By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Is Playstation Vita worth buying at launch?

Tagged games:

Is it?

Yes 137 41.90%

No 120 36.70%

We'll have to see 30 9.17%

See results 40 12.23%

Total:327

I´ll buy it if I get paid

Around the Network

Never been this confused about buying gaming hardware before...

I have money lying around. I would love a cool portable device. The problem is that I just can't make up my mind. I'm like saving my money and investing it too much to spend cash on 2 portable consoles, so which way do I turn (?)...

The 3DS is super cheap, and I LOVE Mario/Zelda/Metroid. The problem is that the Vita puts the 3DS's screen to bloody shame. I've seen both run now, and I can't help feeling incredibly enticed by the technological marvel that is the PSVita.

BUT

3DS is cheaper and has much better games right now.

BUT

I have a PS3 and crossplay/streaming etc. etc. is just awesome

BUT

PSVita makes me a sitting target for thieves here in South Africa (no, really)

BUT

I would kick myself in the nuts if a 3DS revision came out with dual stick control

... I guess the only real solution is to somehow get both.

BUT

Investing the money of a PSVita at 19% (my general rate) for 10 years...

AAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHh

Salnax said:
VGKing said:
Salnax said:
Nah. I don't like downloading games, so I'll just buy a PSP on the cheap instead!

You don't have to download games. 

I do if I want to play PSP games, and buying a new system without an old library to support it strikes me as foolish, espeecially when many of the games on the Vita are not to my liking. Half of the reason I wanted a Vita at one point was to make up for my having missed the PSP.

Odd. I'll probably be one of the last people to ever buy a new PSP.

You make no sense my friend.

You could've bought a PSP a long time ago or recently for next to nothing. Instead you come into a PSV forum and argue that it's not worth it for you because you don't want to download the PSP games on the new system.

Your first response SHOULD have been: "I'm not interested in Vita becaues I'm looking to get a PSP"

or

"Vita doesn't have direct backward capability (i.e without downloading) and that's what I'm looking for"

Not to mention that it would be incredibly daft to shell out premium dollar on a system only to play old games on it.

it deserves buying at launch.

Dr.Grass said:

The 3DS is super cheap, and I LOVE Mario/Zelda/Metroid. The problem is that the Vita puts the 3DS's screen to bloody shame. I've seen both run now, and I can't help feeling incredibly enticed by the technological marvel that is the PSVita.

BUT

3DS is cheaper and has much better games right now.

Mmm, very good arguments for both sides... I think if you want to buy a console NOW, like this instant 3DS is a better chocie as you mentioned is cheaper and has more games that interest you. The technology of the Vita gives it the WOW factor that the 3DS does not have but is too early to see if the developers are going to embrace it as much as it needs to succes, so the best strategy right now would be to wait and see. I am waiting still to buy a handheld gaming device this new generation, will make my decision in december I think.

Dr.Grass said:

PSVita makes me a sitting target for thieves here in South Africa (no, really)

Same problem here in South America and not only with the Vita, I only use my handhelds in my house or when I leave the city for my hometown and want to play games.

Around the Network
Dr.Grass said:
Salnax said:
VGKing said:
Salnax said:
Nah. I don't like downloading games, so I'll just buy a PSP on the cheap instead!

I do if I want to play PSP games, and buying a new system without an old library to support it strikes me as foolish, espeecially when many of the games on the Vita are not to my liking. Half of the reason I wanted a Vita at one point was to make up for my having missed the PSP.

You could've bought a PSP a long time ago or recently for next to nothing. Instead you come into a PSV forum and argue that it's not worth it for you because you don't want to download the PSP games on the new system.

Your first response SHOULD have been: "I'm not interested in Vita becaues I'm looking to get a PSP"

or

"Vita doesn't have direct backward capability (i.e without downloading) and that's what I'm looking for"

Not to mention that it would be incredibly daft to shell out premium dollar on a system only to play old games on it.

I was in the same situation as you at one point and then I realized that with these games coming out with support for the circle pad pro, it is worth it for me to wait on a 3DS purchase now. Last thing I want is to miss out on getting a revision with a 2nd pad and then having to use that monstrosity that not only looks ugly, but in giving you the 2nd pad it also makes the screens off center due to the CCP design.

I won't touch that thing with a 10-foot pole... not even for $20 (Circle Pad Pro). As of now everything with the 3DS screams out "Oops, we rushed" right now.

I am confident that my waiting will pay off.

Edit - Ehhh, quoted the wrong post. I was supposed to quote your post above the one I actually quoted.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Nope. Not unless I see the chances of a defected Vita with hardware problems as reported.

Euphoria14 said:
Dr.Grass said:
Salnax said:
VGKing said:
Salnax said:

or

I was in the same situation as you at one point and then I realized that with these games coming out with support for the circle pad pro, it is worth it for me to wait on a 3DS purchase now. Last thing I want is to miss out on getting a revision with a 2nd pad and then having to use that monstrosity that not only looks ugly, but in giving you the 2nd pad it also makes the screens off center due to the CCP design.

I won't touch that thing with a 10-foot pole... not even for $20 (Circle Pad Pro). As of now everything with the 3DS screams out "Oops, we rushed" right now.

I am confident that my waiting will pay off.

Edit - Ehhh, quoted the wrong post. I was supposed to quote your post above the one I actually quoted.

Yep, I guess I'll be waiting too.

i have a vita right now and I can tell you, If you like Sony's first party offerings you will not be dissapointed with your purchase. There will be no 3ds esque interations for the vita so I say go ahead and purchase it now. Unless you want to wait over a year for the inevitable Vita slim.

EpicLight said:
Nope. Not unless I see the chances of a defected Vita with hardware problems as reported.

Nsanity is that you!?