By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is the Wii just getting main series of games that sell most in Japan?

But why??

Because maybe most of wii's userbase isn't into a game like Assassins creed

SAME applies for COD4

as western games are like that type..they will not be exclusive to wii......

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Around the Network
kirby007 said:
biggest userbase is not multiplatform? :/ explain plz

because a userbase is specific to one platform.

During the PS2 era, it probably didn't really matter whether you release a game exclusively on the PS2 or not, you still had good chance of making profits either way. Now, not so, even if you do release it on the Wii. Don't get me wrong, I like to see some spectacular on the Wii from a NA developer. I just don't expect it.

not if it is multiplatform...

example :

userbase of fifa

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Japanese developers really have no choice. Unless their game is a massive seller, or sells massively in the west, there's just no way it can make a profit on the PS3. Development costs are too high and user base too low.

The same is not true in the West where 360 has proven itself selling software and while PS3 hasn't it can ride the 360's coattails. Also western developers make games that are generally violent, something that does not sell well on Wii (unless your shooting zombies). So they have less incentive than Japanese.

However... Small to mid-sized publishers are starting to get creamed because mediocore games are NOT selling well on 360/PS3 but still costs a LOT to make. Ultimately more and more will have to resort to Wii to survive, but that doesn't mean bringing the same game to the Wii. It means learning to cater to the audience that the Wii has, so I'd expect more new IPs than current 'big titles'.

kirby007 said:
not if it is multiplatform...

example :

userbase of fifa

User base or Installed base is a measure of the number of units of a particular type of system (usually a computing platform) actually in use, as opposed to market share, which only reflects sales over a particular period. Because installed base includes machines that may have been in use for many years, it is usually a higher figure than market share. Many people see it as a more reliable indicator of a platform's popularity.

Around the Network

shall we say it is just they way you want it too see?

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

darthdevidem01 said:
But why??

Because maybe most of wii's userbase isn't into a game like Assassins creed

SAME applies for COD4

as western games are like that type..they will not be exclusive to wii......

We're not? It's not like many developers have tried to bring top notch hardcore games with violence/mature themes/whatever to the Wii, but the ones that they have are doing quite well. Assassin's Creed probably wouldn't have done better on the Wii than the other two consoles combined, but sure as hell would've sold more than on the PS3 and been cheaper to make. 

360+PS3 was obviously more lucrative when the game started production, and might still have been when the game was released, but the Wii is getting better and better all the time from the publisher's point of view. At the rate the Wii is selling, no matter what kinds of games the owners of the HD consoles like, before the end of the year the Wii is almost certainly going to have more fans of any single genre than either of the other consoles. 

Most will probably still be multiplat, but by 2009 I expect there to be barely any major third party games that don't appear on the Wii in some form.

uhhhhh Final Fantasy isn't the biggest games in Japan Dragon Quest and Pokemon are  and if Wii gets Dragon Quest then this generation is over in Japan because thats all they buy over there lol.

Wii COLLECTION:Legend Of Zelda TP, Super Paper Mario, Wi Play, Resident Evil 4, Super Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime 3
Xbox 360 COLLECTION:Mass Effect, Gears Of War, Halo 3, Rumble Roses(Im Ashamed) , Call Of Duty 4
PS3 COLLECTION:Ninja Gaiden Sigma, Ratchet And Clank, Uncharted: Drakes Fortune

"MUST HAVE TITLES"
Zack & Wiki, Medal Of Honor: Heroes, Rygar : Battle Of Argus, Tales Of Symphonia: Knight Of RatatosK, Super Smash Bros: Brawl, No More Heroes, Final Fantasy: Crystal Cronicles 2, Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn, Soul Calibur: Legends, Mario Kart:Wii , Battalion War:II, Assassin's Creed, God Of War 3, Ninja Gaiden II, White Knight Chronicles, Disagea 3, Resident Evil 5,

"END OF THE YEAR PREDICTIONS"
|Wii- 40.46 Million | Xbox 360- 32.52 Million | PS3- 31.50 Million|

the reasoning that violent games don't sell on the wii isn't true because there have barely been any good violent, hardcore games on the wii. publishers are just assuming they won't sell for some pretty stupid reason. there haven't been any high budget high quality hardcore mature games made specifically for wii yet. the only ones close are red steel but that wasn't high qaulity but it still broke a million, and re4 which was a port that is well over a million and still selling. if someone actually went ahead and made a great hardcore mature action type game on wii it would sell millions. i'm guessing the only reason there hasn't been is because the wii caught developers and publishers by surprise and it takes a while to make a high quality, high budget game. hopefully they'll start coming around by the end of this year though.

end of '08 predictions: wii - 43 million,  360 - 25 million, ps3 - 20 million

Games I've beat recently: Super Mario Galaxy, Knights of the Old Republic, Shadow of the Collossus

Proud owner of wii, gamecube, xbox, ps2, dreamcast, n64, snes, genesis, 3DO, nes, atari, intellivision, unisonic tournament 2000, and gameboy

Soriku said:
Notice how the main series Wii is getting all sell most in Japan.

-Monster Hunter 3 (tri-)
-Fatal Frame IV

POSSIBLE: -And although not confirmed, but likely, Suikoden VI. Not confirmed yet, so please don't jump me saying "z0mg u r teh failz. N0t confermed f00l!!"
-Tales of Symphonia: Knight of Ratatosk (well, it's ONE of the Tales main series games coming out soon =/)

It has 2 (maybe 3) main series so far. That sell most in Japan. And seem to be games people have bought PS3s for, thinking they will be on the PS3, and complaining later =/

So..uh...yeah. We know the reason. PS3 and 360 sales are bad in Japan so they must go to the Wii. Well, all right, that IS a VERY good advantage, since it's getting us games.

But what of the main series that sell most in the West? When will those come to the Wii? When Wii passes 360 in the US? When Wii passes 360 and PS3 combined in the US (and maybe EU too)? What?

What are your thoughts?

Yes -expect the Wii to have a huge advantage in terms of JRPGs and all other japanese games.

carlos710 - Capitán Primero: Nintendo Defense Force

"Wii are legion, for Wii are many"