By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - Capello quits as England manager!

To me (an outsider to football) the problem is always that England's players are too high paid by their current clubs to practice seriously as a team outside of the matches. So it looks like 11 teams of 1 player trying to score by themselves.

That's not a management problem. That's an FA problem, if they want an England win seriously they need to prioritise that over Premiership matches for a short time.

Around the Network
Team A Ch RU GP W D L GS PK GG GA OG C EX
1.  Brazil 19 5 2 97 69 12 16 210 8 0 88 0 83 11
2.  Italy 17 4 2 80 45 17 18 126 8 0 74 1 84 7
3.  Argentina 15 2 2 70 40 9 21 123 8 0 80 1 99 10
4.  Fed. Rep. of Ger. 10 3 3 62 39 11 12 131 9 0 77 1 37 3
5.  England 13 1 0 59 26 16 17 77 8 0 52 1 47 3
6.  Spain 13 1 0 56 29 9 18 88 14 0 59 1 57 0
7.  France 13 1 1 54 27 7 20 96 9 1 68 0 52 6
8.  Mexico 14 0 0 49 12 11 26 52 9 0 89 2 58 6
9.  Uruguay 11 2 0 47 19 11 17 76 3 0 65 1 52 8
10.  Sweden 11 0 1 46 17 12 17 74 4 0 69 0 40 3

world cup games played,england do fine by me,we are not the best team by a long way but only idots say we are,its jsut good to be involved,8 out of the top 10 have won the wc

edit mm the germans are level with brasil this table must be splitting something up and the dutch 3 finals with less games than sweden,amazing really for the size of population

Above & Beyond

P W D L CS FtS F A GD Pt PPG
1 Germany 120 75 29 16 55 25 247 85 +162 254 2.12
2 Holland 125 79 22 24 64 18 263 97 +166 259 2.07
3 Croatia 54 33 13 8 29 12 96 41 +55 112 2.07
4 Spain 130 80 25 25 55 19 282 111 +171 265 2.04
5 Czech Republic 124 76 24 24 57 17 243 102 +141 252 2.03
6 England 108 60 29 19 60 20 211 79 +132 209 1.94
7 France 124 70 30 24 49 27 243 116 +127 240 1.94
8 Russia 131 74 30 27 59 30 234 116 +118 252 1.92
9 Italy 119 63 38 18 63 28 188 82 +106 227 1.91
10 Portugal 116 62 27 27 49 21 200 111 +89 213 1.84

and for the dutch,the euros i can't get it by games played this is ppg

the germans are top dogs in world footbal if you ask me,and yes i know england have never won the euros the cechs have,not portugal or croatia but the others have

Above & Beyond

zuvuyeay said:
kennyrester said:
All that said I do think 'Arry is a pretty decent manager and he'll probably do as well as anyone i.e. get knocked out by the first good team they play.

I just think the "Tactics? Fuck off back to Europe" attitude of the fans and media holds back the England team. Which, being Irish, is fine by me.

who is saying tactics fuck off,in such a horrible way,we've italian tactic for 12 years without a semi final

i'm not saying our way is the best at all,we are not,and why are you so angry,you are not even english

bobby robson got us to the semis in 90 he is english,do you think he is shit like mclaren

i don;t understand why you are portraying us so one dimensional,iliked sven he got us to the qurter finals,we lsot to brasil in searing humidity with danny mills and trevor sinclair playing and were undone by a freak ronaldhino freekick

what exactly is your problem,are you looking for perfection or what,after capello i'd like to be able to understand a sentence the english manager is saying

what about argentina,holland,portugal,france are their so superior tactics winning them world cups every touranment

so what if we get knocked out by good teams,it happens to everyone except the winner,

i don't mind hiddink or mourinho if he wanted but i don't mind giving an englisman the chance to manage his own country either

Jesus, I don't know where to start. You're really putting words in my mouth here. OK, taking your points one by one:

Although you didn't use the F word, as that seems to offend you you said "We don't need tactics", so that's where that come from. I'm not angry, what gave you that impression? As I said, I'm pleased by the situation. I just have an opinion despite being "not even English". Is that okay?

Italia ninety was 22 years ago, football has changed dramatically since then. I didn't say McLaren was shit because he was English, I was trying to point out that he was chosen because he's English, as a cure for Sven's regime and I don't think that's the way to choose a manager, but it looks as though that might be the reasoning behind it this time.

You are portraying England as one dimensional by saying tactics aren't needed, which is, I think, a ridiculous statement, that's the main point I was making. That and that the FA needs to change the fundamentals of football in England id they want to make a real difference, not just change the manager. You brought Sven into it, implying he was useless by saying "tell me about capello tactics in south africa,i'm all ears or svens"

What is my problem? Perfection? I don't get this sentence at all.I think you're totally misunderstanding me actually. As i said, I think Harry's ok, I don't have a problem with English managers, I just think the "we don't need tactics" mentality is a stupid one that damages England's chances. 

