By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Are these the system sellers of 2008?

Im still going to see if the wii will make amazing sell outs from now on.

mM
Around the Network
leo-j said:
Im still going to see if the wii will make amazing sell outs from now on.

It's not going to sell out everywhere 100% of the time, but it doesn't have to sellout to have good sales. (see DS)

Official member of the Sonic Support Squad!

Bet with OriGin: Within 1 year Super Smash Bros. Brawl will be ahead of Mario Kart Wii (when aligning the one whole year from each region). 2 week ban from Vgchartz for the loser. Edit: Darn! Looks like OriGin will win.

leo-j said:
No its true, the ps3 was outselling the wii until wii fit.

That's not entirely true. PS3 outsold Wii from november 12th to november 26th. That was TWO weeks. After that, Wii took the lead again, and Wii Fit was not released until 8 days later. The reason PS3 outsold Wii was the price drop and the new SKU anyway, so it had nothing to do with Wii Fit ór constant demand for PS3 in Japan.

FFS HALO WARS WILL NOT SELL SYSTEMS , RTS's on consoles have like a 95% fail rate.

I dare anyone to name 5 RTS games on any 5 consoles that have sold at least a million ( excluding PC mind you)

Maybe the name "Halo" will push a few units but no one likes RTS's on consoles, cmon...

Killzone 2 will appeal to hardcore shooter fans, which is by far the most crowded genre at the moment, and we don't even know if it'll be any good. Same with Haze actually.

Tekken sales have been going down the crapper over the years, and 6 doesn't look like it'll change anything.

FF13 is 2009 in Japan, maybe even 2010 for Europe.

The people who would bought Singstar last gen aren't going to touch a 400€ console.

Little Big Planet is a perfect text-book example of an innovative niche game that gets rated extremely high, but fails to sell well. We should all be able to recognise the type by now.

I'll give you MGS4 and GT5 as definite PS3 sellers. GTA4 will probably boost both consoles by a lot. Home will probably be cool, but hardly the kind of thing you buy a console for.

As for the 360, I don't see Halo Wars making anyone buy the console who hasn't done so for Halo 3 already. It'll probably sell well due to the high amount of Halo fans, but I don't see it doing anything to hardware sales.

The first Splinter Cell was great, but sales of the franchise have been declining so much that I don't see it moving much hardware.

We know too little about Too Human to say much about it, but it doesn't look like a system seller to me.

Fable 2 is made by Molyneux, but probably going to sell well regardless. I try to be as positive as I can towards European-made games, but everything he's done since Magic Carpet and Theme Park has been a disappointment to me.

Alan Wake is clearly going to be a well reviewed, but badly selling niche game. Since when have psychological thrillers moved lots of software, let alone hardware?

Left 4 Dead looks very promising, but a system seller? Read up on what the term means.

Brawl, Mario Kart and Wii Fit are definite system sellers for the first half of the year. The second half is pretty empty at the moment, but that's obviously because Nintendo hasn't announced pretty much anything for the period yet.

So basically I think OP's list is pretty bad. Lots of good games, but good games don't necessarily sell a lot of copies, let alone consoles.

Around the Network

I'm not convinced individual games are responsible for selling huge numbers of consoles.
The range, quantity and price of games on a console is surely a far far bigger selling point.

Even if GTA4 sells as well on PS3 as the best selling GTA game on PS2 and everyone who buys GTA4 also buys a PS3 at the same time, that's still only 15 million new consoles sold.

llewdebkram said:
I'm not convinced individual games are responsible for selling huge numbers of consoles.
The range, quantity and price of games on a console is surely a far far bigger selling point.

Even if GTA4 sells as well on PS3 as the best selling GTA game on PS2 and everyone who buys GTA4 also buys a PS3 at the same time, that's still only 15 million new consoles sold.

.. what? I know you're being hypothetical here, but your logic is being elusive to say the least.

PS3

* Killzone2 (no, first one was a shocker)
* GTA4 (Yes)
* Metal Gear Solid 4 (Not as many as people think)
* Final Fantasy XIII (wont hit in 2008)
* Singstar (no, flopped in Europe, to expensive for casuals yet)
* Little Big Planet (no)
* Gran Tourismo 5 (Yes)
* Tekken 6 (In Japan, smaller effect in the West)
* Home (No)

* GTA4 with exclusive content (Yes, perhaps more than PS3 if well advertised)
* HALO Wars (Yes, not as much as some believe though)
* Splinter Cell: Conviction (No)
* Too Human (unlikely)
* Fable 2 (Yes)
* Alan Wake (No, it will probably deserve to though)
* Left 4 Dead (No)
* Banjo Kazooie 3 (Yes)
* Ninja Gaiden 2 (Maybe)
Wii

* Super Smash Bros (Mother of God)
* Mario Kart (not as many as people think)
* WiiFit (Yes in the West, but not like it shifted consoles in Japan)

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Legend11 said:
HappySqurriel said:

I have argued time and time again that there are no such things as "System Sellers" because even the largest series only have a minor impact in immediate and long term system sales; most of the impact in sales will have already been factored into current sales.

There are also many games that have been listed for the PS3 and XBox 360 which will not sell 1 Million units; my predictions for these games would be Killzone 2, Little Big Planet, Tekken 6, Singstar, Halo Wars, Too Human, Alan Wake, and Left 4 Dead.

It's a cumulative thing.   Maybe one of those games alone might not be able to sell systems but when people start seeing 2 or 3 or however many games appeal to them on a console they don't own it obviously has an impact on the chances of them eventually buying one (especially with price drops).

As for the games you mentioned that you don't think will sell a million, I think Killzone 2, Halo Wars, Too Human, Alan Wake, and Left 4 Dead will.

In general, I agree. However there are games, rare though they are, that DO move consoles. Super Mario Bros moved the original NES. Mario 64 did it for the N64. GTA3 did it for the PS2. Halo 3 certainly sold some 360s. That's why I specificed "on its own" in the first thread.

Honestly, the only one on that list that I truly expect to sell systems on its own merits is GTA4. That will encourage many of the franchises fans who have been holding off to make the switch. I'd have tossed in WiiFit and Smash Bros and Mario Kart, but again, the system is selling as is. Unless sales dry up in the next couple of months, it'll be impossible to measure any increase in demand generated from them.

misterd said:

Lot's of fans toss the term around, but really there have been very few system sellers. This gen, I can definitively pinpoint just 2 - WiiSports and Halo3. But 2008 is shaping up to be the biggest year in this generation, possibly deciding the final winners and losers before the year is out, so there is a lot riding on these titles. So which, if any, of these will have the ability to sell systems on their own strength?

PS3

• Killzone2
  • GTA4
  • Metal Gear Solid 4
  • Final Fantasy XIII (?)
  • Singstar
  • Little Big Planet
  • Gran Tourismo 5: Prologue
  • Tekken 6
  • White Knight Story
  • Motorstorm 2
  • Resistance 2
  • 2 Days 2 Vegas (?)

• GTA4 with exclusive content
  • HALO Wars 
  • Splinter Cell: Conviction
  • Too Human
  • Fable 2
  • Alan Wake
  • Left 4 Dead
  • 2 Days 2 Vegas (?)
  • Unreal Tournament 3

Wii

• Super Smash Bros
  • Mario Kart
  • WiiFit
  • Wii Music
  • Wii Chess

Hmm... Wii's looking a little thin...

I added a few more to the list (bolded), I removed HOME as its both a game and social network, and its free. I also put a (?) behind FFXIII as its unknown if it will make it in 2008. 

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453