By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - How Sony can save the Vita

4 things the Vita can do to be  a massive success by end of 2012 

I think the Vita launch just about manages to be called a success. I would consider it a soft launch and unless Sony does something to increase the momentum I feel the system fade into obscurity. 

1. Sort out the issue of memory.

The only way I see the system progressing is for the digital market to thrive and that can’t happen without cheap and easily available memory. I think during the 2nd half of the year Sony need to start including 8GB flash memory in every Vita System, it may reduce Sony’s revenue in the short term but without it I feel like the system is dead on arrival, flash memory is also fairly cheap nowadays.

8GB is enough to initially support the digital market and show of the systems potential whilst still leaving room for Sony to make money from their memory cards. Having said that, the memory cards will need to be significantly cheaper, as its current price alienates the mass market and will ultimately limit the sale of software.

2. Make the Vita the number 1 place for small budget, indie titles.

This starts with Sony having all future PSN (SEN) titles available for the Vita such as: Journey, I Am Alive, shank 2 and sonic the hedgehog 4. As well as a handful of past titles and securing some previously exclusive XBL games: flower, Pixel Junk, Echochrome, Limbo, Trials, Fat Princess, Castle Crashers etc. Such titles can also be enhanced with touchscreen input. Beyond PSN titles they should encourage the release of IOS games on the platform, casual titles but more importantly titles like “Mass Effect: Infiltrator” and “Dead Space”, which could greatly benefit from buttons and analogue sticks.

Once they establish that such titles can flourish on the system, hopefully more developers will see the PSN as a more enticing platform, with both core and casual gamers in mind. A frequent stream of high quality arcade games like Bastion, Limbo, Jouney, From Dust, Castle crashers and a whole host of Vita exclusive projects could define it as the best place for indie projects and reduce reliance on remakes and massive titles like uncharted which are bound to be infrequent. This is where I think we will see the most exciting and original PSVita content will come from.

I also think such titles will thrive on the platform based purely on my own behaviour, I tend not to buy many downloadable titles for my home consoles because I spend 90% of my time on them playing big AAA titles them. It’s easy to see how small downloadable titles, despite their relative success can get lost on a home console. I personally feel they are better tailored to a handheld experience.

3. Make The Vita the ultimate gamming archive/time machine.

The Vita is the only handheld system on the market, which can easily and effectively port 7th gen titles. There lies huge opportunity for Sony making the system home to cheap and affordable classic games. I’m not talking about HD remakes but simple emulations.  Not only PS2 titles, but also 3rd party Gamecube and Xbox games, which Microsoft and Nintendo do not have rights to (e.g. KOTOR). With a gradual yet generous release of suitable titles, I feel this trait of the Vita will make it a must have for all gaming enthusiast, as no current gen system has provide an extensive catalogue of last gen titles. Sony shouldn’t only stop at the 7th gen, whenever the opportunity lies, they should try and make PSV the go to place for classics, this includes GBA, SNES, N64, Genesis, Dreamcast genesis titles as well. All HD remakes should also make their way to the Vita (ICO/SOTC, Jak and Daxter, DMC, Jet Set radio etc).

4. Smart investment in 3rdparty titles and exclusivity deals

For the 1st few year or 2 Sony should move their investment towards 3rd party exclusives as opposed to the 1st party tiles like Killzone and Resistance, which fail to sell themselves, let alone systems. Here are titles Sony could secure for in lead to the very important holiday season.

Final Fantasy Type-0 (October NA/EU release)- This title hasn’t arrived in the West yet but when it does it should be a Vita exclusive as opposed to being released on the original PSP. An international edition could be released in japan exclusive to the Vita.

Dragon Quest X  (November Jap release 2012/ march 2013 NA/EU)- Huge opportunity lies in the arrival of DQX and Sony should invest in securing this game on their platform (multi platform, not exclusive), when it launches in japan later this year. Currently on the Wii, the Vita would be the system of choice in japan as due to their favour towards portables. The Vita is not only powerful enough to maintain the visuals, it will allow for improvements. 

Morrowind ( November EU/JAP/EU) I think this would be a great opportunity for Sony to use a remake and market it as a major release. I believe it could be a massive hit following the success of Skyrim. Large scale western RPGs have never found their way to a handheld, so this would be a first. Some graphical improvements and an updated interface and the title could be sold as a premium re-mastered title and could be a massive game changer for the Vita in the west.