Of course not every major team does well in every tournament, but none of them (now that Spain have got their act together) have as bad a history as England since 1966.

My point about getting knocked out by good teams was that England tend to muddle through the relatively easy group and early knockout stages until they meet a good team. They never seem to beat good teams when it matters and have become a quarter final team, which given their resources really shouldn't be good enough.

Again, I didn't say I had a problem with English managers, jsut the idea that playing the English way shouldn't involve tactics. but your choice of Hiddink and particularly Mourinho here really flys in the face of your statments about not needing tactics and "we should be about scoring more goals than them".

kennyrester said:
zuvuyeay said:
kennyrester said:
All that said I do think 'Arry is a pretty decent manager and he'll probably do as well as anyone i.e. get knocked out by the first good team they play.

I just think the "Tactics? Fuck off back to Europe" attitude of the fans and media holds back the England team. Which, being Irish, is fine by me.

who is saying tactics fuck off,in such a horrible way,we've italian tactic for 12 years without a semi final

i'm not saying our way is the best at all,we are not,and why are you so angry,you are not even english

bobby robson got us to the semis in 90 he is english,do you think he is shit like mclaren

i don;t understand why you are portraying us so one dimensional,iliked sven he got us to the qurter finals,we lsot to brasil in searing humidity with danny mills and trevor sinclair playing and were undone by a freak ronaldhino freekick

what exactly is your problem,are you looking for perfection or what,after capello i'd like to be able to understand a sentence the english manager is saying

what about argentina,holland,portugal,france are their so superior tactics winning them world cups every touranment

so what if we get knocked out by good teams,it happens to everyone except the winner,

i don't mind hiddink or mourinho if he wanted but i don't mind giving an englisman the chance to manage his own country either

Jesus, I don't know where to start. You're really putting words in my mouth here. OK, taking your points one by one:

Although you didn't use the F word, as that seems to offend you you said "We don't need tactics", so that's where that come from. I'm not angry, what gave you that impression? As I said, I'm pleased by the situation. I just have an opinion despite being "not even English". Is that okay?

Italia ninety was 22 years ago, football has changed dramatically since then. I didn't say McLaren was shit because he was English, I was trying to point out that he was chosen because he's English, as a cure for Sven's regime and I don't think that's the way to choose a manager, but it looks as though that might be the reasoning behind it this time.

You are portraying England as one dimensional by saying tactics aren't needed, which is, I think, a ridiculous statement, that's the main point I was making. That and that the FA needs to change the fundamentals of football in England id they want to make a real difference, not just change the manager. You brought Sven into it, implying he was useless by saying "tell me about capello tactics in south africa,i'm all ears or svens"

What is my problem? Perfection? I don't get this sentence at all.I think you're totally misunderstanding me actually. As i said, I think Harry's ok, I don't have a problem with English managers, I just think the "we don't need tactics" mentality is a stupid one that damages England's chances. 

Of course not every major team does well in every tournament, but none of them (now that Spain have got their act together) have as bad a history as England since 1966.

My point about getting knocked out by good teams was that England tend to muddle through the relatively easy group and early knockout stages until they meet a good team. They never seem to beat good teams when it matters and have become a quarter final team, which given their resources really shouldn't be good enough.

Again, I didn't say I had a problem with English managers, jsut the idea that playing the English way shouldn't involve tactics. but your choice of Hiddink and particularly Mourinho here really flys in the face of your statments about not needing tactics and "we should be about scoring more goals than them".

so what actually is your point,i don't understand

i've watched every football tournament since 1982.,i've watched alot of football,i said we don't need tactics as a bit of fun,of course you need tactics in set plays and marking and shape,does it have to be all or nothing with what i say,i think you have misunderstood me aswell,what are you actually saying about england and her footaball i don't understand

i want to  watch england play in world cups and euros enjoying themselves you only get 3/4 games a tournament so lets play in an english style that i enjoy

again what are you actually trying to tell me about england,her players and her record please tell me so i can understand,what is it that you don't like as i enjoy watching england play in major tournamnets around the world

Above & Beyond

Around the Network
zuvuyeay said:
kennyrester said:
zuvuyeay said:
kennyrester said:

so what actually is your point,i don't understand

i've watched every football tournament since 1982.,i've watched alot of football,i said we don't need tactics as a bit of fun,of course you need tactics in set plays and marking and shape,does it have to be all or nothing with what i say,i think you have misunderstood me aswell,what are you actually saying about england and her footaball i don't understand

i want to  watch england play in world cups and euros enjoying themselves you only get 3/4 games a tournament so lets play in an english style that i enjoy

again what are you actually trying to tell me about england,her players and her record please tell me so i can understand,what is it that you don't like as i enjoy watching england play in major tournamnets around the world

I don't like watching England because they're boring, but that wasn't my point. 

