By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Is Playstation Vita worth buying at launch?

Tagged games:

Is it?

Yes 137 41.90%

No 120 36.70%

We'll have to see 30 9.17%

See results 40 12.23%

Total:327
Pokemonbrawlvg said:
@Bigspleen I hate Apple and their expensive products. I never used an ipod before, but I have tried another devices. I didn't much of them. I don't see how people can consider mobile gaming a real thing against handheld gaming.

Looks like we agree here, mobile gaming and handheld is to different marketsm why so called experts and market analysts say otherwise is mind blowing.

Around the Network

There are always defective units at launch for every console so I would suggest waiting a few months just so Sony can address the problems with the launch units. I've read that some users have had their systems freezing up a couple times and needing to perform hard resets on the system. Unless you need to play the latest Uncharted and a bunch of expensive ports, I would wait a while, but that's just me.

don't waste time

3DS FC 4914-3563-4510

NNID : turtuls

Well from what I can tell, it's totally worth it if you like handheld gaming. The battery life is mediocre (5-7 hours per charge), the launch titles are pretty awesome in my opinion, and from what I can tell there are no issues with the hardware (and the supposed errors it's been said to have are almost nothing.)

If you can afford it and you liked the PSP at all, get this. seriously.

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Pokemonbrawlvg said:
@Bigspleen You can lead a gamer to the Vita, but you can't make him buy it. No matter how high tech something is doesn't matter. If that's true then PS3 would have sold a lot beter than it did when it first launched.

And 3DS is gaming handheld like Playstation Vita, probably not as powerful, but it is still well liked by many for its games and features.

You can lead a gamer to the 3DS but can't make him buy it either, so what's your point? He is right when he asks what the 3DS even has to do with this thread at all, and the price of it means nothing, especially if it doesn't have the games some of us want, which is why we are in a Vita thread.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

I personally think the current lineup of Vita games is already on par with the 3DS games in spite of not even being released yet. Lumines, ModNation (I liked it., shuddap :P), Uncharted, and a slew of Downloadable games is on par with the 'great' games the 3DS has. Excluding ports, what does 3DS have? Mariokart, super mario 3D Land, Resident Evil Revelations, Nano Assault, and Pilotwings? in a year? Vita has Uncharted, Lumines, Wipeout, Hot shots Golf, and Touch My Katamari?

Once we factor in downloads, 3DS has Pushmo and Mutant Mudds (whatever that is), but Vita has gravity Rush, Super Stardust Delta, Motorstorm RC, and Escape Plan. If you factor in Ports, that means the 3DS also has Zelda Star Fox, Street Fighter, Skylanders, and some others, whereas Vita has Rayman, BlazBlue, Fifa, MArvel vs Capcom, and more.

I'd say this is damn impressive, and I'd be inclined to add Little Deviants and ModNation Racers to that list.

nintendo is currently ahead, but Vita isn't even officially released yet.

Yes, it's worth it. ESPECIALLY if you get a decent sized card and download PSP games like I plan on doing with Disgaea and a few other gems that I could never find on PSP. (thinking about getting the Persona games, too, but they are pretty expensive and to be honest I'm not sure if their style fits me well.)

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

Around the Network

I don't have the money to buy the Vita just yet, and I won't until summer, but right now, I would say that the launch is great. Three things the Vita has that the 3DS didn't are a fully completed OS, decent launch titles, and plenty of games to look forward too. I'd say go for it around May (wait until Sony fixes any defective units).

I don't think the people in my around are interested. The Gamestop and Wal-mart I go to have plently of Vitas left in stock. Gamestop only had three people at the midnight launch. Wal-mart is overstocked, they had six Wi-Fi Vitas on the shelfs and plently of 4 and 8GB cards. I didn't see the 16 or 32GB cards on the ailes or their place holders so I don't know if they are selling them or not.

Read my original story on Fictionpress (Shinigami Twin): http://www.fictionpress.com/s/2996503/1/Shinigami-Twin 

As well as my other one (Hell's Punishment): http://www.fictionpress.com/s/3085054/1/Hell-s-Punishment

Nintendo Network ID: kingofe3

Been following CheapyD's experience with the Vita and while it looks beautiful it just doesn't seem worth it. Meh titles outside of Luminies, and they are doing the same thing they did with the PSP (IE portable versions of console games, not my cup of tea. Granted the 3DS has some to, but seems to be a bit much on the Vita.)

Also First Party Nintendo > Sony (HANDHELD WISE).

So no.

It's just that simple.

many handhelds have ports of console games, Vita thus far seems to be the only one particularly capable of emulating them well, take Rayman ORigins for instance. It's just a lot of fun, beautiful, and no performance issues at all. Great experience. Plus there's the PSP store if you didn't have a PSP (I've already discovered what I feel is shaping up to be a great game: Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness), so there's already a list of like a hundred or more games to chose from, many of which are cheap.

I think it's worth it if you can afford it, but if not, it's best to wait for a price reduction.

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

Actually nothing, either HW or SW, is worth buying at launch, but God bless all those good willed early adopters that debug new HW and SW and help companies recouping investments and driving their prices down for the rest of us, so I voted YES to encourage them.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW!