By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - How Nintendo made Blu-ray win the HD format war

http://www.itbusinessedge.com/blogs/rob/?p=182

The article talk about how HD-DVD was winning, and since PS3 was failing in the beginning of its life compared to the success that PS2 had,  if Microsoft had won the console war and not lost to the Wii, it would have emerged as the HD format winners too.

It goes on to explain Toshiba made the price to heavy for Sony, so high that it depended to heavily on winning the HD war; while even if HD-DVD failed Toshiba wouldn't have as much of a problem. (They are producing the cell anyway)

"

When Toshiba got Paramount and Dreamworks to go exclusively HD-DVD, it cornered Sony and put a spotlight on Time Warner. It gave Sony time to ensure Time Warner would not move to the HD-DVD camp. Now people are speculating that Paramount will switch back to Blu-Ray, and few seem to believe it when it says it won’t.

A critical element, the PS3 game system, initially should have assured an early victory for Sony. Instead, the Blu-Ray technology made the PS3 too expensive for the market, moving Sony from first to a distant third in that segment. Even so, Sony was selling PS3s at a much higher rate than the combined sales of HD-DVD and Blu-Ray standalone players.

Toshiba needed to cripple PS3 sales, and the weapons were the Xbox 360, which had an HD-DVD option selling in comparatively low volumes, and the Nintendo Wii, which had dominated the market since launch.

There was no apparent focus on moving more Xbox 360 HD-DVD accessories, and Nintendo was manufacturing-constrained, shifting sales over mostly to the PS3, which was seen as newer than the Xbox 360. Toshiba had a significant price advantage on its HD-DVD player, but it allowed prices to creep up during the buying period. This market is incredibly price-sensitive; once prices crept over the critical break point of $200, they slowed sharply because people had set their value point at the earlier prices."

It goes on to explain further what Toshiba should have done. I think it is an interesting read.

Around the Network

A little far fetched...

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

Blu-Ray may (has/will) win because Sony was willing to lose far more than anyone else was inorder to capture the HD-Movie format; Sony has already lost billions, has lost billions in potential revenues (over the next several years), and has damaged a major brand.

Looking back, Toshiba and the DVD Forum could have lost a similar ammount to Sony and "given" away HD-DVD drives to both Microsoft and Nintendo and had people download their HD-DVD Movie player for a fee ($50 to $100).

Notice one of the article reads:
"Paramount can defect because a clause in its contract with the HD DVD camp allows the studio to switch to Blu-ray if Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc. dropped its support of Toshiba's standard, the newspaper reported today, citing unidentified people familiar with the plan. "

If this is true then obviously Paramount made sure they had an escape plan just in case Time Warner turn to Blu-Ray. So it just a matter of time before Paramount switches too.

Nintendo Wii must have helped blu ray win by not being able to play DVDs! HAHA

Around the Network

RRRAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH I HATE THESE BLU F**KING RAY THREADS EVERYONE HAS BEEN POSTING RECENTLY. IT HASN'T WON YET.

I HAVE A LOT MORE HD DVDS THAN BLU RAY BECAUSE I LIKE THEM MUCH MORE, SO THERE.

@ georgepir - sorry that wasn't aimed at you just a general outburst of anti blu ray anger.

RRRAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH I HATE THESE BLU F**KING RAY THREADS EVERYONE HAS BEEN POSTING RECENTLY. IT HASN'T WON YET.

I HAVE A LOT MORE HD DVDS THAN BLU RAY BECAUSE I LIKE THEM MUCH MORE, SO THERE.

@ georgepir - sorry that wasn't aimed at you just a general outburst of anti blu ray anger.

Nintendo didn't cost Microsoft the war with Sony, Microsoft did with the RROD.

If Nintendo was completely out of console race this would have help Sony even more in Japan.

Really dumb article.