My point was that while I understand that you were exaggerating when you said no tactics are needed, the idea that a tactician isn't needed and all england need is o get someone in to motivate the team to go out and try their socks off and score more goals is a silly one. Look at all the best managers in the world at the moment: Guardiola, Ferguson, Mourinho and so on, master tacticians, every one of them.

The other point I was trying to make is that the FA is a bit of a mess. They keep getting new managers in to fix long standing problems which have been well documented, such as the focus on strength and results rather than skills and development from under 8s level up, the fact that players clearly don't try as hard for country as they do for club (look at the performances in South Africa for evidence of that) and so on. A new manager alone can't fix problems like that, as evidenced by the brilliant Capello doing so poorly in the world cup, and by England's repeated failure to progress beyond the quarter final (once in the last 23 major tournaments).

When you say an English style what do you mean exactly? Could you name a team that plays that way?

kennyrester said:

I don't like watching England because they're boring, but that wasn't my point. 

My point was that while I understand that you were exaggerating when you said no tactics are needed, the idea that a tactician isn't needed and all england need is o get someone in to motivate the team to go out and try their socks off and score more goals is a silly one. Look at all the best managers in the world at the moment: Guardiola, Ferguson, Mourinho and so on, master tacticians, every one of them.

The other point I was trying to make is that the FA is a bit of a mess. They keep getting new managers in to fix long standing problems which have been well documented, such as the focus on strength and results rather than skills and development from under 8s level up, the fact that players clearly don't try as hard for country as they do for club (look at the performances in South Africa for evidence of that) and so on. A new manager alone can't fix problems like that, as evidenced by the brilliant Capello doing so poorly in the world cup, and by England's repeated failure to progress beyond the quarter final (once in the last 23 major tournaments).

When you say an English style what do you mean exactly? Could you name a team that plays that way?

when i say english style,i mean attacking teams even if it means leaving yourself open and not worrying about it,so an open game really as opposed to teams that stay tight,a naive type of football if you will,i find that is when we are at our best,end to end a bit like english league football which of course isn't great in the usual searing heat of tournament football,also i am believer of having an english manager as other countries have their own people in charge

now i am not against foreign managers at all i like sven and capello,somehow capelllo and england jsut didn't fit i actually couldn't understand what he was saying in post match which is frustrating,i'll give top managers a chance but i also believe in giving english blokes a chance with their own country if they want it

last 8 is where england are at,thats fine with me,i don't see why you or anyone else has a problem with that on the worlds stage,yes maybe our playeers do underperform compared to our club football but english top flight club football is so massive now,the fa are secondary but i come from a time befroe the prem,i come from a time before football was rarely on the telly

i'm tired of the continual digs at engaland to be honest,quarter finals is good enough for me,i enjoy tournament football and watching england,you may find watching england boring but then they are not your team and to be fair watching england isn't that boring in big tournamentts there is always something going on especially when we meet the big teams

i don't understand why other people and non england people get so critical when england fail,like we should be winning or something anyway i am rambling now,i enjoy football as a whole,watching other countries too in tournaments,i understand england are disliked but its all pretty childish if you ask me

i remember watching england play argentina in 1986 in mexico great game we lost,lineker missed the eqauliser by a shade with two argentinans hanging off him,i remember 1990 waddle hiiting the post and gazza miising the ball by a cm against the germans to take us too the final,infact england 1990 built the premiership of today as that is when TV football really took off and murdoch saw the potential,still rambling

yes ferguson,mourinho,guardiola(a great player in his day) great managers but also with the 3 biggest clubs in the world barring bayern and the 2 milans,club football is not the same as international football in my opinion but of course you need a plan but personally i'd rather england go out as england and play with their hearts and pride and just believe in themselves,not enough positivity around england i don't care if they get beaten aslong as we are putting the opposition under pressure and asking questions of their defencw,tournament football is over before it starts just enjoy it first

anyway,as you can tell i will stick up for england as they are my team and country,good luck to the irish in poland and ukraine,i will be watching

oh and teh fa a mess,of course it is,they are a crazy setup and refused brian clough when he wanted to be england manager,i think we are still paying for that in karma,a big mistake but that is the england cronies for you

and capellos record is pld 39 W 27 D 7 L 5 of course freindlies don't really matter but evrybody is judged the same and teams do like to play at wembley a little bit,i think capello should not have quit/forced out and done the euros but hey it wasn't to be

Above & Beyond

NiKKoM said:
England should get Guus Hiddink, while his last spell at Turkey and Russia didn't go to well, he's still a master in tournament games..

He tends to do well with a team of nobodies, not with a team of divas.