By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Mass Effect 3 Demo

Khuutra said:
There are layers to what I like about this demo.

The second half of the single-player demo is actually poorly constructed but it highlights a nice aspect of the game even in how it obfuscates one of the mechanics.

A person playing any class but Soldier will notice that in the latter part of the demo, your power cooldowns are stupidly high. Based on this, one might assume that Bioware wants you to play it like a shooter!

But this is not so. The hting is that Shepard now has a weight capacity, which is affected by the number and type of guns being carried (also possibly armor type). If you go over the weight capacity, your power cooldown starts skyrocketing. The latter half of the demo has your cooldowns agonizingly slow because the rat bastards designing the demo gave you one of every weapon type except a sniper rifle.

I'm running around in multiplayer carrying nothing but a shotgun, and I've shaved 45% off my cooldown time based on my weight bonus alone.

What this does is it creates a dynamic where you have to choose between variety of weapon (within your weight range) versus fast power cooldowns. It kind of highlights the "either or" stat change mechanic that's further highlighted by the skills you choose between.

There's going to be a massive number of synergistic, completely viable, and unique stat/skill combinations in this game. That's just, that's just stupidly exciting. I am so excited.

I also like how yoru allies are now better at using cover and surviving aggro. Got the Atlas to go after Garrus and Liara, which let me flank it and shove my shotgun right up its ass.

Indeed, the weight vs cooldown system was pretty enjoyable, my Infiltrator shep suffered a bit on the second half of the demo (played on Insanity though), due to the longer cooldowns (even though I focused more on recharge time bonus on the skill tree).

And the changes to the squad A.I are more than welcome, they now know how to aggro properly. Using TC and the Eviscerator was utterly rape-age on the Atlas xD.

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

Around the Network

You know what sucks? I played ME2 the first time through and almost everybody died. I went back to an older save, and everybody survived. Then, I started the game from scratch with my boosted stats on the hardest setting. Miranda died because I didn't take her side during an argument (WTF?). Now, with ME3 coming out, I have to decide whether I want Miranda's death to carry over or not. I don't have the time to replay the game a third time before ME3 comes out.

My only hope is if I have an old save close to the end of the game and that my other characters can keep Miranda alive--or bring her with me (but she sucks!) to fight the final boss.

d21lewis said:
You know what sucks? I played ME2 the first time through and almost everybody died. I went back to an older save, and everybody survived. Then, I started the game from scratch with my boosted stats on the hardest setting. Miranda died because I didn't take her side during an argument (WTF?). Now, with ME3 coming out, I have to decide whether I want Miranda's death to carry over or not. I don't have the time to replay the game a third time before ME3 comes out.

My only hope is if I have an old save close to the end of the game and that my other characters can keep Miranda alive--or bring her with me (but she sucks!) to fight the final boss.

That's extremely odd man!

As far as I know, all you have to do to keep all your characters alive, is have them all be loyal, and pick the right characters/members for the assignments in the collector base.

Millenium said:
d21lewis said:

As far as I know, all you have to do to keep all your characters alive, is have them all be loyal, and pick the right characters/members for the assignments in the collector base.

Miranda was loyal but then, she and Jack had an argument.  I was like, "Well, you know Jack has a point".  After that, Miranda was like "Why don't you talk to your friend, Jack" whenever I tried to speak to her.  She wouldn't say anything for the rest of the game--and I had done her loyalty mission!  So I said, "Fine, bitch.  Go ahead and die."  No combination of characters would keep her alive, after that.  I guess I could bring her with me for the final boss battle and lower the difficulty since I already got all of the Achievements.  Oh the hardest difficulty, Miranda isn't useful enough.

d21lewis said:
Millenium said:
d21lewis said:

Miranda was loyal but then, she and Jack had an argument.  I was like, "Well, you know Jack has a point".  After that, Miranda was like "Why don't you talk to your friend, Jack" whenever I tried to speak to her.  She wouldn't say anything for the rest of the game--and I had done her loyalty mission!  So I said, "Fine, bitch.  Go ahead and die."  No combination of characters would keep her alive, after that.  I guess I could bring her with me for the final boss battle and lower the difficulty since I already got all of the Achievements.  Oh the hardest difficulty, Miranda isn't useful enough.

Lol, I had that same problem, only I stomped on Jack, fortunately I figured it could become a problem , so I loaded the save from just before and scolded them both (Problem solved). Jack still won't talk to me though because I *you know what* with her.

Currently prepping my save game for ME3 by playing on Insanity, so that's a mistake I'll avoid this time.

Around the Network

Just played the demo, it was ok. Not a day 1 purchase for me.

Dialog options seem even weaker this time. There are only a few dialog options in the whole demo. Those that are there never seem to have the option of what I want to say, and whatever you pick Shepard still says something else.

For example at some point Anderson wants to stay behind and fight. Your options, "I'll stay too" and "No way in hell" Not an "Ok you stay I go" option. I pick "No way in hell", Shepard says "We should stick together" How convenient, that fits both options. Then Anderson says Ok I'll stay, you go convince the council. Yeah that's what I wanted to say in the first place...

Story mode doesn't shorten the combat sections, just makes you invincible. There's still the same amount of bad guys to mow through. (sets difficulty to narrative, one below easy)
Action mode simply chooses the dialog options for you.
RPG mode leaves the difficulty on default and the dialog options on.
You can change the settings individually in the game play menu whenever you want.

The cover based shooter combat is pretty good in the 2nd part of the demo, although I found it a bit hard to get used to the camera being so far next to Shepard. Like driving a car from the passenger seat.
Dialog delivery however is pretty bad, lip synching does not match up and it is full of weird pauses, as if you're watching a sitcom where the characters are waiting for the laugh reel.

I'm sure that if you loved ME2 you'll love ME3. I like 1 more then 2, and am not convinced 3 will bring back the good things of the first one.

In defense of the demo (which I haven't played), the demo of ME2 seemed like crap to me when I tried it. The main game was muuuuuuuuch better.

pezus said:

PC graphics to the extreme!!

Embedded is disabled for that video, you ...bastard!

link?

pezus said:

Good job with the textures Bioware...

Lol! Mass Effect's best quality unfortunately has never been character textures, the difference between Shepard and Anderson is just a bit too much though.

I played in on PS3; it is really awesome. The graphics got a lot better since ME2 :D