By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Mass Effect 3 Demo

Khuutra said:
SecondWar said:
Khuutra said:

Soldier players don't like to hear this but it's not a dynamic class in terms of playstyle, and that's doubly true in multiplayer where yo ustart off very weak and it can take a while to level. Without the narrative hook to hold you in, you need to play a class that's fubn in terms of mechanics, and SOldier isn't the most fun out of these classes.

If I can make a recommendation? Make a Vanguard, put away all weapons except for your shotgun so you recharge your Charge in half the time, and just - just go to town, okay? You'll have a lot more fun in the Vanguard playstyle, constantly on the edge of death.

This is the FPS-shooter fan in me talking, but the reason 3 out 4 of my Mass Effect saves are soldier is that they seem to have some edge in firefights. When I rented Mass Effect I tried an non-soldier class and literally could not aim due to having a dodgy aiming reticule and also being hampered by the lack of an assualt rifle (one of the main reasons I play as a soldier).

Funnily enough, my only non-soldier save file is a Vanguard. Did not enjoy being stuck with a submachine gun. Also being constantly on the edge of death or verge of dying? The latter would drive me insane. Still may have to try a different class and see if I feel any different.

Weapon choice in ME1 is arbitrary, since your best DPS most of the time can be achieved effectively with a pistol.

In ME2, you do not use the Vanguard submachine gun. Not for anything, except for maybe two boss fights throughout the whole game. Everything else is shotgun. SHOTGUN SHOTGUN SHOTGUN.

Vanguard is the shotgun class. In ME2 and ME3 they are teleporting shotgun tornadoes.

Believe me. Try a Vanguard, see how you like it. De-equip everything but your shotgun, and Charge away. You will be pleasantly surprised.

I've tried, as fun as the biotic charge it, was not pleasantly surprised. I don't enjoy close range battles and can never really make best use of the shotgun (this does not only apply to Mass Effect, it is especially true of Gears of War and to a lesser extent Halo). However, I tried Adept and that was much better, thanks for the tip.

Around the Network
SecondWar said:
Khuutra said:

Weapon choice in ME1 is arbitrary, since your best DPS most of the time can be achieved effectively with a pistol.

In ME2, you do not use the Vanguard submachine gun. Not for anything, except for maybe two boss fights throughout the whole game. Everything else is shotgun. SHOTGUN SHOTGUN SHOTGUN.

Vanguard is the shotgun class. In ME2 and ME3 they are teleporting shotgun tornadoes.

Believe me. Try a Vanguard, see how you like it. De-equip everything but your shotgun, and Charge away. You will be pleasantly surprised.

I've tried, as fun as the biotic charge it, was not pleasantly surprised. I don't enjoy close range battles and can never really make best use of the shotgun (this does not only apply to Mass Effect, it is especially true of Gears of War and to a lesser extent Halo). However, I tried Adept and that was much better, thanks for the tip.

Ah, well, everybody's different. Glad to hear you like Adept though! It is a criminally underappreciated class.

pezus said:
yo_john117 said:
pezus said:

Good job with the textures Bioware...

What the heck? That looks much worse than ME1 on the 360. 

I downloaded the demo but only to try the MP (I'm keeping the single player fresh) and it is pretty awesome. Definitely a great addition to the series!

Yes, and that's the PC version lol. Effects and lighting are much improved though

Hopefully the final product won't have that bad of textures.

pezus said:

Downloaded it on PC, holy monkey balls the screen tearing and the graphics options are a joke. Why do you do this Bioware?

Edit: But I'd like to add that I mostly enjoyed it. Not too excited about it though

Turn on triple buffering on your graphics card if you haven't already.  It should fix the tearing.

BOOM!  FACE KICK!

pezus said:
Jexy said:
pezus said:

Downloaded it on PC, holy monkey balls the screen tearing and the graphics options are a joke. Why do you do this Bioware?

Edit: But I'd like to add that I mostly enjoyed it. Not too excited about it though

Turn on triple buffering on your graphics card if you haven't already.  It should fix the tearing.

I tried that yesterday and I saw no change. I'll try again now

You really must be missing a setting somewhere. I saw no screen tearing at all in my two playthroughs on the demo so far, and I haven't messed with the options of my GPU. 

Though, Bioware did say that the demo had a lot of bugs, probably some people suffer from a lack of V-Sync? 

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

Around the Network

I really do enjoy the multiplayer. I have yet to get to the end of round 10, though. In my defense I do seem to be teamed up with a lot of scrubs.

I'm not used to using the Scimitar, but until I unlock the Eviscerator that'll be the shotgun for me.

Vanguard? More like vanGOD. Haha! Am I right, fellas? Am I right?

Sorry ladies, I'm married

Before the game releases let me get this out of the way right now. If you choose soldier class, DO NOT complain about the game being more of a TPS and less of an RPG. If you want to actually play an RPG, don't choose the class that makes guns overly powerful. Goddammit.

Play the game the "right" way and you'll actually have to put some thought into who you bring with you, how they compliment each other, and how effective they are against enemies. It makes the experience much richer......or you can just shoot everything. It's your choice.

pezus said:

Good job with the textures Bioware...

I can say with absolute confidence that this is an issue you're having, specifically; on the 360 the textures look very good, about on-scale with the conversation model textures in ME2.

Looks like a graphics card issue, based on your lack of V-sync

d21lewis said:
Before the game releases let me get this out of the way right now. If you choose soldier class, DO NOT complain about the game being more of a TPS and less of an RPG. If you want to actually play an RPG, don't choose the class that makes guns overly powerful. Goddammit.

Play the game the "right" way and you'll actually have to put some thought into who you bring with you, how they compliment each other, and how effective they are against enemies. It makes the experience much richer......or you can just shoot everything. It's your choice.

Honestly, seeing as its a Galactic War something tells me people who are able to shoot everything to pieces will be required. I like to keep the balance though, which is why I have several save files, all following different paths in terms of the decisions they make.

I must say on me2 I've always played soldier - three playthroughs as it seemed like a "noob" class to use, and I got used to it. Tried out vanguard in the demo, and instantly found it a much better experience!

Disconnect and self destruct, one bullet a time.