By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - 360 successor features tablet-like controller with HD screen, touch-enabled?

o_O.Q said:

i could have added more but regardless, from what i've seen, vita previews that don't mention how light it is are very rare, but at least you concede you are making assumptions

Fair enough, we do not know which is lighter relative to volume. Since the WiiU barely has anything to hold, I figured it was lighter relative to volume but I have no numbers to back that up. If going by hearsay, then you're right I can't argue on that ground since Vita had that as well. Conceded.

Nonetheless, if neither you nor I know, how would the author of that article know? It's reasonable to assume he held it, but why would he consider it bulky when everyone else said it was light relative to the size it exhibited. Something is wrong. That's the central point anyways, so on this aspect (the author's opinion) I stand my ground. Either he is biased, or he spoke out of his hat (like you and I do, reasonably, we have nothing else. He on the other hand is a journalist). Either way, I dislike it ;)

o_O.Q: i guess you put that there to imply that the vita feels heavy and cannot be held comfortably in both hands?

happyD: Relative to the Wii U Controller, yes.

o_O.Q: that may be right but how did you reach that conclusion? you haven't handled either product and you haven't showed any comparisons on the two from journalists so what is the basis for your conclusion?

In terms of heavy, I conceded that above, I really don't know and the Vita articles discredit my argument, so that's yours.  As for ergonomics, though I have not handled either, from videos I've watched, I can tell you the Wii U controller is much more confortable by the looks of it. But even if we did handle it, you would never concede because comfort is a matter of preference. Since you're that kind of poster (you don't use common sense on these kind of things), I won't argue it with you. With someone who can see the difference between this and this, I'll continue the debate:

Vita

Wii U

happyD: "How is the Vita comparable to the iPad and the Wii U not?"

o_O.Q: its his/her opinion as i said before 

As a journalist, he should have an informed opinion, not just an opinion. If everyone was to just blabber their opinion and put on the "Journalist" tag, then what a shitty industry this would be to follow. Thank heavens for instructive journalism based on facts rather than tastes. Given everything brought up this far, his opinion sucks and is obviously full of bias. I rest my case.

As I've said many times before, there is opinion, and then there is Opinion. Someone with a lousy opinion should be quiet.

In a context where we all look for facts and information, an unfounded opinion is not enough. Stop repeating that "it's his/her opinion" nonsense if you want to be taken seriously.

Last point about this. He is entitled to his opinion, but as a journalist or poster, all opinions need to have a rationale. It's not enough to just say "It's my/his opinion". That is baby talk.

If you want to defend his opinion, be my guest. But just saying "That's his opinion when I've brought up facts and considerations to work with is ridiculous. I won't waste my time with it.

Around the Network
HappySqurriel said:
Rainbird said:
Silver-Tiger said:
Well, if all three go with Tablet controllers, Nintendo will win the next generation, too.
When the consoles become more and more similar, the games will be the only thing that makes a difference. And on pure games, Nintendo wins, hands down.

Isn't that kind of what happened with the PS2 and the GameCube though?

While I agree with Silver-Tiger that Nintendo has the advantage, I disagree with his reasoning ...

When you have a market filled with (essentially) generic products the company that controls the market has the advantage. Having the largest userbase in the previous generation and launching before Nintendo and Microsoft helped Sony gain control of the market long before Nintendo or Microsoft could respond; and in this generation Nintendo will have the largest userbase in the previous generation and will be launching before either Sony or Microsoft.

Both seem plausible for me, the outcome will be the same, though. Nintendo wins.

updated: 14.01.2012

playing right now: Xenoblade Chronicles

Hype-o-meter, from least to most hyped:  the Last Story, Twisted Metal, Mass Effect 3, Final Fantasy XIII-2, Final Fantasy Versus XIII, Playstation ViTA

bet with Mordred11 that Rage will look better on Xbox 360.

happydolphin said:
o_O.Q said:

i could have added more but regardless, from what i've seen, vita previews that don't mention how light it is are very rare, but at least you concede you are making assumptions

Fair enough, we do not know which is lighter relative to volume. Since the WiiU barely has anything to hold, I figured it was lighter relative to volume but I have no numbers to back that up. If going by hearsay, then you're right I can't argue on that ground since Vita had that as well. Conceded.

