By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Are these the system sellers of 2008?

Ill say it again, what about the peter jackson halo project? Halo wars is a different game in case anyone is confused.

Around the Network

PS3

Killzone2 maybe
GTA4 yes
Metal Gear Solid 4 yes
Final Fantasy XIII does it lauch this year?
Singstar mostly a system seller in europe
Little Big Planet possibly
Gran Tourismo 5 yes
Tekken 6 a little
Home depends

GTA4 with exclusive content yes
HALO Wars depends
Splinter Cell: Conviction yes
Too Human maybe
Fable 2 yes
Alan Wake maybe
Left 4 Dead not to much of a system seller
Wii

Super Smash Bros yes
Mario Kart yes
WiiFit yes

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

dabaus513 said:
Ill say it again, what about the peter jackson halo project? Halo wars is a different game in case anyone is confused.

well if that halo project is a FPS then i doubt it will be a system seller halo3 already covered that

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

Funny how people think so many games are system sellers only to have them flop.

System sellers people predicted for 2006:

PS3

LAIR - ROFL
Motorstorm - As a pack in...
Ratchet & Clank - lol yeah that worked out great
Uncharted - see Ratchet & Clank
Warhawk - see Ratchet & Clank
Assassin's Creed - Ended up multiplat
GTAIV - Ended up multiplat and lost exclusive content and pushed to 2008
Virtua Fighter 5 - Flopped, then lost exclusivity to a superior version

Halo 3 - came true
Blue Dragon - FAILED
Forza 2 - Did much better as a packin... never boosted hardware
Project Gotham Racing 4 - bombed hard
Virtua Fighter 5 w/ online - flopped even harder
GTAIV - delayed to 08
GRAW2 - sold well, but didn't move any hardware
Mass Effect - sold well, but didn't move any hardware
Bioshock - sold well, but didn't move any hardware

Wii

Super Mario Galaxy - came true
Super Smash Bros. Brawl - pushed to 08
Metroid Prime 3 - sold well, but didn't move any hardware

And look what happened in 2007.  Even with only 2 of the hyped "big 3" released, and only one of them selling any real hardware, the Wii obliterated the other 2 systems.  Most of whom's hyped system sellers turned out to be not-so-much system sellers.  Conclusion?  Your list is utter bullshit and it doesn't matter what you predict will be system sellers, because most of those games won't move any hardware at all and many of those games will flop or not even be released next year.  

All of these games will sell a few systems, but not many will sell the numbers necessary to really affect a system's fate. A true system seller does not need to rely on other supporting titles to sell consoles. Twilight Princess was Wii's seller at launch, followed by Wii Sports (for the casuals) once word spread and perhaps eventually Super Mario Galaxy. Gears of War was 360's title followed by Halo 3. I don't think the Playstation 3 has had any true system sellers yet, but only a collection of titles which jointly influenced sales. Whether a title becomes a true system seller depends heavily on the amount of advertising to build massive hype. Currently MGS4, WiiFit, Smash Bros, FFXIII (in 2009), and possibly Fable 2 are set to be system sellers. Little Big Planet could be very influential, and several of Microsofts other titles could become hyped into stardom, but the other titles will mostly just serve to strengthen their respective systems lineup. GTA4 would be a system seller if it were exclusive, but while it will sell well on the 360 is unlikely to move systems either way.

Around the Network

Everyone in this thread should read what naznatips wrote. Because that's basically the long and short of it.

I do see a trend here, though. People hype loads of PS3/360 games as system sellers; none of them are. People hype a select few Wii games as system sellers; most of them are.

Perhaps it's the "Screenshot/Trailer Effect," whereby the graphics and potential manage to wow everybody, but the game as a whole doesn't deliver?

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

ssj12 said:
misterd said:

Lot's of fans toss the term around, but really there have been very few system sellers. This gen, I can definitively pinpoint just 2 - WiiSports and Halo3. But 2008 is shaping up to be the biggest year in this generation, possibly deciding the final winners and losers before the year is out, so there is a lot riding on these titles. So which, if any, of these will have the ability to sell systems on their own strength?

