By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why do third parties use Wii success to fund PS3/360 bombs?

Game_boy said:
madskillz said:
Here's the deal. I own a Wii, have several games, but truth be told, WiiSports is good enough for most folks. Look at the Wii numbers - Mario sells, WiiPlay sells, but that's really it. Developers are down to make loot. And using last-gen technology to make games is easier than using multi-million-dollar budgets for games that the Wii crowd *may* not buy. Look at MP3. It was doing good, but not awesome. And that's a 1st party title!

Even as popular as the Wii is, it is really a risky venture for developers. If it's not Mario or offer a free remote, it's the luck of the draw.

MP3 made a profit. Lair didn't. Equally hardcore games; but at least the Wii game was profitable.

MP3 is highly regarded, Lair was slammed.  Not really comparible.  MP3 is actually selling well for a Metroid title, and if it keeps holding like it is will become the best selling of the 3, but still not terribly impressive.  It won't prove anything either way to 3rd parties.  

@madskillz - almost didn't recognize you since you turned white.

Around the Network
Famine said:
Game_boy said:

MP3 made a profit. Lair didn't. Equally hardcore games; but at least the Wii game was profitable.

You just compared a first party title for the Wii with a third party title for the PS3.

lair was published and hyped by sony,almost like a first party title

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

Gamerace said:
It's very simple really, because 3rd parties started all those PS3/360 games prior to the systems launch (about a year for most) but only started Wii games after launch.

The industry has been having problems with rising costs - shrinking profits for years, this generation is really bringing that to a head, so if they can make some quick cash off the Wii to stay afloat until their big budget titles come out you can see why they'd want to. *cough*Take 2*cough*

This isn't to say good 3rd party games aren't coming, their just late to the party like they were with DS.

The other challenge is with the diverse consumer group the Wii has. Most 3rd party games are aim at a very specific demographic (15-25 male) which is only a fraction of the Wii's ownership. They need to make GOOD mainstream games for the Wii to find success.

Exactly.

Gamerace said:
Game_boy said:

MP3 is highly regarded, Lair was slammed.  Not really comparible.  MP3 is actually selling well for a Metroid title, and if it keeps holding like it is will become the best selling of the 3, but still not terribly impressive.  It won't prove anything either way to 3rd parties.  

Substitute Uncharted. Or Heavenly Sword. It doesn't matter. Good and bad alike have failed or barely broke-even due to the budgets and exclusitivity to such small userbases.

Ubuntu. Linux for human beings.

If you are interested in trying Ubuntu or Linux in general, PM me and I will answer your questions and help you install it if you wish.

Delusional much?

Around the Network

I am happy with Sega's Wii games. I enjoy Ghost Squad. NiGHTS is not a bad game. Also, Beijing 2008 is going to be on Wii and DS. Sega's games are usually better on Wii and DS than 360, from what I have seen.

currently playing: Desktop Tower Defense (PC), Puzzle Quest (DS), Trauma Center New Blood (Wii), Guitar Hero III (Wii), Ghost Squad (Wii), Actraiser (SNES), Donkey Kong County (SNES), The Legend of Zelda (NES), Kirby's Adventure (NES)

will play next: Paper Mario (N64), Golden Axe II (Sega), NiGHTS (Wii)

Join the Ron Paul RLOVEution, support Ron Paul for president in the 2008 Republican presidential primary! http://www.ronpaul2008.com

Meh let them work the way they wqant to, in the end the stupid will die and Nintendo will own the industry

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Cause PS3/360 games are where you get your "Street Cred".

While Wii is where you actually make all your profits.

It's the same reason why some people who make a decent amount of money could save up, and continue and become successful, but instead they buy rims, or a really fancy TV system they can't afford, or new furniture or something. 

Game_boy said:
Gamerace said:
Game_boy said:

Substitute Uncharted. Or Heavenly Sword. It doesn't matter. Good and bad alike have failed or barely broke-even due to the budgets and exclusitivity to such small userbases.

Uncharted and HS will break 1m, which is good on a system with a low user base, and it does not apply to Uncharted since ND is basically a 1st party, Heavenly Sword on the other hand only had reasonable reviews, although in the long run it has sold reasonably well

While it seems like one system might be funding another, the reality is that they are using squandering profits and if they continue to do the market will punish them eventually.