Nonetheless, if neither you nor I know, how would the author of that article know? It's reasonable to assume he held it, but why would he consider it bulky when everyone else said it was light relative to the size it exhibited. Something is wrong. That's the central point anyways, so on this aspect (the author's opinion) I stand my ground. Either he is biased, or he spoke out of his hat (like you and I do, reasonably, we have nothing else. He on the other hand is a journalist). Either way, I dislike it ;)

o_O.Q: i guess you put that there to imply that the vita feels heavy and cannot be held comfortably in both hands?

happyD: Relative to the Wii U Controller, yes.

o_O.Q: that may be right but how did you reach that conclusion? you haven't handled either product and you haven't showed any comparisons on the two from journalists so what is the basis for your conclusion?

In terms of heavy, I conceded that above, I really don't know and the Vita articles discredit my argument, so that's yours.  As for ergonomics, though I have not handled either, from videos I've watched, I can tell you the Wii U controller is much more confortable by the looks of it. But even if we did handle it, you would never concede because comfort is a matter of preference. Since you're that kind of poster (you don't use common sense on these kind of things), I won't argue it with you. With someone who can see the difference between this and this, I'll continue the debate:

Vita

Wii U

happyD: "How is the Vita comparable to the iPad and the Wii U not?"

o_O.Q: its his/her opinion as i said before 

As a journalist, he should have an informed opinion, not just an opinion. If everyone was to just blabber their opinion and put on the "Journalist" tag, then what a shitty industry this would be to follow. Thank heavens for instructive journalism based on facts rather than tastes. Given everything brought up this far, his opinion sucks and is obviously full of bias. I rest my case.

As I've said many times before, there is opinion, and then there is Opinion. Someone with a lousy opinion should be quiet.

In a context where we all look for facts and information, an unfounded opinion is not enough. Stop repeating that "it's his/her opinion" nonsense if you want to be taken seriously.

Last point about this. He is entitled to his opinion, but as a journalist or poster, all opinions need to have a rationale. It's not enough to just say "It's my/his opinion". That is baby talk.

" It's reasonable to assume he held it, but why would he consider it bulky when everyone else said it was light relative to the size it exhibited "

something can be both light and bulky, just like something can be small and also heavy...

the word "bulky" is related to the size of the object in question ( as far as i know ) while "light" refers to the weight and it is for this very reason that your point about other journalists saying its  light imo isn't even relevant to his comment

edit : definition for bulky

"having great volume in proportion to weight"

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/bulky

"Either he is biased, or he spoke out of his hat"

or maybe he's not a drone and can believe something is bulky even when a few other people said otherwise ( which so far you have shown no one did imo )

"Since you're that kind of poster (you don't use common sense on these kind of things)"

lol because i don't agree with you so i don't use common sense and i'm that kind 

"Given everything brought up this far, his opinion sucks and is obviously full of bias"

yeah because he said something unfavourable of the wii u... far be it from anyone to do sych a thing or gaming journalism will crash and burn 

"In a context where we all look for facts and information, an unfounded opinion is not enough. Stop repeating that "it's his/her opinion" nonsense if you want to be taken seriously."

"He is entitled to his opinion, but as a journalist or poster, all opinions need to have a rationale"

so holding and experiencing a product doesn't count? ( assuming he did which is most likely )... how is his comment unfounded? 

o_O.Q said:

happydolphin said:

It's reasonable to assume he held it, but why would he consider it bulky when everyone else said it was light relative to the size it exhibited 

something can be both light and bulky, just like something can be small and also heavy...

the word "bulky" is related to the size of the object in question ( as far as i know ) while "light" refers to the weight and it is for this very reason that your point about other journalists saying its  light imo isn't even relevant to his comment

bulk·y   (blk)

adj. bulk·i·erbulk·i·est
1. Having considerable bulk; massive.
2. Of large size for its weight: a bulky knit.
3. Clumsy to manage; unwieldy.

