By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Playstation Vita is the Wii

dahuman said:
there is no gimmick on the vita in the year 2012......... but 3DS is still gimmicky with the 3D though.

3D is what you would call a feature since it adds visual cosmetics, where cosmetics in the realm of Video games actually matters as a fundamental feature. A gimmick would be a hanging pompon at the end of the stylus.

Around the Network
theprof00 said:
ClaudeLv250 said:
Vita isn't anything like the Wii. For one, people actually bought the Wii. And it had games. More importantly, it actually was disruptive.

Vita isn't disruptive. It's the opposite of disruptive. It's exactly what everyone expected a PSP successor to be, nothing more, nothing less. It's further evidence that Sony doesn't get the handheld market. PSP had minis. No one talks about them, but they were there. It also had critically acclaimed games. Peace Walker may have bombed on its face outside of Japan but you can't say the games weren't there. Social integration and apps are not unique to the Vita.

I'm a claude, and I didn't read the thread

I'm a prof00. I talk a lot, but I don't say anything.

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

happydolphin said:
dahuman said:
there is no gimmick on the vita in the year 2012......... but 3DS is still gimmicky with the 3D though.

3D is what you would call a feature since it adds visual cosmetics, where cosmetics in the realm of Video games actually matters as a fundamental feature. A gimmick would be a hanging pompon at the end of the stylus.

or the Wii

dahuman said:
happydolphin said:
dahuman said:

or the Wii

Or yeah, like a pompon you can attach to the Wiimote's extension port, good example there too.

EBWOP: Hey dahuman, as an example, here is a gimmick.

Imagine they sold this to kids with no blue spring-thingy. That would be a disgusting shameless gimmick.

With an appearance of utility, it serves absolutely none. Now compare that to the motion and pointer controls of the Wii...

You can't.

The power glove, hey that was a gimmick. It absolutely didn't work from what I remember. My friend had one and we couldn't even turn it on. And whenever I suggested we use it, I was always encouraged to shove it right back into the drawer.

With a semblance of utility, it served none. That's a gimmick.

The fact that Jack Tretton calls it a gimmick is understandable, the fact that you do is worthy of eternal facepalming. Congrats, you've unlocked an achievement.

Around the Network
ClaudeLv250 said:
theprof00 said:
ClaudeLv250 said:
Vita isn't anything like the Wii. For one, people actually bought the Wii. And it had games. More importantly, it actually was disruptive.

Vita isn't disruptive. It's the opposite of disruptive. It's exactly what everyone expected a PSP successor to be, nothing more, nothing less. It's further evidence that Sony doesn't get the handheld market. PSP had minis. No one talks about them, but they were there. It also had critically acclaimed games. Peace Walker may have bombed on its face outside of Japan but you can't say the games weren't there. Social integration and apps are not unique to the Vita.

I'm a claude, and I didn't read the thread

I'm a claude who responded to a title and ended up looking like a big silly.

theprof00 said:
ClaudeLv250 said:

I'm a prof whose words are so meaningless that I forgot I even typed them in the OP:

The Vita is Sony's counterattack. The Vita offers more social integration. It offers apps. It offers minis. It has both cheap games and critically acclaimed ones, and even has a new way to control games with the rear touchpad. It also features headtracking, and remote play.It's giving gamers what gamers want, and hopefully, bringing that brand down to the lower levels.

It's okay that you didn't realize that I was responding to your specific points; it was partially my fault for taking off the kid gloves and not quoting a specific block of text. If my threads were as banal, I'd probably have reacted the same way.

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

ClaudeLv250 said:
theprof00 said:
ClaudeLv250 said:

I'm a prof whose words are so meaningless that I forgot I even typed them in the OP:

The Vita is Sony's counterattack. The Vita offers more social integration. It offers apps. It offers minis. It has both cheap games and critically acclaimed ones, and even has a new way to control games with the rear touchpad. It also features headtracking, and remote play.It's giving gamers what gamers want, and hopefully, bringing that brand down to the lower levels.

It's okay that you didn't realize that I was responding to your specific points; it was partially my fault for taking off the kid gloves and not quoting a specific block of text. If my threads were as banal, I'd probably have reacted the same way.

"Vita isn't anything like the Wii. For one, people actually bought the Wii. And it had games. More importantly, it actually was disruptive."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Vita released to the fanfare of many, and the ire of others.

"There's no room in the market for Vita"

"PS VITA is a gimmick"

Had you going there didn't I?

No this isn't a thread about how the Vita will surely be successful by comparing it to the Wii. I mean, for one, nobody likes the Wii really."

fuckin BUSTED. LOOOOOOOL

trying to play it cool. Please, I wrote the book on cool. Exit stage left, tail between legs.

RolStoppable said:
theprof00 said:
The intel example is kind of weird actually. In theory its downstream but in practice its just undercutting

Bottom up disruption is best defined as starting with a crappy product for crappy customers which gives the entrant into the market (or disruptor if it's an established company) kind of an immunity, because the incumbents don't see profits or worthy profit margins in that segment, so they don't view the entrant/disruptor as a threat to their business. The entrant/disruptor refines their products over time and eventually starts to eat into the marketshare of higher quality products, all the while having higher profit margins than the incumbents. This makes the disruptor more competitive and the incumbents will retreat from these lower segments, because the profits to be made cease to be worth it for them.

So in the case of a top down disruption, the ultimate goal has to be to transform your product into a crappy one for crappy customers. Right?

Given the PSV's price of the hardware and also the 3DS's, Sony has a long way to go. But more specifically, the crappiest customer in the mobile gaming market today would be the person who buys a phone and then $1 games, because they happen to own a device that can play games. Like you noted, the PSV isn't a phone, so Sony can already forget about such a strategy.

But Sony could make the PSV a phone, right? Theoretically yes, but in praxis it's not going to work, because of size issues. A device with a d-pad, buttons and sticks cannot be, no matter what you do, shrunk to a comparable size of today's smartphones, thus it is unappealing to the crappy customer who would only game as an afterthought.

The PSV is neither equipped nor can it be retooled to be a disruptive product.

You know I do agree on your points, which is why I said a phone version would have to come out.

I would expect a phone version to look differently.

Which is also why I wrote this thread, to point out that Sony could be in trouble with this portable.

Also stop trolling my thread claude.
even master troll rol actually read the thread and is at least on topic.

Which I thank him for, but partially I think he is just responding because he feels sympathy now that his threads are as bad as mine. :D