Call of Duty– (November EU/JAP/EU) Its seems obvious that a portable COD would be a massive success, its already confirmed but I think Sony need to be smart about the way the approach its release. It mustn’t compete with the console versions, as they will always be the preferred platform for such a title. People should be able to pick up a standalone online multiplayer component, which can act as an accessory to the console title which they are likely to already own. Account/profile sharing should exist between the Vita and ps3 game, so the portable version just an extension of someone’s ps3 game. Of course the full game (campaign included) would also be an option for the Vita but at a higher price. Ideally the stand alone Multiplayer component should retail for no more then £24.99/$34.99 at launch and the price should be discounted for those already in possession of game on PS3. The same principle should be applied to the big sport releases like Fifa and Madden.

I dont normally push for a systems success but the Vita in my eye, form to function is arguably the most complete system ever released. Like the DS pushed the handheld medium last gen, i feel the Vita can do a similar thing now.

This is how i feel the system can prevail. Do you guys think the system is in need of a saviour or will it do just fine?

Around the Network

Agreed, great list.

Indie titles are a must, it really could win over some smartphone gamers.

It will do fine as is but that list sure would help. I think the trick to selling Vitas is word of mouth. Before launch my friend called it a PSP2. After playing mine and trying Unit 13 he is hooked, buying one next week!

spurgeonryan said:
I think that is a good list. They need to figure out Japan as well. Which for me means a Monster Hunter game. They are just crazy for that franchise at this time. Other than that I think they are doing well. Have not seen week two sales yet though.

Yeah, i think they will definitely get one eventual. I think Monster hunter portable 3rd (HD) is coming out for it in japan, it was shown of at a games convention. But i suspect sony will get portable 4 whilst i'm sure nintendo has paid MH4 exclusivity. I think DQX would be all they need this year, hopefully sony pulls it out the bag.

I think Sony should slash the price of all the proprietary memory cards in half (e.g. the 32 gig would be $50). They still wouldn't be a great deal or anything but the entry price point for the system would be lower and it would attract a greater number of overall users.

Also as much as I love Sony's first party output, I agree that they should be using the money to court third parties and gain killer apps for the system. Some popular Square-Enix and Capcom titles would really help the system in Japan.

Around the Network

A great list.

Love and tolerate.

RolStoppable said:
1) Price is definitely an issue that needs to be sorted out. On everything from hardware over games to memory cards.

2) Small games aren't really a reason why people would want to buy a dedicated gaming machine, but it doesn't hurt to have them.

3) This can only happen if Nintendo sits idle, because if Nintendo makes use of what they've got, they will definitely be the ultimate go-to place for classic games.

4) Sony needs exclusives that sell the system, agreed. I don't agree with all the examples though.

Bonus question: Yes, the Vita has issues, so Sony needs to do something. The system isn't suddenly going to sell better. By the end of next week we'll know more about the Vita's future.

Small games won't be the sole reason but they will definitely be responsible for becoming remaining active with the device and thus spreading word of mouth. Also we're not simply talking about angry birds, games like limbo and the jouney which are incredibly unique experiences, which i think are far more enticing on a handheld. As for classics, nintendo moves at a snails pace, it will be 2015 before they start making GBA games available for download on the 3DS. "if Nintendo makes use of what they've got" I'd also argue that nintendo hasn't got very much, the archive of their main franchises have more or less been exploited. Im suggested sony look at the ps2 catalogue (arguably the biggest of any system) and take advantage of the brilliant 3rd party software. The 3DS gets up to the dreamcast before porting becomes a problem, it can't play gamecube/ps2/Xbox games without fairly modification to both the visuals and control scheme. It needs to be inexpensive, the Vitas power allows for this.

Don't think it needs saving yet. At least not in the Western markets. It just launched!
They do need to do something about Japan though.

Not bad.

However, you made one mistake. The Vita will not be getting Dragon Quest X. No console other than those made by Nintendo will be getting DQX, at least for the next 10 years. It just won't happen; Nintendo wouldn't allow their killer app in Japan for the WiiU to be stolen by another company.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Wow, Sony needs to get here quickly, so many armchair analysts on here.

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?