By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Up! 25th February - Hardware, PSVita Over 500k!

PS victory,why not choose this name?

Around the Network
Salnax said:

I did not mean to confirm any suspicions. I just wanted to say "These numbers make sense, based on an ancedote." Then, other people could have said things like "Oh yeah, my Walmart didn't have enough Wifi models either!"

It's just weird to use such a small store, and say "i'm not surprised".

From what I've seen, the 3g was probably nearly equal in popularity. @online stores, 3g trends higher, and the bigger memory cards sell more too.

I believe Vita's conference in Japan is going to be Huge.... I mean, megaton huge!

I'm looking at some graphics on GAF and Vita is reaching Dreamcast levels. Sony knows that and they'll do whatever it takes now to raise the sales there!

VicViper said:
theprof00 said:
Salnax said:
theprof00 said:
Salnax said:
I'm not surprised by these Vita numbers in America. The local PlaynTrade has sold only 1 or 2 of them so far. I was the fourth person to even ask about the system. From what I've gathered, there are too many 3G models and not enough WiFi ones.

wtf is a playntrade?

And from my gamestop, they had too many wifis and not enough 3g.

Play N Trade is a relatively recent franchise of game stores in the US and Canada. From what I've gathered, they're mostly present in the American North-East and Ontario. Basically, think Gamestop with more retro stuff.

So then why use a new niche store anecdotally to confirm your suspicion?

It's even worse that there are probably thousands of these small stores who sell one or two, because that would have to lower the average of all the other major retailers.

You realize that gamestop would have to sell like less than 10 each to reach this number in combination with other stores.

From what I heard from the gamestop employee, the average sales per store was 30! That's 132k by itself. so 30k between walmart, best buy, sony style, target, amazon, playntrade type stores, costco, etc etc etc

No, not 30k, probably the bundles on week 0 enter that count too. More like 120 k, which is reasonable.

This is the problem though, the guy at my GS (I'm good friends with him) said every gamestop received only 5 pre-release bundles. That was the max. With 4400 stores, that's on 22k prerelease vitas. If the prerelease numbers with 70k, then gamestop only has about a third of the marketshare for vita sales, and likely only major retailers got the pre-release bundles, like target, walmart, best buy, gamestop.

If vita sold only 150k in the US week 1, that would mean that every gamestop store only sold 11.

Of course, maybe my guy just doesn't know what he's talking about, but he was saying that company emails were really impressed with the preorder numbers...11 isn't that impressive. Look at it this way, Twisted Metal sold more copies than the Vita.

Finally, we also have that insane attach ratio of 1.6.

VicViper said:
I believe Vita's conference in Japan is going to be Huge.... I mean, megaton huge!

I'm looking at some graphics on GAF and Vita is reaching Dreamcast levels. Sony knows that and they'll do whatever it takes now to raise the sales there!

It is much better than dreamcast level mate.

Around the Network
maverick40 said:
VicViper said:

Not on weekly sales, its not.

And PS3 is going to surpass it launch aligned at any minute now

So, not bad launch numbers after all. + "Week 0" in USA (it just can't be ignored).

Not amazing, but nothing shameful, especially with all the pressure from the phone/tablet market on both handhelds.

So launch passed, time to look on what will be "tomorrow". I think PS Vita will do at least decent numbers during it's lifetime, but likely won't catch PSP's figures. Same for the 3DS and DS situation. I'm sure that phones and tablets will absolutely not kill dedicated handhelds (I just can't take phone gaming seriously), but they, of course, WILL take their piece of the portable gaming cake this gen. What will happen after this portable generation is impossible to predict for now.

P.S. I will buy a Vita around a time of E3.

ethomaz said:
ZaneWane said:
ethomaz said:
Rob-Ot said:
In the UK it was reported that Vita sold 43K?

No number was reported for UK.

- Pocketgamer.biz said it sold 43k but said the 3DS sold 89k too (we know 3DS sold 113k).

- Patrick Garratt (VG247/Eurogamer) said it sold near the 3DS launch numbers (113k).

Both guys quoting the Chart-track.

And the software sales from Chart-track suppor the Patrick Garratt words... so I guess the Pocketgamer.biz is just wrong about all (PSV and 3DS numbers).

vita sold 61,000   http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-03-01-ps-vita-sold-61k-units-during-uk-launch-analyst 

If true... good numbers... I know the 45k was bullshit.

61k is good? X360 did about 100k+ on its slim release, and 3DS 113k :-S

Nice to have confirmation of a number though

Oh, it's just another source, how many is that now? 'Close to 3DS' '45k' and now '61k'

RolStoppable said:
theprof00 said:
VicViper said:
Gee, guys! It's not that low!
Remember week 0? So add that to the count and you get a nice first week of 250+

Even with 250k it's low.

USA is 3 times the size of Japan, and consoles sell at 3 to 1 in US compared to Japan. Yet the US opening is 15% less?

UK sold about 1.2 per every thousand people.

USA is like .8

Your mistake is applying home console ratios to handheld sales. The 3DS launched with similar ratios as the PSV and right now the 3DS sells about the same amount in each major territory on a weekly basis, even though Japan should only account for 20 % of the sales while America and Europe each should have 40 % (in very rough terms). On a sidenote, this means the 3DS is doing quite poorly outside of Japan right now, although that is overlooked because it's usually the bestselling video game system worldwide.

The American launch numbers of the Vita aren't set in stone, but it's clear that anything that is missing in America is overtracked in Europe then. Personally I think the current numbers are pretty close, because the PSP did better in Europe than in America when it comes to software sales.

that's explained by the major japanese software on the system, monster hunter, visual novels that work well in 3D, and the ever popular mario.

But yes, I can agree that Japan is probably more into handhelds than everywhere else, so rather than 3-1 maybe it should be more equal. It's still baffling. At this point, I just don't trust the numbers that we've seen from chart-track. Even company insiders don't know the correct UK sales thus far. I've heard three different numbers for UK. 45k 60k 93k, 2 of them referencing charttrack, the 45 and the 93.

VicViper said:
maverick40 said:
VicViper said:

Not on weekly sales, its not.

Oh sorry I taught you meant graphics wise ha

"I'm looking at some graphics on GAF and Vita is reaching Dreamcast levels."