PS3

• Killzone2
  • GTA4
  • Metal Gear Solid 4
  • Final Fantasy XIII (?)
  • Singstar
  • Little Big Planet
  • Gran Tourismo 5: Prologue
  • Tekken 6
  • White Knight Story
  • Motorstorm 2
  • Resistance 2
  • 2 Days 2 Vegas (?)

• GTA4 with exclusive content
  • HALO Wars
  • Splinter Cell: Conviction
  • Too Human
  • Fable 2
  • Alan Wake
  • Left 4 Dead
  • 2 Days 2 Vegas (?)
  • Unreal Tournament 3

Wii

• Super Smash Bros
  • Mario Kart
  • WiiFit
  • Wii Music
  • Wii Chess

Hmm... Wii's looking a little thin...

I added a few more to the list (bolded), I removed HOME as its both a game and social network, and its free. I also put a (?) behind FFXIII as its unknown if it will make it in 2008.

Do you really think Wii Chess will be that big?  It's a given that it will sell since it's a Wii <insert name> game but I don't think it's going to do anything amazing.

twesterm said:
ssj12 said:
misterd said:

Lot's of fans toss the term around, but really there have been very few system sellers. This gen, I can definitively pinpoint just 2 - WiiSports and Halo3. But 2008 is shaping up to be the biggest year in this generation, possibly deciding the final winners and losers before the year is out, so there is a lot riding on these titles. So which, if any, of these will have the ability to sell systems on their own strength?

PS3

• Killzone2
  • GTA4
  • Metal Gear Solid 4
  • Final Fantasy XIII (?)
  • Singstar
  • Little Big Planet
  • Gran Tourismo 5: Prologue
  • Tekken 6
  • White Knight Story
  • Motorstorm 2
  • Resistance 2
  • 2 Days 2 Vegas (?)

• GTA4 with exclusive content
  • HALO Wars
  • Splinter Cell: Conviction
  • Too Human
  • Fable 2
  • Alan Wake
  • Left 4 Dead
  • 2 Days 2 Vegas (?)
  • Unreal Tournament 3

Wii

• Super Smash Bros
  • Mario Kart
  • WiiFit
  • Wii Music
  • Wii Chess

Hmm... Wii's looking a little thin...

I added a few more to the list (bolded), I removed HOME as its both a game and social network, and its free. I also put a (?) behind FFXIII as its unknown if it will make it in 2008.

Do you really think Wii Chess will be that big? It's a given that it will sell since it's a Wii game but I don't think it's going to do anything amazing.

Normal people love chess. Normal people love the Wii. It's a perfect fit, anyway. :)

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

i stickied this thread, this will now be the official 2008 games thread. Problems deal with it.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

@Naznatips

I congratulate you on making the salient point about the Wii. The console sells regardless of what games are actually on it. You could remove every single million copy selling game from the consoles library, and sales wouldn't even bat an eye. This is perhaps the first generation I have ever seen where a consoles library is utterly irrelevant as to whether it is purchased or not.

Nintendo markets the machine, or more specifically the gimmick. That is what is selling this console it has nothing to do with the games. The console has no need of system selling titles, and the effectiveness of one would be incredibly hard to judge. Personally I find it all quite depressing. Not that Nintendo is winning, but that it is winning for the wrong reasons.

Their marketing has been so effective that their console is hardly judged on its merits people merely buy it, because it looks cool or fun. I have literally heard this from people in real life verbatim. The marketing department for Nintendo is simply fantastic. I think they could sell anything to anybody at this point. Anyway the point wasn't to go off on a tirade.

Your right all Nintendo has to do is keep doing what they are doing. They need no system sellers, and it would be hard to spot one. All they need to do is keep running those commercials with the family going nuts with the Wii mote. Unless the novelty wears off or thin. I still think it will eventually, and god help us when that happens. I can see shades of Atari in the eighties. Actually feels eerily similar. One day everyone was playing, and then the next nobody wanted to play anymore.