By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony: We Should Probably Develop Less Games

Just an observation based on the game database ...

There are 452 games listed in the database as being published by Sony for the PS3 and only 46 of those games have sales above 500,000 units; and there are 237 games from Nintendo published for the Wii with 48 having sales above 500,000 units. While I don't think the game DB is entirely accurate, it does seem to indicate that Sony produced twice as many games to have a similar number of successful titles; and when you add in the difference in development costs between the platforms, it would seem like Sony is spending 4 to 8 times as much money to match the success of Nintendo.

In my opinion, I think this would indicate that Sony probably should produce half as many titles and focus those resources on making the other half of games better.

Around the Network
pezus said:
HappySqurriel said:

There are 452 games listed in the database as being published by Sony for the PS3 and only 46 of those games have sales above 500,000 units; and there are 237 games from Nintendo published for the Wii with 48 having sales above 500,000 units. While I don't think the game DB is entirely accurate, it does seem to indicate that Sony produced twice as many games to have a similar number of successful titles; and when you add in the difference in development costs between the platforms, it would seem like Sony is spending 4 to 8 times as much money to match the success of Nintendo.

In my opinion, I think this would indicate that Sony probably should produce half as many titles and focus those resources on making the other half of games better.

Woah, 452 Sony PS3 games? That's more than I was expecting

Sony, MS and Ninty also publish, WW or in some regions, games developed by 3rd parties: games also developed by them or by 1st party devs are a subset of the published ones.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

pezus said:
HappySqurriel said:

Woah, 452 Sony PS3 games? That's more than I was expecting

The number is probably inflated and inaccurate, but I think you would see similar problems with Nintendo's numbers; which means it is probably alright to use it for comparison sake.