By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - David Jaffe responds to G4TV’s Twisted Metal review

theprof00 said:
reviniente said:
theprof00 said:
sales2099 said:
"Finally, give it a rest with the "G4 is biased against Sony" or "paid off by Microsoft"

Oh God yes, was I happy to see someone acknowledge this. Any PS3 exclusive gets less then perfect.....and all the fans cry bias and MS moneyhatting. Oh but when a 360 games scores low.....it was well deserved right?

Cry me a river/gimme a break. Just one of the cultural differences between a 360 and PS3 fan

This was not a less than perfect.

He blasted the game for being, basically, Twisted Metal.

He says there has been no evolution, yet points out that you can now change cars mid map, he also fails to point out how easy they've made the special ablities. Specials used to be left, right, up, or up,down,left,right, etc. Now, it's either up, down, left, or right, each activating a different special. They simplified the entire control mechanic, and even included a new sniping mechanic. The game is incredibly balanced to what it used to be where the best cars were almost always the biggest. Now, each vehicle size category has a unique way to play. No longer is it just, spawn camp the power missiles, or spawn camp the barrels. Each car has a unique way to play.

He blasts it for being pinball-like in the physics. That's the point. These are cars you're chasing, not people. If you can't bounce a car, or dislodge it, you're not going to catch it.

Yeah, no evolution indeed. The reviewer scored the game for being an old franchise. And he praises rage for it's modernity? Please, rage is not a good game. It's slow, and it's boring. There's no flavor or substance or style. It's sooo vanilla.

RAGE disagrees with you.

To you and the other guy. I apologize on the misspeak, I meant Blur. Blur is the combat racing game. I don't know why Rage popped into my head.

Apology accepted. You know, Activision canned Bizarre Creations after Blur, though I really don't know why. Game seemed fine to me.

Around the Network
M.U.G.E.N said:
Christhor said:
M.U.G.E.N said:
Christhor said:

"and did you just compare mario kart to TM? 0_o wtf man..you sure you played the game before? They are NOTHING alike." Can you really read this part and say that it shows no annoyance? Because it obviously does.

Oh Mugen, what has GOTIS done to you?

wait that shows you annoyance? 0_o man not only your reading comprehension is bad but you can't even judge something simle like that. What gave you this magical impression? capital 'nothing'? LOL

not sure what gotis is :S

either way again, this is derailing the thread and a waste of my time. Think what you must

The emote, the swearing and capitalising words for no reason. If that was you trying to put emphasis on the word, then you obviously don't have enough literary experiences to know how to do so. If you don't know how to use the tools of writing, then you cannot say I have bad comprehension.

Yes, you are derailing the thread. Please stop.

well it was you who quoted me, I'm just responding. Want to stop? then stop quoting me. At least 'comprehend' that much? Pls?

and emoticon, a 'wtf' etc gives you enough understanding on the matter to the point to claim I was emotional and I have no literary experiences on such things. LOL heck the fact you can't 'comprehend' why that word was capitalized shows your level of skills too :) (OMFG SWEAR WORD AND CAPITALIZATION AND SMILE (on the internetz) = EMOTION TIME!)

Give it a rest and please continue with your argument about a game you played many years ago.

Your use of acronyms such as "LOL", "WTF" and "OMFG" seem to increase when you are affected emotiionally in one way or another. Just because you are typing instead of talking, it is still very much possible to see your feelings conveyed through your words. I'm sorry if I hit a nerve, but it's the truth.

I would like to stop replying to you, but I always feel obliged to reply to emotional posts directed towards myself. I mean, if you put emotions into it, who am I to brush it off?

theprof00 said:
Christhor said:
theprof00 said:
Christhor said:
theprof00 said:
Christhor said:

You clearly didn't understand my post. I never said that Twisted Metal Ps3 was outdated, nor did I state that everyone has been saying it is. I said that if it hadn't evolved at all, then it would have been outdated. Two very different things.

And I really can't base my own views of Black, since I, like everyone else, did not play that game. That is why I based it on the Ps1 game.

Lots of people played Black, it is one of the highest rated games on ps2, and the only blockbuster to be released with the system launch in America.

http://www.vgchartz.com/game/6517/twisted-metal-black/

I would hardly call that lots of people. A decent amount, but not lots.

It's pretty widely known that games that far back are not tracked well, and only guesstimates.

