink, Inversion, Syndicate

-DLC bullcrap, timed exclusive DLCs, timed exclusive demos(RE6)

-western rpgs, the lack of Japanese rpgs from the good SquareSoft, the combat system of Dark Souls is 1 billion times better then Skyrim

Things I like about this gen:

-Sony investing more in their first, 2nd party, back in PS2 era almost everything was exclusive, they didnt feel the need to do better back then.

-online on consoles

Hate: The introduction of paid DLC.

Love: Not a lot actually... but the Xbox 360 Dashboard get my vote (at least the old one).

- Anything that started from PC that made its way to consoles: DRM, DLC, Patches Xxct
- Japan's downfall: globalization/ Long development cycles/westernization/Lack of push for any game not 20 years old/ not releasing anything in the west not 20 years old/ no desire to reclaim marketand a lack of presence xxct
- Westen development: The way they design games/Whats important them when designing games/lack of real creativity, originality and imagination/Mass milking/ horrible visions for industry that only benefit them xxct
- Cinematic games
- realism focus
- Shooters

add more later

Love: The VC and backwards compatibility of the Wii
WW, PSN, XBox Live - a haven for small independant developers and novel game ideas
Apple/Android Apps - free/cheap games like Angry Birds
Motion Controls - adding immersion (when used properly) and broadening the market
Online play
The ability to patch a faulty game or rebalance multiplayer
Mii's / Avatars

Hate: The movification of video games - I'm probably alone on this one, but I hate this trend.
FPS overkill. HD consoles are so unbalanced this gen with FPS/TPS/Action titles dominating, Wii also unbalanced in the other direction - platformers, party, casual
Patching games means it's studios are more prone to release them unfinished
Motion Controls - used as a gimmick / cheapening the market
The rise of blockbusters - While a great title desires to sell better than a good one, it's become skewed so that a yearly release of CoD sells 15m but another 'good' FPS may struggle for profitability.
Apple/Android Apps (and to a lesser extent WW,PSN,Xbox Live) - Games like Angry Birds redefining what a game should cost (cheap or free) causing great games like Rayman's Origins or Rythym Heaven to flop.

Around the Network

Hate the many fanboys nowadays, but love the 3DS.

Xxain said:
- Anything that started from PC that made its way to consoles: DRM, DLC, Patches Xxct
- Japan's downfall: globalization/ Long development cycles/westernization/Lack of push for any game not 20 years old/ not releasing anything in the west not 20 years old/ no desire to reclaim marketand a lack of presence xxct
- Westen development: The way they design games/Whats important them when designing games/lack of real creativity, originality and imagination/Mass milking/ horrible visions for industry that only benefit them xxct
- Cinematic games
- realism focus
- Shooters

add more later

Yeah, yeah. But what about the stuff you hate?

Hate - The time when wii was getting short handed with software (namely PS2 ports) and developers/publishers outsourcing developement of blockbuster titles for wii's version of said game (i.e. The Force Unleashed, X-Men Origins etc). Plus a number of titles that were announced worldwide but only available to one country (mainly japan)

Love - The Virtual Console, thats about it.

Hate the FPS, beat em up, and easy action HD games getting so much praise
Love Nintendo back to the number 1 sales wise

I hate day one DLC that could've been in the game, same for Day one patches
also hate the lack of JRG's this generation :/

but love most other games, especially mass effect