By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii U to be priced at $299?

Tagged games:

Feniris said:
Xbox and Gamecube games later in the generation we're both superior (at least graphically) in 3rd party releases to the PS2 version.  (See Splinter Cell or Resident Evil 4)

I don't expect anything different for this gen.   However, at least the Wii U will be worth porting a low end version of all 3rd Party releases to, which is more important anyhow. 

You're right about splinter cell.  But RE4 was GC exclusive, then much later on capcom made a totally dumbed down PS2 version, not sure if that counts as a port?  But yes, I should not have said "equal graphical ground", I'm sure there will be a difference in ports from Wii U (even if a little) visually, but hoping not that significant.

superchunk said:
Its already noted to have internal flash memory of some size plus the capablity to add an external HDD and/or SD card. So, yes it won't have  a "sizeable HDD" and I'd bet around 4 to 8GB of internal flash.

However, I strongly think it will include a wiimote+ and nunchuk in the package along with a bundled game. Reasoning is it will increase its value for the mass consumer and provide some with their first WM+ device. Additionally, they are VERY cheap for Nintendo to make and provide along with the new pad.

The rest of the specs that are strongly rumored I have in my thread in my sig. It will be a really good jump from PS360 levels and relatively close to PS4/X720 when they release in 2013.

I hope they do include wm+ & nunchuk, but again, not at the sacrifice of power if the price is $299. If its that cheap to produce, included it by all means. I just think they won't b/c it will be an incentive to the Wii install base.  People don't want to pay for what they already have, so in the consumer's mind they think they'll be paying extra for something they don't need.  On top of that, this is for the "U" customers, those that had no interest in a Wii mote in the first place, that's why I think that option will be left open. Will be interesting to see eventually, I'll buy mine on launch for sure.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
NintendoPie said:

Am I one of these people? ^.^"

(Sorry Rol, I don't know how to effectively delete posts from a quote. Not even sure if you are allowed to.)

Put the cursor in the box you want to delete and click on the sixth icon in the fourth row (Delete row) of the rich text editor. It's actually welcome to delete redundant boxes, because it reduces the clutter in the forums. Especially when you quote a stack of ten or more boxes only to add a single line as response. Usually you never need to keep more than three boxes to retain the context, in most cases one or two boxes really are sufficient.

Rol, I'd like to continue the debate please. It's been mulled over all day.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=140758&page=1#

Whoever was following the debate, follow us and post your minds.

ChristianTheAtheist said:
Didn't they say it "wasn't going to be cheap"?

More recently though, they've said they've learned from the 3DS's early problems.

Love and tolerate.

GREAT NEWS!!! Day one buy........

Byclop said:
GREAT NEWS!!! Day one buy........

news ? it's a rumor ...

better wait for the E3 Nintendo conference for pricing information

Around the Network

I am afraid that Sony and MS will make sure to copy Ninty's controller and whatever other awesome features they come up with, diluting the market for the Wii U. I am thinking that it will not be the overwhelming #1 seller of the generation.

However, at $300 with a pack in Wii Sports-ish title, this thing could sell like hot cakes over the holidays and get off to a crazy good start.

The thing that would make me the happiest is if 3rd Parties finally were able to be successful on a Ninty platform, and the thing sells 150M+. I would love nothing more than to be wrong about Wii U not selling as well as Wii.

299? Well that's what I've been saying since E3.

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

Wow that sounds really bad for Nintendo. I cannot see how they can profit at 299$. Not with the controller that has been talked about. Even if the console is only twice the power of 360 299$ is really cheap. I am concerned if that price is legit that either Nintendo is taking a 50-100$ loss or they cut corners on the hardware.

If the console is more powerful then 2x as some have indicated as high as 5x then I am even more concerned. Nintendo could not sell such hardware at 299$ without taking a massive hit. I was expecting a 399$ price tag and was pretty satisfied with that price and confident it would sell.

But obviously Nintendo is not as confident. I hope they didn't cut corners to bring the manufacturing cost lower.

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

Joelcool7 said:
Wow that sounds really bad for Nintendo. I cannot see how they can profit at 299$. Not with the controller that has been talked about. Even if the console is only twice the power of 360 299$ is really cheap.

CPU & GPU that are much more powerful than the chips in the Xbox360 only costs a few cent more. And the Wii U controller is not as expensive as you think. It don't need expensive hardware besides the screen and a chip to decompress the video stream from the console.

Joelcool7 said:
Wow that sounds really bad for Nintendo. I cannot see how they can profit at 299$. Not with the controller that has been talked about. Even if the console is only twice the power of 360 299$ is really cheap. I am concerned if that price is legit that either Nintendo is taking a 50-100$ loss or they cut corners on the hardware.

If the console is more powerful then 2x as some have indicated as high as 5x then I am even more concerned. Nintendo could not sell such hardware at 299$ without taking a massive hit. I was expecting a 399$ price tag and was pretty satisfied with that price and confident it would sell.

But obviously Nintendo is not as confident. I hope they didn't cut corners to bring the manufacturing cost lower.

Nintendo's tablet controller is no where near as advanced as an Android tablet, yet I can many of those for $99. I'm sure they can sell their controller for $60 with a profit and thus not a whole lot different than when Wiimote first launched and over time its cost of materials will significantly drop.

Considering 360 sales for $200 at a significant profit, a $300 console could very well be quite a bit more powerful. I'd bet $299 is the price that is very low in profit if not breaking with Nintendo considering that 6mo to 1yr in (time of competitor's launch) they'll be already hitting solid black on each unit sold without any accessores/games AND still be at least $50 less than the competition. Enough to not have to do a price cut for at least its first two years on the market.

$400 for any next-gen console is realistically too much. X360 had trouble selling at that price when it was the only horse in the race. With strong competition, MSony would be stupid to target that as a launch price, but that doesn't they won't. However, IMO its the maximum price either company will target. $350 is what I expect neXtBox/PS4 to launch at with their base models.