By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony: We Should Probably Develop Less Games

i never figured i'd see people who consider themselves gamers concern themselves more with the business side of a console manufacturer than its games output
i don't make that point to take anything away from their financial woes though, as they are definitely in trouble

Around the Network
Killiana1a said:
Better yet, get the eff out of the gaming industry altogether with your lol $2.8 billion loss for the 2011 3rd quarter. No one is buying Uncharted compared to those who are buying Grand Theft Auto, Nintendo 1st Party franchises, Halo, and Activision-Blizzard games. Seriously Sony, the writing is on the wall. You are done. Your television business is a failure, the PS3 making 2nd place this gen will be a pyrrhic victory, and your music...LOL.

Anyone want to take bets on when Sony will enter bankruptcy? How many more $2.8 billion 3rd quarter losses can Sony endure?

I don't think it would make sense to leave the game industry. That division still has plenty of potential for Sony. Better to drop a different division.

Uncharted?  That's a poor game to highlight your point. It's actually selling quite well- 3.5m already for the new title, U2 is at 5.5 million. It's turning into a big seller and may yet show more growth going forward, if ND + Sony decide to stick with it into next gen. It's actually been one of Sony's successes on the software front this generation.

As for Sony going backrupt, time will tell.

o_O.Q said:
i never figured i'd see people who consider themselves gamers concern themselves more with the business side of a console manufacturer than its games output
i don't make that point to take anything away from their financial woes though, as they are definitely in trouble

Gamers used to just be kids.  Now they have gone to college, gotten jobs, know about economics, finances and world trade, etc... they aren't just 12 year olds beating up goombas anymore. 

And you can't have any more fun games if your company goes under. 

Gaming is a more serious business than it was before.  The industry makes more money than Hollywood now.  That didn't use to be the case at all.  When you get to be big time, it matters. 

At the same time, they haven't been putting out the best exclusives either, which also lead the statement of quality over quantity.  Not just necessarily sales.

BOOM!  FACE KICK!

Ha....ha. Id like to say I told you so.

Having a ton of exclusives every year with therefore thin spread marketing per game will lead to sales of each game not giving a proper return on investment. Without proper awareness, blockbusters will be rare and therefore will fade in the memories of the general gaming public within a year.

Thats why MS releases a few exclusives and markets the crap out of them, while releasing new games on lower-risk avenues like XBLA where it doesnt really matter if they flop or not.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

blue7x7 said:
Rainbow Yoshi said:
Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception is selling considerably well and was only released 3 months ago. Microsoft rely on the same old franchises which boosts their profits as they do not take the plunge of seeing through a new franchise. Even Nintendo try to experiment with new franchises.

You must not own a Xbox 360 wasn't Alan Wake a new IP they do release new IP it's just they don't sell well but they do experiment. Also people tend to forget Gears is practically a new IP that was created this gen.

Anyways as for the topic I agree with Sony they should focus on less titles but give each title more attention I never understood PS3 owners wanting like 10 exclusives every year I always felt that they just wanted many exclusives to rub it in Xbox 360 owners face but when you look at their sales it's obvious they don't buy them. Sony needs to understand not many people are willing to buy 2 or 3 $60 games a month so they should release fewer but higher quality games sort of like MS and Nintendo do.

I wouldn't say the quality is really an issue, Sony produces plenty of critically acclaimed material that doesn't sell up to scratch but has small diehard communities actively playing the games on a daily basis. (The online PS3 owners you mention probably do actually buy the games, just they represent only a fraction of the install base.)

I'd say the accessiblity of the games and the marketing, or lack therof, is the key issue.

Around the Network
sales2099 said:

Having a ton of exclusives every year with therefore thin spread marketing per game will lead to sales of each game not giving a proper return on investment. Without proper awareness, blockbusters will be rare and therefore will fade in the memories of the general gaming public within a year.

Thats why MS releases a few exclusives and markets the crap out of them, while releasing new games on lower-risk avenues like XBLA where it doesnt really matter if they flop or not.

You maybe right, but I think MS is releasing too few of them. 

Yay!!!

DarthVolod said:
Rainbow Yoshi said:
Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception is selling considerably well and was only released 3 months ago. Microsoft rely on the same old franchises which boosts their profits as they do not take the plunge of seeing through a new franchise. Even Nintendo try to experiment with new franchises.

Microsoft in conjunction with Epic developed Gears of War which is just a year older than the Sony/Naughtydog developed Uncharted franchise while being milked for titles less often than the Uncharted series with 3 gears games vs. 4 uncharted.

Gears was a new and untested franchise which Microsoft in conjunction with Epic took a plunge on and succeeded.

Both Sony and Microsoft took a chance with a third person shooter series during pretty much the same time period. Why don't you accuse Sony of the practice of relying on the same old franchise when they do it to a greater degree than Microsoft?

Also, let's not forget Sony's big exclusive so far this year is a now ancient PS1 series, Twisted Metal.

Microsoft is not looking much better this year with Halo 4 (like the 8th game in series now?) but at least they also have Witcher 2 coming.

Minecraft yes? 

Im waiting for that game. Apparently theres a splitscreen mode! ZOMG!!!

Yay!!!

Wh1pL4shL1ve_007 said:
sales2099 said:

You maybe right, but I think MS is releasing too few of them. 

I agree with that, but then again, things are becoming more multi-platform.  Microsoft had a GEM with Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2 for it's first year.  It's too bad Bioware had to go all EA.  But yeah, I wish there were a couple more exclusives.  Sony may have too many, but Microsoft could use maybe 3 more and still solidly market them all. 

BOOM!  FACE KICK!

Carl2291 said:
badgenome said:

Yes, just not in this century.

I'll have you know the definitive driving simulator has shit all over Gears of War and Halo combined this century*

*Gran Turismo 5 > Gears of War PC + Halo Wars

I'm confused, you say definitive driving simulator but I don't see Forza mentioned. Maybe I should check the reviews again...

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Wh1pL4shL1ve_007 said:
DarthVolod said:
Rainbow Yoshi said:

Microsoft in conjunction with Epic developed Gears of War which is just a year older than the Sony/Naughtydog developed Uncharted franchise while being milked for titles less often than the Uncharted series with 3 gears games vs. 4 uncharted.

Gears was a new and untested franchise which Microsoft in conjunction with Epic took a plunge on and succeeded.

Both Sony and Microsoft took a chance with a third person shooter series during pretty much the same time period. Why don't you accuse Sony of the practice of relying on the same old franchise when they do it to a greater degree than Microsoft?

Also, let's not forget Sony's big exclusive so far this year is a now ancient PS1 series, Twisted Metal.

Microsoft is not looking much better this year with Halo 4 (like the 8th game in series now?) but at least they also have Witcher 2 coming.

Minecraft yes? 

Im waiting for that game. Apparently theres a splitscreen mode! ZOMG!!!

When I think of exclusives I usually only consider retail games. I am looking forward to Minecraft, but I am not sure if it is staying an exclusive though because I thought I heard of a version coming to PSN.