By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Final Fantasy XIII-2 gets 5.4 on Gamrreview - how is that possible?

Tagged games:

mantlepiecek said:
Rainbird said:
mantlepiecek said:
I think it's unfair that the person who hated FF XIII so much was asked to review its sequel.

How so? He's a fan of the series in general, and Square promised that many of the things wrong with FFXIII would be fixed in the sequel. It also seems that for the first five hours or so, Square had in fact got it right and then everything went south.

The score seems a little harsh from where I'm sitting, but I don't think it seems unjustified.

The important thing to note is the little text below the score that says "Mediocre". FFXIII-2 is not a terrible game, it's simply average, with the high points being balanced out by the low points, going by the review

....The reviewer pretty much bashed FF XIII and many who liked it. I am not really defending the game, the choice of the reviewer was very peculiar.

I don't think there's anything wrong with a choice like that though. The reviewer clearly has a history with the series, so many Final Fantasy fans will know where he's coming from. Seeing as how Square have been saying that FFXIII-2 will fix what was wrong with FFXIII, choosing a critical reviewer who can put that claim to the test seems like a sensible choice to me.

Around the Network
ryuzaki57 said:

http://gamrreview.vgchartz.com/review/49773/final-fantasy-xiii-2/

I'm astonished that a well-established website as this one could let publish such an aggressive pamphlet :(

FFXII-2 has 7 to 9 on all the other websites I checked.

Your thoughts? Do you reckon it's a fair review?

I believe it's a fair review. Runa outlined his history with the series and clearly told what worked and what didn't work for him. A good review in other words.

overall the game is getting positive reviews from people playing it and thats all it matters!!

That's the problem with multiple reviewers representing one site in my opinion - many differences of opinion all under the same name.

But if a game really is that good it should be able to make a person who had no interest in the game become interested. Finding the right fanboy will give us another overly praised 9.0 - 10 review score.

Rainbird said:
mantlepiecek said:
Rainbird said:
mantlepiecek said:
I think it's unfair that the person who hated FF XIII so much was asked to review its sequel.

How so? He's a fan of the series in general, and Square promised that many of the things wrong with FFXIII would be fixed in the sequel. It also seems that for the first five hours or so, Square had in fact got it right and then everything went south.

The score seems a little harsh from where I'm sitting, but I don't think it seems unjustified.

The important thing to note is the little text below the score that says "Mediocre". FFXIII-2 is not a terrible game, it's simply average, with the high points being balanced out by the low points, going by the review

....The reviewer pretty much bashed FF XIII and many who liked it. I am not really defending the game, the choice of the reviewer was very peculiar.

I don't think there's anything wrong with a choice like that though. The reviewer clearly has a history with the series, so many Final Fantasy fans will know where he's coming from. Seeing as how Square have been saying that FFXIII-2 will fix what was wrong with FFXIII, choosing a critical reviewer who can put that claim to the test seems like a sensible choice to me.

I agree with this. A review is meant to help people make a purchasing decision about a game. People who were fans of Final Fantasy XIII will buy it regardless and people new to the series are likely to avoid it altogether. That leaves people who have a similar history to the reviewer (myself included) who were critical of FFXIII. Seems like the logical choice to me.

Around the Network

from when did justice ever existed in this world!?

maybe it's not perfect, but it's FF and definitely is not 5.4

don't mind my username, that was more than 10 years ago, I'm a different person now, amazing how people change ^_^

Just one more of many examples where I think VGChartz did not deliver a good RPG review.

I know these are different reviewers, but when you have a review of FFXIII giving it a 9.0 and then one of FFXIII-2 giving it a 5.4, you can be sure that the credibility of our reviews decline.

Barozi said:
Just one more of many examples where I think VGChartz did not deliver a good RPG review.

I know these are different reviewers, but when you have a review of FFXIII giving it a 9.0 and then one of FFXIII-2 giving it a 5.4, you can be sure that the credibility of our reviews decline.

Publications are not required to have games reviewed by similar reviewers with similar tastes. I've argued this with Kantor before: it's not one of the requirements for a good publication. Uniformity is not necessary.

Khuutra said:
Barozi said:

Publications are not required to have games reviewed by similar reviewers with similar tastes. I've argued this with Kantor before: it's not one of the requirements for a good publication. Uniformity is not necessary.

Oh I know.
Just speaking for the masses

Barozi said:
Khuutra said:

Oh I know.
Just speaking for the masses

"The masses" probably see this review as a balancing force against the FFXIII review, which according to many was too high.