By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is the Wii just getting main series of games that sell most in Japan?

Well I really don't think any devs out there have fully taken the Wii seriously, aside from Tecmo now, as they seem to really be behind Wii, probably cause they can't be behind 360 with big Japan games haha.

But devs have really put full force into PS360 and really used Wii as their cash in in case things go bad. And here's the thing with userbases for 360 and PS3 not being that amazing nor growing at amazing rates like expected, it shows a chance that not every big game is going to succeed. You've already seen this happen to a few big games on them. And sometimes you'll see titles just not do what they expected.

And then these devs who released these crappy Wii games to just make a cheap profit off of Wii userbase, look to the Wii now for benefit hoping to fool the public into buying these awful games and making huge profits off of not to many sales. You've seen this happen with a few titles such as Carnival Games, Smartypants, cheap Wii versions of NFS: ProStreet, SvR 2008, FIFA 08, and of course other games. And when this happens devs are excited. This is why Take 2, Ubisoft, EA, THQ, Activision, Capcom, Namco, and Lucasarts never have any complaints about Wii cause they are making a killing off of cheap games selling well. I mean I can only imagine how much money EA made off of MySims or Capcom off of RE4: Wii Edition, or Ubisoft off of both RRR games, ect.

And then of course you have the other devs such as Midway, Eidos, Square Enix, ect also release those and see no success. Or they just don't release enough games on it which is Square's case. And then they have the nerve to complain after it. Have you ever noticed the only ones complaining about Wii are the ones who see no success off of their crappy games. I don't see Ubisoft complaining. But I do see Eidos complaing. Just how it works.

So what you get in the end is a whole lot of cash ins and really a perception that Wii has no good games. Which to a certain extent is true, but its' not the Wii's fault. Or Nintendo's. It's just most devs are using all their resources on PS360 and then hoping to whoever the hell is out there that Wii saves their ass. Sometimes it works, most of the time it doesn't. Now I'm not saying that all Wii devs aren't trying. Sega, Ubisoft, EA, Namco, Tecmo, and Capcom have all jumped on the bandwagon and are really starting to see that hey if our shitty games can sell then imagine if we bring big brand titles there. Thus you now see Monster Hunter, Fatal Frame, Sonic, Tales, and better stuff from EA and Ubisoft.

But it leaves devs goign into late 2008 and early 2009 with quite a dilemna. They can either take a risk with PS360 or they can really reduce the risk almost in half by going to the Wii, while also sacrificing some graphical creative vision. Thus as you've seen the choice is pretty obvious and your seeing a lot more devs jump on the bandwagon just as Soriku is explaining, cause money is always over fulfilling your dream, unless of course your Kojima or Miaymoto who have full creativity and development dictatorship. No limits.

Basically the gist of all that only a few devs took risks on the Wii early. Otherwise it was used, kinda like PS2 was used in 2007, as a way to ensure success and profits. But going into 2008, your going to start seeing some major shifts in development thought as they start to say ya know it's just a lot more profitable and better to bring bigger name titles to the Wii, where we are ensured a better chance of succes. On Wii they hardly even have to sell 300k-500k to break even, while PS360 titles may need to be million sellers to break even.

This doesn't mean PS360 won't have big titles. I mean what you'll probably see more is Wii just starts getting versions of the PS360 titles, which is probably why COD5 will be on Wii when it comes out. Start seeing like this. But Wii is not giong to be put on the backburner as our savior system, and start getting a lot better content going into 2008. Especially from the Japanese developers, where any title not released on the Wii in Japan, is almost a failure from start. I mean PS3 you still have a chance for success but not as much as you would really want, and 360 almost no chance whatsoever. So Square Enix, Capcom, Namco, Tecmo, KOEI, Konami, ect are all going to start really pumping them out on the Wii, which is why titles like Suidoken VI, Kingdom Hearts 3, ect all make perfect sense to be exclusive for Wii when the release.

Devs will definetly give us better stuff in 2008 for Wii cause they almost have too. So 2008 and 2009 should be pretty good for Wii. 2007 was just a test year I suppose for 3rd parties.

Around the Network

The reason publishers will be reluctant to put a violent game on Wii is because even though it's user base may become larger than 360, at last check 1/3 were women, a large portion old school and even some mature/senior. And let's not forget the kids. Worse, those that are in the target audience for those type of games are the very ones most like to have multiple consoles and they'll almost certainly get it on 360/PS3 instead (if it's an option).

Having said that, I still hold an exclusive game like Time Splitters could do fantastically on the Wii, especially if it plays off the stereo-types and becomes sorta anti-establishment, and seen as just plain fun, not to mention a kick-ass FPS with the best FPS controls around.

@ Zuca, great read. I think the developers have already shifted their recources since last year, when it became apparant the Wii was a huge hit. Expect some megatons this year.

Of course the Japanese-centric games are shifted first, cause the Wii has more then 50% marketshare there. In NA its not even close, so it's obvious that the biggest Western-games are scheduled for PS360. But this will change as well. I think all consoles will have their big games. Wii had some trouble at the start, but I can't really blame the developers after the Gamecube's 3rd party failure.