By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Playstation Vita is the Wii

A console is not like the Wii because it is hated.
A console is not like the Wii because it has a new control system.

A console is like the Wii if it aims to expand the gaming audience, rather than continue to seek out the same audience.
The Wii was the first console that aimed to appeal to older gamers and females.
The PSV is aimed at teenage males, just like the PSP, and just like the PS3 also.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
theprof00 said:
Top dowm sirely exists but i dont think sonu is currently able to deliver it. Ms probably is capable but they loathe the indie devs and small games. On the other hand thier konect games do reflect the quality of their beand...
i mean ive been talking about the playstation suite idea for a few uears now and it jist doeant seem like they can handle these kinds of new ideas.
Not extending their contract with thaygamecompany is a rwflection of this.

I don't doubt that top-down disruptions exist, but they are generally rarer than the reverse approach, because they are harder to pull off.

The question I am asking is more if Sony branded games really have what it takes to threaten Nintendo, especially because Sony usually puts their weakest teams on such projects. And let's suppose Nintendo gears up in the next 18-24 months and supplies the downmarket with some appropriate games, what chance does Sony have at this point? Does Sony have a trump card?

No, they really don't. I mean, possibly, possibly playstation suite is set out to change that, but they need to catch up and fast.

Vita's main strengths right now is its 3g and apps. Its main weakness is not being a phone. Vita is Sony's counterattack and while they may be able to expand horizontally, ie; expand their portable base to include more console gamers, this is not a great move. It's a cautious one, and one that in the end may result in complete failure.

scottie said:
A console is not like the Wii because it is hated.
A console is not like the Wii because it has a new control system.

A console is like the Wii if it aims to expand the gaming audience, rather than continue to seek out the same audience.
The Wii was the first console that aimed to appeal to older gamers and females.
The PSV is aimed at teenage males, just like the PSP, and just like the PS3 also.

You're boring this thread to pieces.

RolStoppable said:
theprof00 said:

No, they really don't. I mean, possibly, possibly playstation suite is set out to change that, but they need to catch up and fast.

Vita's main strengths right now is its 3g and apps. Its main weakness is not being a phone. Vita is Sony's counterattack and while they may be able to expand horizontally, ie; expand their portable base to include more console gamers, this is not a great move. It's a cautious one, and one that in the end may result in complete failure.

So essentially the point of this thread is that you had way too much time on your hands. Joelcool7 would be proud of your essay.

Well, I consider the difference being that I'm a Sony fan writing this, and not a Nintendo or MS fan. Granted they might have better punctuation or not ramble as much, but it's important to acknowledge some of the weaknesses and say to ourselves, "let's really enjoy this system and do what we can to support the things we like".

Well my thoughts about OP can be pretty much summed up as:

I LOVE ICELAND!

Around the Network
KungKras said:

This is an excellent point. Sony is lacking in originality. I agree.

" I mean, for one, nobody likes the Wii really."

Read until this. Obviously not worth reading more ...

By the way: Vita is doomed and in two years from now dead.

z101 said:
" I mean, for one, nobody likes the Wii really."

Read until this. Obviously not worth reading more ...

By the way: Vita is doomed and in two years from now dead.

Well it was meant to be a joke, so I'm sorry I offended you.

Bizarro Wii?

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

theprof00 said:
KungKras said:

This is an excellent point. Sony is lacking in originality. I agree.

I know, I'm rather proud of it.

I LOVE ICELAND!