Is thefreedictionary wrong to consider weight in its definition? Even beyond that, I considered weight given size (or volume), which is 100% in line with the definition. Point 3 relates to ergonomics, which I also discussed.

o_O.Q said:

happydolphin said:

Either he is biased, or he spoke out of his hat

or maybe he's not a drone and can believe something is bulky even when a few other people said otherwise ( which so far you have shown no one did imo )

Or he's an idiot. Given our discussion thus far and the definition of bulky (i.e. given facts) that's exactly what he is. Others have said otherwise, you just needed to be reminded of what bulky meant, that's all, imo.

o_O.Q said:

happydolphin said:

Since you're that kind of poster (you don't use common sense on these kind of things

lol because i don't agree with you so i don't use common sense and i'm that kind 

No, but because you constantly say things in the likes of "That's subjective", "That's preference", or if you like more word for word "That's his opinion". Your tendency to do that makes me doubt your ability to judge for yourself given what you see. So what is your opinion of ergonomics Wii U controller versus Vita given the videos I gave you? You not addressing the actual point shows your lack of commitment to our discussion, and displays your disposition to contention.

o_O.Q said:

happydolphin said:

Given everything brought up this far, his opinion sucks and is obviously full of bias

yeah because he said something unfavourable of the wii u... far be it from anyone to do sych a thing or gaming journalism will crash and burn.

You're terribly deluded. Read what I posted in the past FIFTEEN PAGES (exaggeration, fyi) of this damn thread. Then read bold-italics-underlined (I had to do the 3 due to your reading comprehension lackings), and understand. (You should know what I'm thinking of you right now, if you don't, you're even more exactly that).

I don't mind if something bad is said about the Wii U, I do it myself and other Nintendo fans do the same. I just don't like needless fodder propagated by trolls (the author of the piece).

o_O.Q said:

happydolphin said:

He is entitled to his opinion, but as a journalist or poster, all opinions need to have a rationale

so holding and experiencing a product doesn't count? ( assuming he did which is most likely )... how is his comment unfounded? 

I already explained this to you o_O.Q, open your ears. It is unfounded because he spoke contrary to his experience (assuming he did hold it). We know that's true because of the facts we've gathered this far. Either he lied, or he's biased (same diff), or he just used the wrong word. Maybe he meant "Not Sleek" and instead used "Bulky" as the antonym of "Sleek", in which case this debate revolves around colors and shapes and edges, rather than weight, dimensions and ergonomics.

EDIT: Here is the definition of sleek. 

sleek  (slk)

adj. sleek·er, sleek·est
1. Smooth and lustrous as if polished; glossy: brushed her hair until it was sleek.
2. Well-groomed and neatly tailored.
3. Healthy or well-fed; thriving.
4. Polished or smooth in manner, especially in an unctuous way; slick.

So not only is he an idiot if he meant bulky, but he would even be an idiot if he meant "not sleek" and said bulky instead as an antonym to sleek. Are you sure you want to continue defending his position, I'm not sure that is to your advantage...

So everyone is okay with tablet controllers now?

e=mc^2

Gaming on: PS4 Pro, Switch, SNES Mini, Wii U, PC (i5-7400, GTX 1060)

Around the Network
happydolphin said:
o_O.Q said:

happydolphin said:

It's reasonable to assume he held it, but why would he consider it bulky when everyone else said it was light relative to the size it exhibited 

bulk·y   (blk)

adj. bulk·i·erbulk·i·est

Is thefreedictionary wrong to consider weight in its definition? Even beyond that, I considered weight given size (or volume), which is 100% in line with the definition. Point 3 relates to ergonomics, which I also discussed.

o_O.Q said:

happydolphin said:

Either he is biased, or he spoke out of his hat

Or he's an idiot. Given our discussion thus far and the definition of bulky (i.e. given facts) that's exactly what he is. Others have said otherwise, you just needed to be reminded of what bulky meant, that's all, imo.

o_O.Q said:

happydolphin said:

Since you're that kind of poster (you don't use common sense on these kind of things

No, but because you constantly say things in the likes of "That's subjective", "That's preference", or if you like more word for word "That's his opinion". Your tendency to do that makes me doubt your ability to judge for yourself given what you see. So what is your opinion of ergonomics Wii U controller versus Vita given the videos I gave you? You not addressing the actual point shows your lack of commitment to our discussion, and displays your disposition to contention.

o_O.Q said:

happydolphin said:

Given everything brought up this far, his opinion sucks and is obviously full of bias

yeah because he said something unfavourable of the wii u... far be it from anyone to do sych a thing or gaming journalism will crash and burn.

