By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why do third parties use Wii success to fund PS3/360 bombs?

Sorry, HS franchise is now owned by sony anyway, and Naughty Dog is 1st party, its Insomniac that say they are 100% independent from Sony (but I don't quite believe that)

Around the Network
Game_boy said:
madskillz said:
Here's the deal. I own a Wii, have several games, but truth be told, WiiSports is good enough for most folks. Look at the Wii numbers - Mario sells, WiiPlay sells, but that's really it. Developers are down to make loot. And using last-gen technology to make games is easier than using multi-million-dollar budgets for games that the Wii crowd *may* not buy. Look at MP3. It was doing good, but not awesome. And that's a 1st party title!

Even as popular as the Wii is, it is really a risky venture for developers. If it's not Mario or offer a free remote, it's the luck of the draw.

MP3 made a profit. Lair didn't. Equally hardcore games; but at least the Wii game was profitable.

In related news, I did a sociology experiment last week where I set up a Gumdrop stand next to a Steaming Pile of Cow Shit stand.

Shockingly, the Gumdrop stand sold more. Whoda thunk it?

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

They release crap games on the Wii because people buy them. I am not saying the Wii deserves crap games, but if people buy them then what motivation is their for a developer to put its more experienced devs (which seem to be used on PC/360/PS3 games where programming is more difficult and the audience expectations are higher) on Wii games?

If people buy cheaply made crap, then you can expect more cheaply made crap. The Wii will probably get more big-budget titles in the future though. Suikoden VI and Kingdom Hearts (both unconfirmed) for instance.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

@Game_boy
I agree with 3rd parties being stubborn, but I see some problems in your post:

Ubisoft is making money on every platform. They are very happy with sales on the HD consoles. The money they get from the crap they release on the Wii is a bonus.

Capcom should not be included in this example. Lost Planet and Dead Rising sold really well, however Capcom is not very happy with its sales. They wasted trucks of money in development and ads, they were expecting better sales. Devil May Cry 4 and RE5 are victims of their short sightedness. It is too late to go back. Why do you think most of they HD games are multiplatform? Because they do not think they may sell enough with exclusivity (like in the PS2). Zack and Wiki, RE UC and RE 4 are all great/good games and they are charging a lot less than the average crappy port. Monster Hunter 3 show that Capcom is really happy with sales and has faith in the Wii.

Konami so far, is not a big player this generation. Both games mentioned are still being developed. Their offerings have been "meh" in all consoles.

EA is losing money everywhere (that makes me happy). Maybe they are breaking even on the Wii.

Sega is as clueless as Square Enix. I can not find logic in their actions.

I understand your frustration. If these companies chose to ignore the Wii, they will lose great opportunities. Other companies will fill their roles. For example, that piece of shit we call Red Steel sold really well. Should Ubisoft release another one soon, it would sell well. Mainly because there are few FPS on the Wii and the guys that bought the original expect major improvements. If another company releases a great Wii FPS before Red Steel 2, I bet that its sales would take a big hit and Ubisoft will have to raise their quality standards.

Satan said:

"You are for ever angry, all you care about is intelligence, but I repeat again that I would give away all this superstellar life, all the ranks and honours, simply to be transformed into the soul of a merchant's wife weighing eighteen stone and set candles at God's shrine."

Game_boy used some awkard examples there, but his point is still valid. 3rd party developers struggle to make a profit on the Ps3, but still they release a lot of "big" games (games with high production values) for the platform, while the Wii gets the trash. 3rd parties make LOTS more profit on the Wii then they will ever make on the PS3.

So I guess the Wii does deserve a couple of high quality third party games. I think a couple will be announced halfway this year. It takes time to change the business plan, so give it time.

Around the Network
ItsaMii said:
Capcom should not be included in this example. Lost Planet and Dead Rising sold really well, however Capcom is not very happy with its sales. They wasted trucks of money in development and ads, they were expecting better sales.

Where did you get that information? Capcom openly stated that they needed 700k in sales to break even on Lost Planet... A number the game eclipsed quickly because in late January, it had reportedly sold around 1m copies (it launched in early January).

I don't see how Capcom is upset about that. 

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Lets see, cuz they're a business, and take profits from one part and invest in others, and then take profits from there and invest it back? What, do you think, their HD divisions are just hemorrhaging cash and saved by the Wii division? I'm sure Ubisoft is kicking themselves in their nuts for doing Assassins Creed instead of Red Steel 2. Hint: Wii development isn't the holy grail that it's being made out to be. You can still make alot of money on the 360/PS3, which is why companies think it's worth the risk developing for them. This isn't philanthropy or a contest to see who has the bigger dick, they wouldn't be doing it the way they are if they didn't think they can make money. Because that's all they care about in the end.

I don't think you realize how long it takes to develop a game. Both the PS3 and Wii launched a little over a year ago and what was anticipated was that each console would perform on par with it's predecesor. That information was the only information developing studios had to go on when planning a game. So they made their decisions and put out a lineup. Some of those games decided upon before the release of either console are actually still in development and slated for release this year maybe even next.

Now the consumer has come in an affected the market. Developers now have sales figures to determine their lineups and their future directions. If they see a large market most likely they will want to capitalize on it. I don't think the PS3/360 titles you mentioned bombed but they were for the most part more expensive to create than their Wii counterparts. Less profitable maybe.

With Wii's explosive growth, developers can't make the mistake of not realizing a growing market, where the competition isn't as intense as on the 360.

Because if the game does turn out to be a success on the PS3/360 the developer is practically guaranteed a hefty profit from that game and every sequel they churn out after.

This is a bit conspiratorial, but gaming companies have at large (with the exclusion of Nintendo) had one dream and one only. To make games with life-like realism. I don't think they care what the cost is. This is all they've ever wanted. If they can break even on next-gen games with Wii funding, I don't think it matters that much. All these companies already have multi millions or billions in the bank. It's not like they're in any danger of running short of cash. I mean, seriously..