Not much else to go by though. I would rather trust VGChartz' guesstimate than your impression from friends and such.

That 1.2 is according to NPD before they had as much retail evidence as they do now, And no tracking agency from world wide.

Eh, still seems fairly accurate. Most of the outside world never cared that much about Twisted Metal, and NPD should at least have been somewhat accurate.

Christhor said:
M.U.G.E.N said:
Christhor said:
M.U.G.E.N said:
Christhor said:

"and did you just compare mario kart to TM? 0_o wtf man..you sure you played the game before? They are NOTHING alike." Can you really read this part and say that it shows no annoyance? Because it obviously does.

Oh Mugen, what has GOTIS done to you?

wait that shows you annoyance? 0_o man not only your reading comprehension is bad but you can't even judge something simle like that. What gave you this magical impression? capital 'nothing'? LOL

not sure what gotis is :S

either way again, this is derailing the thread and a waste of my time. Think what you must

The emote, the swearing and capitalising words for no reason. If that was you trying to put emphasis on the word, then you obviously don't have enough literary experiences to know how to do so. If you don't know how to use the tools of writing, then you cannot say I have bad comprehension.

Yes, you are derailing the thread. Please stop.

well it was you who quoted me, I'm just responding. Want to stop? then stop quoting me. At least 'comprehend' that much? Pls?

and emoticon, a 'wtf' etc gives you enough understanding on the matter to the point to claim I was emotional and I have no literary experiences on such things. LOL heck the fact you can't 'comprehend' why that word was capitalized shows your level of skills too :) (OMFG SWEAR WORD AND CAPITALIZATION AND SMILE (on the internetz) = EMOTION TIME!)

Give it a rest and please continue with your argument about a game you played many years ago.

Your use of acronyms such as "LOL", "WTF" and "OMFG" seem to increase when you are affected emotiionally in one way or another. Just because you are typing instead of talking, it is still very much possible to see your feelings conveyed through your words. I'm sorry if I hit a nerve, but it's the truth.

I would like to stop replying to you, but I always feel obliged to reply to emotional posts directed towards myself. I mean, if you put emotions into it, who am I to brush it off?

facepalm you are a lost cause. The one keep quoting and whining is you here, you hit your own nerve maybe? lol

and trust me when I say this, the mere fact you act like a shrink and 'think' you understand how I post just shows how little you know of me.

not sure what this bizarre attraction you have to emotions is to even get attracted by imagining them to be there, but I suggest getting some professional help to address whatever incident in your life that caused this. This thread won't do you any favors. I think I will stop now :D I'm starting to feel sorry for you as it's obvious there are some underlining issues in the works here

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

Christhor said:

Eh, still seems fairly accurate. Most of the outside world never cared that much about Twisted Metal, and NPD should at least have been somewhat accurate.

Sales of TM ps3 will resolve this. Let's hold off on this debate until then. How about just a friendly wager to remind us of the ongoing debate?

I bet that TM ps3 will sell at least 1m in the US by Christmas.

Around the Network
Christhor said:
enditall727 said:
Christhor said:
enditall727 said:
Christhor said:
M.U.G.E.N said:
happydolphin said:

Look, it's just my opinion. M.U.G.E.N. actually played it and he says it's good. I appreciate that because it's hands on, then again he loves everything Sony releases so it's hard to take it completely seriously.

what a load of bullshit..I would appreciate if you don't say stupid crap like that please. and did you just compare mario kart to TM? 0_o wtf man..you sure you played the game before? They are NOTHING alike.

and just so I'm clear and since cuz of stupid arguments like these the sony section is deserted on this forum..you are more than welcome to check over at a place like GAF on their impressions on the game. You will find hundreds of opinions there. No one gives a shit about graphics on this game as long as it performs well and it does that amazingly well.

You sure you've played Mario Kart? Because the arena mode in Mario Kart is essentially a Twisted Metal junior. Don't get your panties in a knot just because it's a viable comparison.

Also, the original reviewer guy did make a pretty decent point. If take a game that was good in the Ps1 days, and essentially just give it a graphical overhaul, then you do have every right to say to say that it's outdated. Why? Because they can be. Why isn't this the case with Mario Kart? Because the controlls are great by todays standard.