You're terribly deluded. Read what I posted in the past FIFTEEN PAGES of this damn thread. Then read bold-italics-underlined (I had to do the 3 due to your reading comprehension lackings), and understand. (You should know what I'm thinking of you right now, if you don't, you're even more exactly that).

I don't mind if something bad is said about the Wii U, I do it myself and other Nintendo fans do the same. I just don't like needless fodder propagated by trolls (the author of the piece).

o_O.Q said:

happydolphin said:

He is entitled to his opinion, but as a journalist or poster, all opinions need to have a rationale

I already explained this to you o_O.Q, open your ears. It is unfounded because he spoke contrary to his experience (assuming he did hold it). We know that's true because of the facts we've gathered this far. Either he lied, or he's biased (same diff), or he just used the wrong word. Maybe he meant "Not Sleek" rather than using "Bulky" as the antonym of "Sleek", in which case this debate revolves around colors and shapes and edges, rather than weight, dimensions and ergonomics.

" Is thefreedictionary wrong to consider weight in its definition?"

it doesn't it clearly refers to size

meaning that your comprisons with other impressions about it being light may actually reinforce his comment on it being bulky

"Others have said otherwise"

you mean those who spoke of it being light? that in no way counters his comment on it being bulky the more logical conclusoin is that it is

"Of large size for its weight"

"So what is your opinion of ergonomics Wii U controller versus Vita given the videos I gave you?"

how can i be expected to comment on the ergonomics of devices i've never held? i didn't respond because i couldn't believe you would ask something like that

"We know that's true because of the facts we've gathered this far. Either he lied, or he's biased (same diff), or he just used the wrong word."

or maybe his only point was that it is "Of large size for its weight" or in otherwords "bulky" 

the other reports of it being at a weight that would be expected of a smaller device corroborates this

o_O.Q said:

happydolphin said:

Is thefreedictionary wrong to consider weight in its definition?

From thefreedictionary.com: 2. Of large size for its weight: a bulky knit.

Sorry, I thought I posted that before... I bold-italics-underlined it for you just in case, hope that helps. I understand now, you have some kind of visual impairment. Why didn't you tell me sooner?

Anyways, I'll do my best to stay clear despite your disability, but just remember I'm not a self-giving charity and value my time.

1. Having considerable bulk; massive.

2. Of large size for its weight: a bulky knit.

3. Clumsy to manage; unwieldy.

o_O.Q said:

meaning that your comprisons with other impressions about it being light may actually reinforce his comment on it being bulky

It's comparisons. Also, the first character of a new sentence is capitalized.

@italics. They may, but they don't.

Since the ipad and the Wii U controller both sport very similar width-height dimensions, the smaller the weight, the less bulky, since bulky refers to it being too large for its application. For instance, if the ipad were lighter for the same application, would you consider it bulkier? No you would not, because bulky doesn't apply when an application requires a given dimension.

A bike made of composite is considered bulkier than a bike made of steel? I'm sorry, it is not. Bulky is valid only in a context where the application does not dictate size. In this case, Application does dictate size, so the lighter, the better. It can't be said it's more bulky because it's lighter, in this specific context.

o_O.Q said:

happydolphin said: "Others have said otherwise"

you mean those who spoke of it being light? that in no way counters his comment on it being bulky the more logical conclusoin is that it is

Again, wrong see above. It wouldn't be considered bulky in a context where a given size is required. Making it lighter is a benefit more than anything and cannot be considered bulkier for that matter.

o_O.Q said:

happydolphin said: So what is your opinion of ergonomics Wii U controller versus Vita given the videos I gave you?

how can i be expected to comment on the ergonomics of devices i've never held? i didn't respond because i couldn't believe you would ask something like that

If you used your brain and your eyes, you would be able to judge. This is exacty what I expected from you.

EDIT: Oh, damn. Sorry... I forgot about your visual impairment. Forgive my indecency.

o_O.Q said:

happydolphin said:

We know that's true because of the facts we've gathered this far. Either he lied, or he's biased (same diff), or he just used the wrong word.

or maybe his only point was that it is "Of large size for its weight" or in otherwords "bulky" 

the other reports of it being at a weight that would be expected of a smaller device corroborates this

No, it corroborates to your lack of logic and his lack of intelligence. See my first quote-box above.

happydolphin said:

o_O.Q said:

happydolphin said:

Is thefreedictionary wrong to consider weight in its definition?

