By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony's Q3 FY2011 Earnings (2 billion loss - 6.5m PS3 / 2.4m PSP / 0.9m PS2)

JGarret said:
If the Vita fails (by that, I mean performing well under Sony´s expectations), how likely is it Sony would exit the handheld business?

PS4 better be a profitable machine from day one.

Good luck to Kaz in turning the ship around.

isnt Vita already profitable ?

i´ve seen something about Vita that the Cost was 150$ or some...

Around the Network
Argh_College said:
JGarret said:
If the Vita fails (by that, I mean performing well under Sony´s expectations), how likely is it Sony would exit the handheld business?

Two things

1.Vita is expected by someone at sony to be profitable in three years.

2. The cost you listed even if it was accurate doesn't include marketing, employee, transportation, and other expenses outside of the actual product pieces. 

Argh_College said:
JGarret said:

I wouldn´t know, Argh.

Maybe ethomaz and/or kowenicki know something about it.

But assuming it is...on the other hand, everyone seems to be complaining about the price after the 3DS got its massive price cut last year, potentially leading to low sales.

Between a rock and a hard place.It sucks.

Train wreck said: "As for gaming itself, there is no doubt in my mind that the current era we are in is a Microsoft dominated one, they have been the most consistent video game company for the past three years or so and will be able to dictate gaming on their terms."

It´s interesting, the Xbox is now the 'cool' console in the U.S., which is the world´s biggest market.

If MS plays their cards right, they got a chance to successfully capitalize on that and transfer it to their next system, potentially making the "XB720" the winner in the U.S., even after launching a year (?) after the Wii U (of course, let´s see how Nintendo plays their cards)

So, if the next Xbox takes the U.S. by storm and keeps it that way, while continuing gaining presence in Europe, maybe, just maybe it ends up the number 1 system next gen.

Of course, both Wii U and PS4 might do that too, we never know, it´s such a volatile industry, but that´s one of the reasons it´s so interesting.

I don't think Sony minds being behind in the USA, they make less and less on each PS3 sold in the USA.
Unfortunately European sales aren't going much better for them the past 2 years.

First 2 columns is what Sony gains from each overseas sale.
Last 2 columns is what MS makes on each overseas sale. MS should up their marketing in Japan.

1 USD->Yen 1 Eur->Yen 100 Yen->USD 1 Eur->USD
Dec 2006    115.3          153.5           0.867            1.331
Dec 2007    111.1          162.5           0.900            1.463
Dec 2008      93.6          118.3           1.068            1.263
Dec 2009      86.6          130.8           1.155            1.510
Dec 2010      84.0          110.5           1.190            1.315
Dec 2011      77.6          104.6           1.288            1.348

MS is sitting pretty on a weak US dollar as a big exporter, plus it's biggest market is at home.
Nintendo and Sony are very dependent on exchange rates.

Around the Network
Kynes said:
Shinobi-san said:
Seece said:
Kynes said:
This is why the 50 $/€ cut was a bad move. Almost 400 million $ lost in revenue and profit, when Sony needs it most.

They're going to have to do the same 'strategic' move in September this year again to face WIiU, Possible $99 Wii but most certaintly a cheaper 360.

But then they didn't have anything to spur on growth like MS has with Kinect so I guess it was their last option. I don't get this need for companies to be shipping a certaint level of products, when you're in this sttae surely profitability should be your sole focus on every decision?!

Well i think it was a lose lose situation for Sony, if they hadnt dropped the price and sales performed considerably worse than what they are, then we would be hearing about all the doom and gloom about how sony is being dominated by MS and losing the market to competitors.

Atleast with these sales they have a chance of being up YOY and highlighting the strenth of the brand and its continued growth (although i think they will ship below 14m), into its 6th year. Its not always about raw profits, sometimes a good outlook on a certain product/brand name can be more beneficial imo.

A product/brand name isn't that useful to a bankrupt company.

HAHA true true :) They not bankrupt yet though!

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

pezus said:
Hyruken said:
So what are we thinking then ps3 over-tracked by about 500k or so on here then? Haven't looked at the vgc numbers so haven't a clue.

On another note was in Morrisons (UK supermarket) and they had massive discount on the ps3's. 160gb for £150. That is cheaper then the 360. Never thought we would see that day.

Nope, PS3 probably spot on. 1.7m on shelves, more than they had last year on shelves.

Where are you getting the 1.7m on shelves by the end of 2011?

Sony shipped 14.1 million consoles this year -- http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=139492&page=1  and Vgchartz has them selling 14.059 million consoles in 2011 -- http://www.vgchartz.com/yearly/2011/Global/

Unless the shipment figure that sales gave for the PS3 is wrong and they actually shipped 15.76 million consoles in 2011.

yo_john117 said:
pezus said:
Hyruken said:
So what are we thinking then ps3 over-tracked by about 500k or so on here then? Haven't looked at the vgc numbers so haven't a clue.

On another note was in Morrisons (UK supermarket) and they had massive discount on the ps3's. 160gb for £150. That is cheaper then the 360. Never thought we would see that day.

Nope, PS3 probably spot on. 1.7m on shelves, more than they had last year on shelves.

Sony shipped 14.1 million consoles this year -- http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=139492&page=1  and Vgchartz has them selling 14.059 million consoles in 2011 -- http://www.vgchartz.com/yearly/2011/Global/

Unless the shipment figure that sales gave for the PS3 is wrong and they actually shipped 15.76 million consoles in 2011.

Sales and Shipments arnt contained to years, we have 1.7 on shelves compared to lifetime shipments.

So is the ps4 and vita gonna be cut?

Seece said:
yo_john117 said:
pezus said:
Hyruken said:

Sales and Shipments arnt contained to years, we have 1.7 on shelves compared to lifetime shipments.

Well that's just a stupid and rather confusing way to go about it.