By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Has FFXIII-2 Bombed Worldwide? Where Will The Series Go From Here?

Has FFXIII-2 Bombed Worldwide?

Yes, especially in Japan 73 26.45%

Yes, especially in the West 34 12.32%

No, the sales are great 169 61.23%

Total:276
kowenicki said:

Yeah, its a wish more than a prediction.

(on ME2... I dont rememebr the debate and I'd like to see the context, but I'm glad I was right)

This doesnt alter the fact that FF isnt what it was in either sales or quality. 

I can't find it, spent 10 minutes looking. I know it was around the start of 2011, right around ME2 PS3 release... But there were so many threads with people talking about it.

Quality would be subjective. For some people XIII is the fave, for others it's like a totally different series.

Sales, nowhere near.

Around the Network

I hope not. XIII-2 is awesome.

Nanaki said:
Game bomb if doesn't make a money.

FFXIII-2 sold about 1.8 millions, IMO money are already back.

So no bombing.

For some haters, this game bomb even at 10 millions because they don't like it.

Let just put it this way FFXIII-2 is the worst selling FF since the SNES era nearly 20 years ago, just a little comparison FFX-2 sold more in it's frist week in Japan alone than FFXIII-2 has sold world wide so far.

13-2 is a great improvement over 13. The fact critics have scored it lower than its predecessor when it addresses practically everything wrong with its predecessor means we need a complete overhaul of the numerical game review system, or critics themselves must wake up and stop being so horrendously inconsistent.

As for its sales. When you're selling the sequel to one of the most hated JRPGs of all time don't expect good sales.

Panama said:
13-2 is a great improvement over 13. The fact critics have scored it lower than its predecessor when it addresses practically everything wrong with its predecessor means we need a complete overhaul of the numerical game review system, or critics themselves must wake up and stop being so horrendously inconsistent.

As for its sales. When you're selling the sequel to one of the most hated JRPGs of all time don't expect good sales.

You have a better chance of actually visiting Valhalla for yourself, than seeing those people change.

People never change.

Around the Network
markers said:
morenoingrato said:
Stop making the series some western-wannabe game.
Also, trying going back to your roots for once, you know, there's a reason old Final Fantasy was so popular, go back to active time battle.

ATB is still present in FFXIII / FXIII-2

OT: I don't see how it bombed. Its going to get anywhere between 2-5 million when its all said and done. Thats a money maker for a game of this kind.

I think I wasn't clear, I meant bring that old STB system back, the one where you actually had Magic Points.

The game sales are fine especially considering the terrible time it was released. Sales are typically horrible around this time of the year, yet the game sold over a million combined in one week out west, hardly flop worthy.

The Final Fantasy series has the potential to garner a ton of sales. So in that regard, it probably has "bombed." But most games don't even see these kind of sales in their entire lifetime. So in that sense, the game is on track.

It's not a bomb but it is definitely a huge disappointment.

It's sales are more in line with a FF spin off than a main title. To put things in perspective in Japan it seems 13/13-2 have hurt the series a ridiculous amount. 13-2 is going to be the worst selling main FF game EVER in Japan. It will also be the only main FF title to not reach 1 million sales in Japan.

For those interested, these are the sales in Japan of the main games. 13 itself was down at Nes/early snes levels and 13-2 is by far the worst performer.
FF8 - 3.63m
FF7 - 3.28m
FF9 - 2.78m
FF10 - 2.73m
FF6 - 2.55m
FF5 - 2.43m
FF12 - 2.33m
FF10-2 - 2.11m
FF13 - 1.88m
FF3 - 1.39m
FF4 - 1.33m
FF1 - 1.21m
FF2 - 1.08m
FF13-2 - 0.79m

In the West it's been doing a little better but not great. Worldwide it will likely be the worst selling main FF title since the series went 3D.

A big problem is how long the games take to make though. In 7-8 years they managed to put out 2 games. In just around 6 years (edit: Sorry put 4/5 at first but it should have been 6) Bioware will have put out the entire Mass Effect trilogy. the first two games being critically far better received. Before someone does a sale comparison keep in mind we have no idea about ME's sales on PC as well.

With the utter mess of 13, 13-2 and 14 Square have massively damaged the franchises reputation.

Turkish says and I'm allowed to quote that: Uncharted 3 and God Of War 3 look better than Unreal Engine 4 games will or the tech demo does. Also the Naughty Dog PS3 ENGINE PLAYS better than the UE4 ENGINE.

Great Post ^^

Can't compare 13-2 to X-2...X-2 came out after one of the greatest games ever where 13-2 came out after one of the most hated games ever.....

Sales are fine. If 13-3 comes out then the sales are going to drop even more. 13-2 will have better legs-long term due to word-of-mouth.

If Versus bombs SE should worry

PSN: Saugeen-Uwo     Feel free to add me (put Vg Chartz as MSG)!

Nintendo Network ID: Saugeen-Uwo