By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony's Q3 FY2011 Earnings (2 billion loss - 6.5m PS3 / 2.4m PSP / 0.9m PS2)

so who's canceling their vita pre-orders, lol. i just hope that santa monica and naughty dog make it out alive -- i love their games.

Around the Network

So what are we thinking then ps3 over-tracked by about 500k or so on here then? Haven't looked at the vgc numbers so haven't a clue.

On another note was in Morrisons (UK supermarket) and they had massive discount on the ps3's. 160gb for £150. That is cheaper then the 360. Never thought we would see that day.

pezus said:
Hyruken said:
So what are we thinking then ps3 over-tracked by about 500k or so on here then? Haven't looked at the vgc numbers so haven't a clue.

On another note was in Morrisons (UK supermarket) and they had massive discount on the ps3's. 160gb for £150. That is cheaper then the 360. Never thought we would see that day.

Nope, PS3 probably spot on. 1.7m on shelves, more than they had last year on shelves.

1.7m seems a bit too much to me. If sales have been slowing then why would they make more? They did 14.4m in 2010. They forecast lower then that this time around so if they are expecting a lot lower i.e 500k then why would they increase production and have more on shelves? I could be missing something there but if your a company losing a shit load of money a day surely you wouldn't waste more money on producing more of a product that has less demand then it did the same period the year before?

Hyruken said:
pezus said:
Hyruken said:

Nope, PS3 probably spot on. 1.7m on shelves, more than they had last year on shelves.

1.7m seems a bit too much to me. If sales have been slowing then why would they make more? They did 14.4m in 2010. They forecast lower then that this time around so if they are expecting a lot lower i.e 500k then why would they increase production and have more on shelves? I could be missing something there but if your a company losing a shit load of money a day surely you wouldn't waste more money on producing more of a product that has less demand then it did the same period the year before?

If that's your viewpoint then you should be asking if we've got it undertracked ...

We have US,EU and Japanese Numbers.

Yet Xbox 360 and Ps3 have alot of Consoles on Shelves, maybe both undertracked elsewhere.

Around the Network
Seece said:
Hyruken said:
pezus said:
Hyruken said:

If that's your viewpoint then you should be asking if we've got it undertracked ...

As I said I didn't look at the numbers so was asking for opinions. I just find it hard to believe that a company losing that much cash would have that amount of consoles just sitting around. Maybe they thought the holidays were going to be better then it turned out in the US after the november they had.

pezus said:
Hyruken said:
Seece said:
Hyruken said:
pezus said:
Hyruken said:

As I said I didn't look at the numbers so was asking for opinions. I just find it hard to believe that a company losing that much cash would have that amount of consoles just sitting around. Maybe they thought the holidays were going to be better then it turned out in the US after the november they had.

It still sounds to me like you think we are actually undertracking it, but originally you stated we might be overtracking. Which is it?

Well until someone tells me what vgc had it as for that period I can't possibly answer. Reason I "assumed" it was over was because people are saying 360 won the year etc where as last i saw we had ps3 winning by a small margin. But now they are saying it has 1.7m on shelves and honestly I think that is too much to be sitting on a shelf. Especially for a company bleeding money. If it that amount then I would say it is possibly under-tracked. Good enough for you?

I do not know whether Sony should cut any of its divisions. I would downsize them if your tv division is doing so poorly downsize it. Instead of releasing up to ten new TVs maybe release three or four. I also think Sony could launch a Home Entertainment Unit. A smart TV with PS4 built into it. It would have a built in PSEye. Retail 1,400$ 1080p 42inchwith a higher end 3D model for anyone wanting it in 3D. The HEU would be an I-Pad Tv on steroids with video chat capable of using a landline or internet connection to call people's phones cell or home or other HEU's. A PS4 inside allowing it to play any Playstation game on the market. Bluray player built in. Cloud to cut hardware costs, all of the apps availible on a Sony phone with all of the Playstation store software. The device would be able to do absolutely everything entertainment wise in your house. A keyboard accessory to replace the good ol PC. Of course do not use a touch screen thus keeping retail costs lower.

Sony needs to unify its different branches. Making products that all work together and are compatable. Apple can't release a HEU like I mentioned above though I know smart tvs are headed in that direction.

A smart phone capable of playing Vita level titles would also be amazing. I was surprised the higher end 3G model was not a full blown phone. It would have been the best phone on the market hardware power wise, it could have also been sold cheap with a three year contract thus increasing Vita's market share.

Then Sony could use its massive media collection to back these massive devices. Potentially recovering.

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

If the Vita fails (by that, I mean performing well under Sony´s expectations), how likely is it Sony would exit the handheld business?

PS4 better be a profitable machine from day one.

Good luck to Kaz in turning the ship around.

This worries me.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.