Now, I haven't played a Twisted Metal game since 2, and I don't think I am going to play this one, but if the gameplay was mostly unchanged then points should be removed because of that. It was a clunky game back in the day, but it fit the time. Now? Not so much.

you said this as if EVERYBODY claimed that Twisted Metal ps3 was outdated

isn't this guy the only person that had slick sh!t to say about Twisted Metal? hince why Jaffe replied to his comments

and you do know that there was Twisted Metal Black on ps2 right? so why act as if the last twisted metal before the ps3 was only released on the ps1?

You clearly didn't understand my post. I never said that Twisted Metal Ps3 was outdated, nor did I state that everyone has been saying it is. I said that if it hadn't evolved at all, then it would have been outdated. Two very different things.

And I really can't base my own views of Black, since I, like everyone else, did not play that game. That is why I based it on the Ps1 game.

no, i think i understood it clearly

you said --> Also, the original reviewer guy did make a pretty decent point. If take a game that was good in the Ps1 days, and essentially just give it a graphical overhaul, then you do have every right to say to say that it's outdated.

^^you were basically implying here that Twisted Metal IS IN FACT outdated because that specific ps1 game that he was talking about WAS Twisted Metal

Now you are truely showing that you did not understand what I said. I stated he had a point, the point is valid, I didn't state that it was right in terms of Twisted Metal. You are the one reading between the lines.

Why? Because they can be. Why isn't this the case with Mario Kart? Because the controlls are great by todays standard.

^^ here you are implying that UNLIKE Twisted Metal, Mario Kart has in fact evolved gameplay wise

you were trying to say that Mario Kart obviously did something right because nobody criticised it for being outdated like THEY(this 1 specific guy) did with Twisted even though Mario Karts gameplay has basically been the same for years(like this guy tried to claim for Twisted)

Again, I am not implying that the Twisted Metal controlls are bad, just that the Mario Kart controlls are great by todays standard, which they actually are. I never stated that Twisted Metal was outdated, I don't actually know, but I was countering all the people saying "But Mario Kart hasn't changed much, and everyone loves that!" Some controlls can work in todays gaming, others do not. That is a simple truth.

and i should know because i play them all

that reviewer had an agenda

Jaffe was justified in my book..

Added stuff in yo quote.

Now you are truely showing that you did not understand what I said. I stated he had a point, the point is valid, I didn't state that it was right in terms of Twisted Metal. You are the one reading between the lines.

lol ok whatever you say, Christhor *rolls eyes*

Again, I am not implying that the Twisted Metal controlls are bad, just that the Mario Kart controlls are great by todays standard, which they actually are.

yea and they have been the same for years like all these other games

and i didnt say that you implied that Twisted's "controls" are bad, im talking about the gameplay being outdated

who the hell would get mad about the controls of a game being the same LOL

i cant imagine somebody complaining saying "the button A/X has been used as the jump button for years now, THESE CONTROLS ARE OUTDATED! " LOL

I never stated that Twisted Metal was outdated, I don't actually know, but I was countering all the people saying "But Mario Kart hasn't changed much, and everyone loves that!"

why would you even try to counter that when it's true though?

Some controlls can work in todays gaming, others do not. That is a simple truth.

give me an example

theprof00 said:
Christhor said:

Sales of TM ps3 will resolve this. Let's hold off on this debate until then. How about just a friendly wager to remind us of the ongoing debate?

I feel I'm setting myself up to lose here, but I never back out of an interesting bet. Sign me up. What are the usual terms around this place? Avatar controll?

theprof00 said:
Christhor said:

this is debateable because Sony is so fucking retarded

they didn't even release a commercial for it

lol

they damn sure released a Twisted Metal Black commercial on ps2 though

it should still hit the 1 mill mark though..

enditall727 said:
Christhor said:
enditall727 said:
Christhor said:
enditall727 said:
Christhor said:
M.U.G.E.N said:
happydolphin said:

Look, it's just my opinion. M.U.G.E.N. actually played it and he says it's good. I appreciate that because it's hands on, then again he loves everything Sony releases so it's hard to take it completely seriously.

what a load of bullshit..I would appreciate if you don't say stupid crap like that please. and did you just compare mario kart to TM? 0_o wtf man..you sure you played the game before? They are NOTHING alike.

and just so I'm clear and since cuz of stupid arguments like these the sony section is deserted on this forum..you are more than welcome to check over at a place like GAF on their impressions on the game. You will find hundreds of opinions there. No one gives a shit about graphics on this game as long as it performs well and it does that amazingly well.

