By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Are these the system sellers of 2008?

• Killzone2
  • GTA4
  • Metal Gear Solid 4
  • Final Fantasy XIII
  • Singstar
  • Little Big Planet
  • Gran Tourismo 5
  • Home

• GTA4 with exclusive content
  • HALO Wars 
  • Splinter Cell: Conviction
  • Too Human
  • Fable 2
  • Alan Wake
  • Left 4 Dead

Wii

• Super Smash Bros
  • Mario Kart
  • Wii

Hmm... Wii's looking a little thin...

THe oNLY TRue STuPiDiTY iS THe aCCePTaNCe oF iGNoRaNCe 

PSNTAG K_I_N_G__COKE

The King Of The Iron Fist tournament

Around the Network
carlos710 said:

What makes you think that so many unproven franchises are system sellers ? just because fanboys in forums hype them to death?

The only real system sellers in 08:

GTA 4, Gran turismo 5,  MGS 4, Mario Kart, Smash bros brawl, Wii Fit, and may be Halo wars.

FF 13 is not coming out this year. 

i agree with your list. 

misterd said:
PS3
  • Killzone2
Yes, it will certainly drive sales mainly in the US, especially with the mass hype and a huge ad campaign
  • GTA4
Yes, it is PS franchise historically, and many of the people who bought a PS2 for it may simply upgrade straight to PS3 (I know someone who already has).
  • Metal Gear Solid 4
Yes, it is so hyped it will sell well, although there will very likely be a mass ad campaign and bundles to drive sales even more
  • Final Fantasy XIII
No, because it won't come out this year. Of course it will send Japan sales through the roof when it comes out, and will do well eslewhere
  • Singstar
No, already out in Europe and has performed poorly. However, in the long run, it could do well
  • Little Big Planet
A bit, although I think it will be accompanied by a price drop. I think we need to see what the actual game comprises of, rather than just seeing people play through levels
  • Gran Tourismo 5
Yes, it will sell extremely well in Europe, and well elsewhere, it will drive sales for a while after launch when it eventually comes out
  • Home

No, it is not a game, it is a free bit of software, but I think it will be an incentive

I won't bother with Wii or 360 because I don't know much about those exclusives

the others to consider are: Haze (a bit), DMC 4 (a bit), White Knight Story (mostly in Japan), Last Remnant (Japan), Timesplitters 4 (US/EU), Resistance 2 (US/EU), Motorstorm 2 (Europe, but the US will get a boost too)

leo-j said:
Wii fit is the last category just forgot to add the fit to wii.

Fixed.

The Wii may be looking thin for 2008, but I suspect that Ninty are holding a few surprises up their sleeves. They don't really need to unveil all their hits given the comfortable position they're in. Lets wait and see.

I think Wii fit has huge potential for 2008. Casuals will go crazy for it. It'll have huge legs like some other Nintendo casual titles - Wii Sports, Nintendogs etc. I predict it will be the best selling game on any one console in 2008, however the combined total of GTA4 on both HD consoles may surpass it.

Around the Network

Wii sports has been the biggest system seller this gen, so keep an eye on Wii MotorSports/Wii Music too.

And Animal Crossing will sell more than most games listed on this thread so far.

carlos710 - Capitán Primero: Nintendo Defense Force

"Wii are legion, for Wii are many"

carlos710 said:
Wii sports has been the biggest system seller this gen, so keep an eye on Wii MotorSports/Wii Music too.

And Animal Crossing will sell more than most games listed on this thread so far.

Not really, it is effectively part of the system itself as opposed to outside, freestanding software.

Munkeh111 said:
misterd said:
PS3
  • Killzone2
Yes, it will certainly drive sales mainly in the US, especially with the mass hype and a huge ad campaign
  • GTA4
Yes, it is PS franchise historically, and many of the people who bought a PS2 for it may simply upgrade straight to PS3 (I know someone who already has).
  • Metal Gear Solid 4
Yes, it is so hyped it will sell well, although there will very likely be a mass ad campaign and bundles to drive sales even more
  • Final Fantasy XIII
No, because it won't come out this year. Of course it will send Japan sales through the roof when it comes out, and will do well eslewhere
  • Singstar
No, already out in Europe and has performed poorly. However, in the long run, it could do well
  • Little Big Planet
A bit, although I think it will be accompanied by a price drop. I think we need to see what the actual game comprises of, rather than just seeing people play through levels
  • Gran Tourismo 5
Yes, it will sell extremely well in Europe, and well elsewhere, it will drive sales for a while after launch when it eventually comes out
  • Home

No, it is not a game, it is a free bit of software, but I think it will be an incentive

I won't bother with Wii or 360 because I don't know much about those exclusives

the others to consider are: Haze (a bit), DMC 4 (a bit), White Knight Story (mostly in Japan), Last Remnant (Japan), Timesplitters 4 (US/EU), Resistance 2 (US/EU), Motorstorm 2 (Europe, but the US will get a boost too)

I've never seen you make this much sense, +1 for Munkeh!

carlos710 said:

What makes you think that so many unproven franchises are system sellers ? just because fanboys in forums hype them to death?

The only real system sellers in 08:

GTA 4, Gran turismo 5,  MGS 4, Mario Kart, Smash bros brawl, Wii Fit, and may be Halo wars.

FF 13 is not coming out this year. 

I don't necessarily think them system sellers. They seem to be ones that come up frequently, so I wanted the discussion focused on them (and, save for GTA4, I wanted to focus on console exclusives) so that these beliefs could be given some scrutiny.

And as far as I can tell FF13 is still scheduled for this year, even though I question if it will make it.

what about Tekken 6 ? Tekken is a huge franchise as far as I know and should definately be able to do something (although I don't like the games .. I'm more of a VF and SC player)