From thefreedictionary.com: 2. Of large size for its weight: a bulky knit.

Sorry, I thought I posted that before... I bold-italics-underlined it for you just in case, hope that helps. I understand now, you have some kind of visual impairment. Why didn't you tell me sooner?

Anyways, I'll do my best to stay clear despite your disability, but just remember I'm not a fucking charity and value my time.

1. Having considerable bulk; massive.

2. Of large size for its weight: a bulky knit.

3. Clumsy to manage; unwieldy.

o_O.Q said:

It's comparisons. Also, the first character of a new sentence is capitalized.

@italics. They may, but they don't.

Since the ipad and the Wii U controller both sport very similar width-height dimensions, the smaller the weight, the less bulky, since bulky refers to it being too large for its application. For instance, if the ipad were lighter for the same application, would you consider it bulkier? No you would not, because bulky doesn't apply when an application requires a given dimension.

A bike made of composite is considered bulkier than a bike made of steel? I'm sorry, it is not. Bulky is valid only in a context where the application does not dictate size. In this case, Application does dictate size, so the lighter, the better. It can't be said it's more bulky because it's lighter, in this specific context.

o_O.Q said:

happydolphin said: "Others have said otherwise"

Again, wrong see above. It wouldn't be considered bulky in a context where a given size is required. Making it lighter is a benefit more than anything and cannot be considered bulkier for that matter.

o_O.Q said:

happydolphin said: So what is your opinion of ergonomics Wii U controller versus Vita given the videos I gave you?

If you used your brain and your eyes, you would be able to judge. This is exacty what I expected from you.

EDIT: Oh, damn. Sorry... I forgot about your visual impairment. Forgive my indecency.

o_O.Q said:

happydolphin said:

We know that's true because of the facts we've gathered this far. Either he lied, or he's biased (same diff), or he just used the wrong word.

No, it corroborates to your lack of logic and his lack of intelligence. See my first quote-box above.

"Sorry, I thought I posted that before... I bold-italics-underlined it for you just in case, hope that helps. I understand now, you have some kind of visual impairment. Why didn't you tell me sooner?"

does this mean you disagree with the defintion?

"Since the ipad and the Wii U controller both sport very similar width-height dimensions"

yeah they do but the wii u is without a doubt much thicker than the ipad so assuming their weights are similar 

( impressions of the wii u controller have been without the battery so far so it may be heavier )

the wii u is without a doubt bulkier as it has a larger volume for its weight

"A bike made of composite is considered bulkier than a bike made of steel? "

actually according to the definition yes... if indeed composite is a denser material and therefore heavier for the same volume edit ( i actually mean't less dense and lighter ) 

"Making it lighter is a benefit more than anything and cannot be considered bulkier for that matter"

absolutely wrong, from your point its clear that you make the assumption that being bulky is a disavantage in any situation 

which is not true, being bulky can vary from being an advantage to being a disavantage given the right situation

Are we perchance heading towards the second great videogames crisis? Which outsider will emerge as a winner from the old competitors' ashes? After the first crisis it was Nintendo, who'll be next? Will PC receive a great boost too again, like it happened to home and personal computer gaming after the first great crisis and, in a less dramatic way, after every successive smaller crisis or during the naturally declining parts of the curves of console lives?

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Alby_da_Wolf said:
Are we perchance heading towards the second great videogames crisis? Which outsider will emerge as a winner from the old competitors' ashes? After the first crisis it was Nintendo, who'll be next? Will PC receive a great boost too again, like it happened to home and personal computer gaming after the first great crisis and, in a less dramatic way, after every successive smaller crisis or during the naturally declining parts of the curves of console lives?

Honestly, the market I think is most likely headed for a crisis is not the home console market; although three almost idnetical systems could lead to one being pushed (almost) out of the market.

The market that I think is most likely headed for a crisis in the near future is the phone-games/apps market. The vast majority of these products are amazingly unsuccessful due to poorly defined and unrealistic business plans, and the companies that produce them only exist because of wealthy speculators funding them under the belief that they will own a major part of the next "facebook" or "Electronic Arts" ... In 5 years time the only companies that will be standing are the ones that are profitable, or at least have a reasonable business plan to become profitable, leaving the vast majority of these companies to disappear.