By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS3 + Vita to Compete with Wii U's Tech

maverick40 said:
Snesboy said:
May as well bring graphics into this. PS Vita and PS3 can't hold a candle to the WiiU's Radeon HD 4870 tech.

Stating the obvious there mate. well done.

But PS3 is already more real than real life. So, we'll call WiiU having Graphics++ ??

Around the Network
Galaki said:
maverick40 said:
Snesboy said:
May as well bring graphics into this. PS Vita and PS3 can't hold a candle to the WiiU's Radeon HD 4870 tech.

Stating the obvious there mate. well done.

But PS3 is already more real than real life. So, we'll call WiiU having Graphics++ ??

right,ok.....

cory.ok said:
Jumpin said:
It's looking like what the Wii U is doing is considerably more advanced than simple remote play. The first and most simple tech example shown was the golf game where the wii remote interacted with the Wii U controller and the TV screen.

Not to mention the core functionality of the Wii U will be built around this interface, and the PS3 is clearly not. All interactivity between the controller and the system on the Wii U will be part of the core functionality and core interface experience; and not just a tacked on feature.

remote play is information transfer, and whats happening with the vita/ps3, wiiu, apple products, and all the other stuff youre listing has been happening for years in the same capacity that its happening now, but now we (as in our society) is getting speeds fast enough for regular consumers to take advantage of it. the vita, wiiu and apple devices will all be using the same concept that is at least 11 years old (probably much older as it was standard on all windows xp devices

again, it has been 11 years since this tech has been widely available, its only being widely applied now because higher network speeds are becomming more common. at its core its just information transfer, and  both of them, will be sending that information at the same speed - both will be able to do the same things with it. neither will be better then the other, its a very simple thing to do, many people deal with this kind of networking when theyre being introduced to the topic.

I am unaware of this tech being available for 11 years. Can you please list one example of a console where a motion controller interracts with a portable tablet and a television system for a single gameplay experience?

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

The comparison isn't really that valid unless SCE ships the as of yet to be released PS4 with a PSV as a standard package, which has about as much of a chance as happening as the Wii-U controller being redesigned and specified as a standalone device that has full functionality when separated and/or disconnected from the console home unit.

Functionally, yes; the PSV can be used as a PS3 satellite controller with far more functionality than the Wii-U controller, but that's not relevant because no developers, including SCE studios are going to design a game that requires both hardware platforms to be purchased in order to play a specific game. Cross platform licensed games are about it, and those will be designed to play on either device separately. Any additional play mode that integrates both devices into the UI of a given title would have to be one of those neat features that are likely to be very cool, but not used by the majority of players.

Of course, if the userbase overlap between the PS3 and PSV becomes large enough, then there will be a significant enough market to justify the additional development costs of such games, but it's way too premature to be counting those chickens.

Jumpin said:
cory.ok said:
Jumpin said:
It's looking like what the Wii U is doing is considerably more advanced than simple remote play. The first and most simple tech example shown was the golf game where the wii remote interacted with the Wii U controller and the TV screen.

Not to mention the core functionality of the Wii U will be built around this interface, and the PS3 is clearly not. All interactivity between the controller and the system on the Wii U will be part of the core functionality and core interface experience; and not just a tacked on feature.

remote play is information transfer, and whats happening with the vita/ps3, wiiu, apple products, and all the other stuff youre listing has been happening for years in the same capacity that its happening now, but now we (as in our society) is getting speeds fast enough for regular consumers to take advantage of it. the vita, wiiu and apple devices will all be using the same concept that is at least 11 years old (probably much older as it was standard on all windows xp devices

again, it has been 11 years since this tech has been widely available, its only being widely applied now because higher network speeds are becomming more common. at its core its just information transfer, and  both of them, will be sending that information at the same speed - both will be able to do the same things with it. neither will be better then the other, its a very simple thing to do, many people deal with this kind of networking when theyre being introduced to the topic.

I am unaware of this tech being available for 11 years. Can you please list one example of a console where a motion controller interracts with a portable tablet and a television system for a single gameplay experience?

its been available for much more than 11 years, as the first time that it was used it was used for text because of information limits. it was widely available after the windows xp launch in 2001, 11 years ago. remote desktop is essentially the same thing, that the wiiu, vita/ps3 and apple are using and yes this was avilable to motion controls during windows 98, when tomographic detectors (im pretty sure they also used cameras for motion control on windows 98, but that didnt fail as hard, so i picked tomographic detectors to really drive my point across.) were placed into laptops, which didnt end up catching on. on a side note, many windows 98 laptops were also built with infrared sensors, one of the technologies that the wiimotes use for pointing.

as i clearly stated in my first post, this has not been applied to consoles until now because of information transfer limitations (ill repeat myself for the unattentive though), we're only just getting to a place where a majority of people have a high enough speeds that this would be able to become relevant. the industry tried placing these kinds of things into technology before speeds were at acceptable levels for stability and they lost a lot of money, an example would be tomographic detectors, lots of r&d, as well as manufacturing went into that and it fell pretty hard - right now its still being applied to other things though, your old garage door opener probably uses this technology :)

anyways, if you dont read any of that heres the gist: the core technology hasnt changed much, the limitations surrounding the technology have been collapsing though. at first, the only thing you could do was call on text line commands, then full text, then they went graphical. as the amount of data thats been able to be sent back and forth increases the amount that they can do with this technology increase. because everyone has the same speed limitations, everyone is on equal footing, no one will be able to outpreform another - if wiiu can do it, any platform with similar networking capabilities can, hint: both will be capped at 11n speed (assuming nintendo wont screw us here) so both will have the same networking capabilities

Around the Network
Aj_habfan said:
Panama said:
Aj_habfan said:
Panama said:
I bought the device expecting full remote play with a healthy portion of my PS3 titles. Sony better deliver, but for now I would like the Skype App to launch.

Yea, Sony better deliver on your uninformed and unrealistic expectations!

So unrealistic that people running their PS3s on CFW can already play a bunch of PS3 games on their Vitas via remoteplay. Not to mention they showcased Killzone 3 running via remoteplay at TGS but hey, there are no plans for a firmware update to have Killzone 3 run via remoteplay. Did you hear? The slim has no PS2 backwards compatibility, but now for just 10 bucks you can buy these PS2 classics off of PSN. 

Stop falling for Sony's bullcrap and stand up and ask for results.

Apparently you were the one that fell for the bullcrap.

You know they still advertise remote play with titles like Killzone 3 in stores right? Go to Target and check the PS3 they always have running. Last time I went to Target they had Vita advertisement videos playing and it was showcasing Remote Play.

Point is, if you aren't going to do it, don't advertise it. If they do advertise it and then say they have no plans to include it, well, then take it off your advertising because it is false advertisement.

So yeah, at the moment he has every right to bitch about it. Sony lied.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

pezus said:
Snesboy said:

Ugh, Nintendo taking the low road again?

Nope lol

The idea only makes sense if your willing to spend $250 on a PS3 and then another $250 on a Vita. And thats just the hardware, never mind games and accessories.

That makes no sense.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

lol not going to ever compete with it , their not as powerful ,

especally the vita , the vita is less powerful then the ps3 as it is ,
the wii u was updated lately so i highly doubt they can compete visually and tecnically , sound as the wii u can -patents show better hardware in side the controller alone ,

The combination PS3+Vita for remote play is obviously not near as powerful as the Wii U + Wii U Tablet. The stream speed between PS3&Vita is far to slow.