By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Which FPS series has the best single player campaign?

Which FPS series has the best single player campaign?

Battlefield 4 1.07%

BioShock 99 26.54%

Call of Duty 15 4.02%

Killzone 31 8.31%

Halo 80 21.45%

Resistance 23 6.17%

Other... specify! 77 20.64%

See results 44 11.80%

Total:373
lestatdark said:
usrevenge said:
Jay520 said:
I'd say Half-Life even though I haven't played. I'm confident that so many people on the internet can't be wrong.

the half life love is the falacy of past memories, its like when people say morrowind was better then skyrim then it turns out to be a load of crap. if you play half life 2 right now you will probably be like wtf... it has a few good things but its nothing special ( actually pick up the orange box for $10 or so and try it on 360/ps3)

unless this is half life 1.. havent played it tbh

anyways i picked halo. halo 1 is still the best console shooter.
Kinda feel like bioshock shouldn't be on the list because it was a single player game, so it should have the better story. but even still i didn't like it to begin with ( nice setting though)

Unless you actually play through those games in current times and still find them better than the current alternatives. Your argument would be valid if people based those feelings on nostalgia alone after years since they last played them, but in most cases that's not what happens. 

Personally, I still play both Half-Life and Half-Life 2 (I still got the full Orange Box installed on my laptop, heck that's the first thing I install everytime I switch laptops) and I play a lot of Abandonware and retro games that I still find much better than the current alternatives. 

Newer experiences don't automatically mean that they are better than the previous ones just because they're fresher. Heck, even some newer games are less substantial in both content and complexity than older games. For example, you give the Skyrim vs Morrowind comparison; while Skyrim is indeed an amazing Elder Scrolls game (my personal favourite, it dethroned Daggerfall), it doesn't have a lot of the complexity that Morrowind or Daggerfall had and in some aspects it has even less content, though it's much better executed and streamlined than those two games (except for the UI part), so while some people will adapt better to Skyrim, others will still prefer Morrowind or Daggerfall to it.

I'll end by saying that it's not a good thing to encompass the opinions of everyone who sees an older game as being the better alternative to a genre or anything else just by claiming that it's due to Nostalgia alone. That can be insulting and demeaning to the capacity of critical thought of a gamer.

Well said. I just started replaying Baldurs gate 2 after 11 years and I'm amazed how well it holds up. It's refreshing to play a game again with well written dialogue. Sure some things are not as streamlined, AI pathing is pretty bad in particular, but the amount of depth in the gameplay and characters puts modern games to shame.
Don't let your distaste for dated graphics withold you from playing the great classics.

Around the Network

Considering the lack of Half Life, I'd say Call of Duty.

CoD4, MW2 and MW3. WaW and Black Ops can be passed, but I loved the story of MW.

A close 2nd (Or 3rd) would be Halo

bioshock. Bioshock 2 was noticably worse than the original and its campaign is still better then every other game's campaign you have listed in the poll. Ofc if you are looking for intense firefights, rainbow 6, resistance, or halo would be a better choice. And if you want an overthetop, ridiculous story fps, that makes you feel like a badass for 4hours, then by all means buy the recent call of duties.

Halo is my personal favorite so that's what I picked, but I think it's odd not to have Half-Life in the poll.

i love that COD is so low

Around the Network

Cod 4 had memorable moments but every other Cod after it basically pasted on a campaign with half effort and focused solely on multiplayer, which didn't change much either after Cod 4 lol.

Other than that, I would say Bioshock and Killzone.

Again ????

Seriously how do people always forget Half Life as a choice.

Half-Life second place would be Bioshock

@usrevenge

The thing with the falacy of past memories is not always right. Half Life 2 is just good by todays standards my most replayed SP Shooter on PS3 is Half Life 2, and Half Life 1 has still an awesome story that will never change.

Bioshock!!!

Perfect Dark! Love the campaign and the multiplayer campaign! I should leave now and play that hd rerelease :D

SvennoJ said:
lestatdark said:
usrevenge said:
Jay520 said:
I'd say Half-Life even though I haven't played. I'm confident that so many people on the internet can't be wrong.

the half life love is the falacy of past memories, its like when people say morrowind was better then skyrim then it turns out to be a load of crap. if you play half life 2 right now you will probably be like wtf... it has a few good things but its nothing special ( actually pick up the orange box for $10 or so and try it on 360/ps3)

unless this is half life 1.. havent played it tbh

anyways i picked halo. halo 1 is still the best console shooter.
Kinda feel like bioshock shouldn't be on the list because it was a single player game, so it should have the better story. but even still i didn't like it to begin with ( nice setting though)

Unless you actually play through those games in current times and still find them better than the current alternatives. Your argument would be valid if people based those feelings on nostalgia alone after years since they last played them, but in most cases that's not what happens. 

Personally, I still play both Half-Life and Half-Life 2 (I still got the full Orange Box installed on my laptop, heck that's the first thing I install everytime I switch laptops) and I play a lot of Abandonware and retro games that I still find much better than the current alternatives. 

Newer experiences don't automatically mean that they are better than the previous ones just because they're fresher. Heck, even some newer games are less substantial in both content and complexity than older games. For example, you give the Skyrim vs Morrowind comparison; while Skyrim is indeed an amazing Elder Scrolls game (my personal favourite, it dethroned Daggerfall), it doesn't have a lot of the complexity that Morrowind or Daggerfall had and in some aspects it has even less content, though it's much better executed and streamlined than those two games (except for the UI part), so while some people will adapt better to Skyrim, others will still prefer Morrowind or Daggerfall to it.

I'll end by saying that it's not a good thing to encompass the opinions of everyone who sees an older game as being the better alternative to a genre or anything else just by claiming that it's due to Nostalgia alone. That can be insulting and demeaning to the capacity of critical thought of a gamer.

Well said. I just started replaying Baldurs gate 2 after 11 years and I'm amazed how well it holds up. It's refreshing to play a game again with well written dialogue. Sure some things are not as streamlined, AI pathing is pretty bad in particular, but the amount of depth in the gameplay and characters puts modern games to shame.
Don't let your distaste for dated graphics withold you from playing the great classics.

The Baldur's Gate series is one of the prime examples of what I said. You'd be hard pressed to find a purer RPG experience these days, even with the issues that the series had, since it's one of the games that captures the essence of pen&paper RPGs almost to perfection. It also is stiil one of my favourite RPG series of all time as well.

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"