You sure you've played Mario Kart? Because the arena mode in Mario Kart is essentially a Twisted Metal junior. Don't get your panties in a knot just because it's a viable comparison.

Also, the original reviewer guy did make a pretty decent point. If take a game that was good in the Ps1 days, and essentially just give it a graphical overhaul, then you do have every right to say to say that it's outdated. Why? Because they can be. Why isn't this the case with Mario Kart? Because the controlls are great by todays standard.

Now, I haven't played a Twisted Metal game since 2, and I don't think I am going to play this one, but if the gameplay was mostly unchanged then points should be removed because of that. It was a clunky game back in the day, but it fit the time. Now? Not so much.

you said this as if EVERYBODY claimed that Twisted Metal ps3 was outdated

isn't this guy the only person that had slick sh!t to say about Twisted Metal? hince why Jaffe replied to his comments

and you do know that there was Twisted Metal Black on ps2 right? so why act as if the last twisted metal before the ps3 was only released on the ps1?

no, i think i understood it clearly

you said --> Also, the original reviewer guy did make a pretty decent point. If take a game that was good in the Ps1 days, and essentially just give it a graphical overhaul, then you do have every right to say to say that it's outdated.

^^you were basically implying here that Twisted Metal IS IN FACT outdated because that specific ps1 game that he was talking about WAS Twisted Metal

Why? Because they can be. Why isn't this the case with Mario Kart? Because the controlls are great by todays standard.

^^ here you are implying that UNLIKE Twisted Metal, Mario Kart has in fact evolved gameplay wise

you were trying to say that Mario Kart obviously did something right because nobody criticised it for being outdated like THEY(this 1 specific guy) did with Twisted even though Mario Karts gameplay has basically been the same for years(like this guy tried to claim for Twisted)

Again, I am not implying that the Twisted Metal controlls are bad, just that the Mario Kart controlls are great by todays standard, which they actually are. I never stated that Twisted Metal was outdated, I don't actually know, but I was countering all the people saying "But Mario Kart hasn't changed much, and everyone loves that!" Some controlls can work in todays gaming, others do not. That is a simple truth.

and i should know because i play them all

that reviewer had an agenda

Jaffe was justified in my book..

Added stuff in yo quote.

Again, I am not implying that the Twisted Metal controlls are bad, just that the Mario Kart controlls are great by todays standard, which they actually are.

yea and they have been the same for years like all these other game

and i didnt say that you implied that Twisted's "controls" are bad, im talking about the gameplay being outdated

who the hell would get mad about the controls of a game being the same LOL

i cant imaginge somebody complaining saying "the button A has been used as the jump button for years now, THESE CONTROLS ARE OUTDATED! " LOL

Some controlls can work in todays gaming, others do not. That is a simple truth.

give me an example

I just want to focus on those two points:

Just because the gameplay for certain games have been mostly unchanged, doesn't have to mean that they are outdated. Again, Mario Kart, those controlls work just as well now as they did back then. Twisted Metal 2's controlls? Those would be horrible by todays standards, because they are extremely clunky. There is a difference between being around for a long time and being outdated.

Example of controlls that don't work in todays gaming: The oldschool onrails shooters. These were loved back on the original Playstation, but by todays standards they would be horrible. Another example? Well, to take a more definite example: Metal Gear Solid. Do you have any idea what kind of outrage there would be if a new MGS game came out with the original controlls? Mario Kart still works perfectly.

Christhor said:

I just want to focus on those two points:

Just because the gameplay for certain games have been mostly unchanged, doesn't have to mean that they are outdated. Again, Mario Kart, those controlls work just as well now as they did back then. Twisted Metal 2's controlls? Those would be horrible by todays standards, because they are extremely clunky. There is a difference between being around for a long time and being outdated.

Example of controlls that don't work in todays gaming: The oldschool onrails shooters. These were loved back on the original Playstation, but by todays standards they would be horrible. Another example? Well, to take a more definite example: Metal Gear Solid. Do you have any idea what kind of outrage there would be if a new MGS game came out with the original controlls? Mario Kart still works perfectly.

Why is this even being argued. The controls are not the same. They're much tighter, feel better, are simpler, and do more, as I illustrated.

Also, for the bet, a 5$ steam/vc/etc game?